Pre-Trip It's Never Too Early to Start a PTR, Right?!?

Exciting news!! We're going on another cruise! It just won't be until 2021!

We have promised the kids that we would take them each on a trip as a graduation present, and Logan is finishing up his sophomore year. If you have read any of my other PTRs or even trip reports, you know that I am a planner! I have been on his case to decide what he may want to do so we can 1) start saving money, and 2) I can start researching. He has finally decided that he wants to go on another cruise. He took a few days to decide if he wanted an Alaskan itinerary or a tropical itinerary. He finally decided on a tropical trip. Now we just have to wait for the 2021 itineraries to be released to decide if he wants a longer Caribbean trip or a shorter, but possible Castaway Cay double dip Bahamas trip.

Who: Me (Amy), Brian, Logan (16 now), Lily (14 now), and Owen (11 now)

Here I am with the kids on the last cruise we took in 2014:
10441277_1499221613628158_288993744799845383_n.jpg

Unfortunately, Brian ended up not being able to go on that cruise, so he and I took one later that year.
10703923_1545191275697858_1277682788404302315_n.jpg

Needless to say, we have all changed significantly since then!!
Here are the kids on our trip to Universal last year:
37778259_2111567585726888_4699051000462311424_o.jpg

And at WinterSummerland last year:
37673824_2111578092392504_9133635202080309248_o.jpg

I feel like they all have changed a ton just since last year, too!
Here they are at the zoo on Easter this year:
58378959_2289358567947788_2041766511227437056_o.jpg

Logan has had a busy spring with track! (He's the one in the navy!):
60262925_2302721059944872_2768279097137168384_o.jpg

Lily got a ukelele for her birthday and was thrilled!
56737280_2284582968425348_6042481423070265344_o.jpg

Owen just broke his wrist playing soccer:
60846980_2309731239243854_7076586638867955712_o.jpg

And here are Brian and I sitting at one of the many rainy track meets this year:
55564279_2275049709378674_7913394139557789696_o.jpg

Unfortunately, I won't have anything to update for quite some time, but I was so excited and wanted to share with you guys!!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
So, it's looking less and less likely that we will actually go on our cruise this year!! :( We are still hopeful, but not overly optimistic! We do still plan to go if they resume cruising. I figure that all eyes will be on the cruise industry when they resume, so everything will be done as perfectly and safely as possible. Brian is scheduled to get his first vaccine on Feb. 19, and hopefully Logan and I will be able to get ours before July as well. Lily will be old enough for the Pfizer vaccine in April, so fingers crossed she will have access to that too. Logan has decided that he still wants to do a cruise even if we have to put it off until next summer, so I plan to pay in full shortly so we get the extra future cruise credit if it gets cancelled. We are still planning to go to Florida even if the cruise is cancelled. Our SeaWorld tickets are set to expire on Dec. 31, 2021, so we want to use them. We will likely still go to Volcano Bay, SeaWorld, and Kennedy Space Center. We'll see what discounts come out for Disney and maybe see about doing a few days there as well.

I really feel like crying about the way Logan's senior year is shaping up and cancellation of the cruise may just put me over the edge! They weren't able to go to any football games, no Homecoming dance, no attendance at basketball games, their senior trip was never even planned, it's not likely that they will have a prom, and who knows about graduation! It makes me very sad for this class of seniors! On a brighter note, here are a few of his senior pictures!
IMG_20210109_0002.jpg

IMG_20210109_0004.jpg

IMG_20210109_0006.jpg

IMG_20210109_0005.jpg

We are busy now deciding where he is going to go to college. He wants to pursue a computer science and engineering degree. There are only a few schools that offer that combined degree. He has been accepted into that program and the Honors programs at University of Iowa, University of Toledo, and Ohio State. He has been accepted in the computer and information technology program at Purdue and the engineering program at Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute. I think he will end up at Iowa or Toledo.

