Trip Report "It's so dark and my bum goes up!" - A Day in DL/DCA With a 3 Year Old

Hello all! This is just a one day trip report for a day we spent in Disneyland and Disney California Adventure on March 4. It’ll be short and sweet, feel free to read in between cliffhangers in @Tuvalu and @amjt660 trip reports :hilarious::bookworm:

Who: Me and my husband Lukas and our daughter Kinley (3.5 years old)

Wait a minute,” you might say, “I read your last trip report and don’t you have 2 children?!?

Why yes, yes I do. We were spending a week in Palm Springs with my in-laws, and of course I had to do a day in Disney because it is thisclose. Because we only had one day and our son is a very busy 18 month old who has never been as good of a stroller rider/napper as our daughter, we decided to let him have a day with Oma and Opa at the house in Palm Springs while we ripped through Disneyland with our 3.5 year old. Trust me, he didn’t know the difference, and he was quite happy spending the day here:

Where: Disneyland and Disney California Adventure. After hours and hours of research (ie. reading @lostpro9het, @ajrwdwgirl, @Doc Disney and many others trip reports), I decided we could “do it all” and booked us a one day park hopper with Maxpass.

DCA had EMH 8-9am and DL was open 9am-10pm. I decided to go to Disneyland first and book our Maxpasses for the afternoon at DCA. According to Google Maps, the house we were staying at was 2 hours from Disneyland so we decided to leave at 6am, hoping to arrive at DL at 8am (positive thinkers, we are). We stopped at Cabazon for Starbucks and gas and were on our way.

Boy oh boy, did I underestimate California traffic. People, I am a simple Canadian girl from the Prairies and this traffic was terrifying. What felt like countless lanes in both directions, carpool lanes (which we did take advantage of), fasttrak lanes, motorcycles just riding the lines between the lanes, and the ever-wonderful coming to a gridlock for no apparent reason.

giphy.gif

So, thanks to this wonderful traffic, we arrived at the Disneyland parking lot at 8:40am, and I knew we weren’t making rope drop. The plus side to this was that we didn’t have any major rope drop plans. The main option for rope drop at DL would be Peter Pan which is a hard pass for me. I don’t get the appeal to that ride, it's fine but it does not make sense that the line is always so long. Kinley did just watch Peter Pan for the first time a couple weeks ago and did have hopes of meeting "peter man", but OH MY GOODNESS how racist is that movie?!? I hadn’t seen it in years and it shocked me. I seriously considered just pitching it but I am trying to see the magic instead of just the blatant racism, but it’s difficult. I imagine the second option for rope drop would be Indiana Jones, but Kinley isn’t tall enough for that ride and I knew we could do it single rider later.

Noticed this on our way in. Just gonna leave this here. It has a sunroof, guys.

So we made it through the gates by 9:20 and were at our “rope-drop” attraction by 9:27. (75% battery, I know, I was already panicking)

I HATE the queues for character meet and greets, they move soo slow and are terribly boring, so we headed first to Royal Hall. Now, checking the app before arriving it looked like Aurora would meet at Snow White’s Wishing Well a few times throughout the day and we knew we wanted to see her. We were expecting Cinderella, Snow White, and Ariel at the Royal Hall and Kinley was on a huge Cinderella kick this week (it changes week to week) so that was going to be good. So weren’t we surprised when we walked through the door (after about a 15 minute as-posted wait) and saw..

Aurora! I was happy, but somewhat worried because I knew we also HAD to meet Cinderella, and Snow White and Ariel so I didn’t know who we would miss by having Aurora here.

A side note on the wand you will notice in most of Kinley’s pictures. The day before this we went to Costco (I LOVE Costco and like to visit in other cities as the selection is different everywhere but prices remain amazing - no alcohol at the Costco in Winnipeg either so that’s a big highlight in the USA Costcos). Anyways, we found this Frozen book that came with this wand and if you hold the wand over different pages in the book it makes different sounds. Kinley became very attached to this wand and had to be holding it constantly in DL. The plus of this was that it gave every princess something to talk to her about because she is a VERY talkative 3 year old, but clams right up as soon as she gets to a princess. They also loved to mention her Mickey “jewel” bracelet that I bought her on our trip to WDW when she was 18 months and she just recently started loving and wearing it every day.