Last edited:

LisaBelle

Such a handsome young man! I really feel for all the seniors and their families that are missing out on so many things! I hope they will be able to have a graduation. Congratulations to Logan on being accepted to so many amazing college programs. My fingers are crossed for a graduation ceremony and a celebratory cruise/trip.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Such a handsome young man! I really feel for all the seniors and their families that are missing out on so many things! I hope they will be able to have a graduation. Congratulations to Logan on being accepted to so many amazing college programs. My fingers are crossed for a graduation ceremony and a celebratory cruise/trip.
Thank you so much!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Plan B is in place! Still holding out hope for Plan A, but not holding my breath! The cruise is paid in full so we can take advantage of the future cruise credit, but not really liking the itineraries for next summer that came out today. Logan is mulling them over to decide what he wants to do. We plan to put a deposit on one when they open bookings on March 24. We are really upset that the only CC double dip is in Sept which is not possible due to college. Guess we'll see what they come up with for the Wish as well, even though we wouldn't get the extra cruise credit for that. The big news is that we have a reservation for 2 adjoining rooms at Pop Century and 5 day tickets if we don't go on the cruise. We will still go to Volcano Bay one day and SeaWorld one day, but decided to skip the Kennedy Space Center since we wouldn't be at Port Canaveral.
Logan has decided he will be attending the University of Iowa!
20201113_123337.jpg

And I got my first vaccine today! Brian has had both of his and Logan will be eligible to get his starting on March 29. Lily has to wait until her birthday in April to be old enough for the Pfizer vaccine, then she'll get hers too!

DAKOTADISNEY

Congratulations to your son! Iowa is a great school. Just a side note our neice is a Professor at Rensselaer Polytechnic so I was sure that would be a good pick as well. I have read all of your trip reports and love seeing how your kids have grown up.

littleroo

Well that is all, mostly, good news!! Yeah!! Congratulations to Logan!! I had my first shot this week. It feels so liberating to have lots of hope again!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Congratulations to your son! Iowa is a great school. Just a side note our neice is a Professor at Rensselaer Polytechnic so I was sure that would be a good pick as well. I have read all of your trip reports and love seeing how your kids have grown up.
Thanks! Rensselaer would have been higher on his list if it was closer to home! He's excited about going to Iowa. I wish they would quit growing up so quickly!!

MotherofaPrincessLover

Plan B is in place! Still holding out hope for Plan A, but not holding my breath! The cruise is paid in full so we can take advantage of the future cruise credit, but not really liking the itineraries for next summer that came out today. Logan is mulling them over to decide what he wants to do. We plan to put a deposit on one when they open bookings on March 24. We are really upset that the only CC double dip is in Sept which is not possible due to college. Guess we'll see what they come up with for the Wish as well, even though we wouldn't get the extra cruise credit for that. The big news is that we have a reservation for 2 adjoining rooms at Pop Century and 5 day tickets if we don't go on the cruise. We will still go to Volcano Bay one day and SeaWorld one day, but decided to skip the Kennedy Space Center since we wouldn't be at Port Canaveral.
Logan has decided he will be attending the University of Iowa!
View attachment 540484
And I got my first vaccine today! Brian has had both of his and Logan will be eligible to get his starting on March 29. Lily has to wait until her birthday in April to be old enough for the Pfizer vaccine, then she'll get hers too!
One of my best friends would be very excited about this-her and her husband are big Iowa fans. My cousin also just started the nursing program there in January.

PolynesianPrincess

Just getting caught up on this! I REALLY hope y'all get to cruise this summer!!!
Also HOW is Logan going to college?!? I remember reading your very first TR and they were so little! Where does the time go?!
I'm getting my first vaccine today! YAY!! :)

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Just getting caught up on this! I REALLY hope y'all get to cruise this summer!!!
Also HOW is Logan going to college?!? I remember reading your very first TR and they were so little! Where does the time go?!
I'm getting my first vaccine today! YAY!! :)
We REALLY hope we get to cruise this summer too!!
Time definitely needs to slow down! He's going to college and Lily will be able to drive next month!
Yay for the vaccine! Logan becomes eligible to get it on Monday and plans to get it as soon as he can get an appointment.

DisneyMorgan

After reading your reports these past years, I can't believe he is going to college!! I'm hoping you get to cruise this summer (I almost booked the same cruise you're on, but we decided