At Royal Hall we ended up also meeting…

Snow White! Who loved Kinley’s “jewels” - “Did your dwarves get those for you?” :hilarious:

And..

Ariel! Who Kinley also loves.

We had them sign a picture frame. I got the idea from @blgauger back in the day when she couldn’t just pop in to say hi to characters whenever she pleased (lots of name dropping in this report, I have no shame:happy:). I also brought her “Junior Encyclopedia of Animated Characters” that we had the characters sign on our last trip, but Aurora was our only “new” M&G so she was the only one who had to sign both.

krause

Original Poster
I love that Kinley loved GotG, BTMR and the “Ghost” ride! Go girl! Such sweet pics with the princesses!

Thanks! I was soo thrilled that she loved them I spent a lot of time prepping her :joyfull:

I'm not a Tower of Terror person, but I would love to try the guardians of the Galaxy version someday! It just seems FUN!

It is! It's like a totally different ride!

GOG Misson Breakout rocks!!
IMHO they created a “new” ride with the makeover
( similar to how Dinosaur and Indy share a ride system but are very different)
It is fun, exhilarating and plays great music!
TOT is also a great ride for an obviously different reason

And the Animation building is not just a holding pen for Frozen lovers
It is an amazing rest stop on a hot day to soak in Disney art and music as you chill on the couches
It is a must do for me

Max

ToT is terrifying, GotG is just fun! Yes I imagine if it had been hot outside, we would have wanted to spend more time in the Animation building. There were definitely a few people taking advantages of the couches 😴

Wow - your daughter is braver than me and I’m 50 years older 😂

Haha, I sure hope that she stays brave for future trips! (And that her brother is brave too!)

Just another DL fact, GOTG>TOT!

How did she take to Rocket in the collector's room?

Yes! She was a bit shocked by Rocket, I had to tell her a few times that he was just pretend, and she kept calling him "that fox" 🤦. But when we were waiting in the area to get in the elevator there is a lot of banging noises so then I could just tell her "that fox" was causing trouble and then the loud noises weren't as scary :hilarious:

Kinley is one fearless girl! Most impressive!

Thanks! I was very impressed too :happy:

What an adorable little girl you have! So glad you enjoyed!

I agree about the Peter Pan movie. We watched it last weekend and I was a little taken aback at the things I didn’t remember.

Thanks! It's interesting re-watching all the movies with my kids now and all the parts you don't remember. Like how terrifying is Snow White when she's running through the forest and the wolves chasing Belle in BatB?! She's not fazed by any of it yet, but I never know if she'll start being more scared of it as her imagination continues to grow.

krause

Original Poster
Next must-do on the list = meeting the big man himself. Gotta get to Mickey’s house. Every time we entered a park there were a few of the Fab 5 meeting in the main circle but they always had very long lines or their lines were closed by the time we got there. Mickey’s house had a wait time of 60 minutes for the previous 2 hours so I was a bit nervous. But I opened the app and - TEN minutes!!

We hustled over there, and walked through his house which was very cute and wouldn’t have been the worst queue to wait in, but it was near the advertised 10 minutes and we got our final signature on the frame!

Mickey had Kinley twirl for him which she loves! (She FREAKS out if her dresses don’t twirl properly).

And we got a final, very tired, family (minus Malcolm :hilarious:) picture.

The final must-do was a nighttime show. I love night shows, and (don’t disown me @Tuvalu), I love the projections as much as I love the fireworks :hilarious:. Mickey’s Mix Magic was playing at 8:00pm as well as 9:30pm and it was 7:30pm at this time so we decided to find a spot for the 8:00pm show. The ledges at DL are much wider than at WDW and we found a perfect place to sit and watch the show.

I grabbed some popcorn and we waited for it to start. It was a very cute show, I love the music and the projections (although not as good as the ones on Cinderella Castle obviously). I was disappointed there weren’t any fireworks at all, as it is advertised as “Mickey’s Mix Magic with Fireworks”, and Kinley was disappointed because I had promised her fireworks if she would sit there for half an hour 🤦. But it was still cute.

We headed out after this as it was COLD (And we just had a month of -50 :coldfeet:), and we had a long drive back. We got to our vehicle just after 9pm and with night traffic were home in under an hour an a half.

Attachments

• f75e44af-d369-4236-9980-227ea0e3a5e1.jpg
    f75e44af-d369-4236-9980-227ea0e3a5e1.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 183

krause

Original Poster
DL opinions - it was great! We had a wonderful day. It was nice only having to keep the 3 of us organized and it was a huge relief that Kinley did well on the “big” rides as I did worry she would freak out at the last minute.

Maxpass worked smoothly and got me what I needed to make my plan work out.

There was nothing that I said “Oh, I wish we had been able to do that” (other than maybe meeting Groot).

Grizzly River Run and Space Mountain were down for refurbishment and we would have done those if they were open. We didn’t do Incredicoaster - we could have done it Single Rider while Kinley napped but I had just inhaled my creamy mac & cheese and radler, and Lukas never feels the need to do rides by himself, so we just skipped it and had a leisurely stroll down Pixar Pier. I LOVE Pixar movies, especially Inside Out, so the more characters the better for me :happy:

We have come here twice now, both times a day trip from a week in Palm Springs. I definitely think it’s worth the trip, and if we’re lucky enough to get a [paid] trip to Palm Springs again, I will always make this trip. I would love to do a longer California trip when the kids are older, including a few days at Disneyland and DCA, but for now one day is enough. I think 3 days non-hopper (2 DL and 1 DCA) is what I would do with a longer trip.

Thanks for reading, friends! I will continue to enjoy your reports until I am lucky enough to make another trip of my own.

amjt660

Premium Member
Love the report and the fact that Kinley is such a trooper!! (Did you get the Cdn content?? - maybe because you were only there for a good time not a long time or that you should raise a little heck until you do!!)

I agree with your 3 days at DLR being a good length but I personally add the hopper.
Because the parks are so close and the (last time I went) the FP are not connected you can hop back and forth on each day quite easily.

Stay cool (and warm) in the Peg!!

Max

youngdeb

Looks like you guys had a great time! GotG was the only ride that scared the bejeezus out of my 3 year old. She went on all the roller coasters with no problems but she did not like the drops on Guardians. I felt serious mom guilt after that one and she got the first Groot toy she could find in the gift shop afterwards to stop the crying!

krause

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing your trip with us 😀

Thanks for reading!!

Love the report and the fact that Kinley is such a trooper!! (Did you get the Cdn content?? - maybe because you were only there for a good time not a long time or that you should raise a little heck until you do!!)

I agree with your 3 days at DLR being a good length but I personally add the hopper.
Because the parks are so close and the (last time I went) the FP are not connected you can hop back and forth on each day quite easily.

Stay cool (and warm) in the Peg!!

Max

Thanks for reading!!

You can definitely get a lot done with the Hopper and it is awesome how close the parks are, I just don’t know if hopping is totally necessary (but we never get hoppers in WDW so I’m not a “hopping-pro” 😅)

Above 0 all week and the snow is quickly disappearing 😍

Great TR!! I enjoyed reading it!!

Thanks for reading! You know I’ll be in for your next report!

Looks like you had an awesome day! Love that your daughter is so brave! Thank you for sharing!

Thanks for reading! It was a fantastic day 😊

Kinley knows fireworks are where it’s at!! She and I are kindred spirits. ✨💥🎇

She was soooo mad at me hahaha. She has usually slept through the fireworks shows in the past so I’m not exactly sure where this sudden love comes from 😅

Looks like you guys had a great time! GotG was the only ride that scared the bejeezus out of my 3 year old. She went on all the roller coasters with no problems but she did not like the drops on Guardians. I felt serious mom guilt after that one and she got the first Groot toy she could find in the gift shop afterwards to stop the crying!

Yeah the GotG ride is very different from anything else and it’s hard to prepare them for what’s going to happen (although I think ”it’s so dark and your bum goes up” is a pretty good explanation 😂). I would have felt bad if she didn’t like it too. She was definitely promised lots of treats to get on the rides, but when she got off and loved it she didn’t need a treat anymore 😊

Thanks for sharing! Kinley is soooo cute. We are taking our kiddos in October my little guy is 3 and I hope he can be brave!

Thanks for reading! It helped a lot to watch some POV YouTube videos for the big rides, and of course pretend that I was too scared to get on them so she would “help me” be brave :hilarious:

Thanks for sharing - great report!

Thanks for reading!! Surely there must be another @fractal family trip coming up?! I neeed it to turn my 2019 from a 👎🏻 into a 👍🏻

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom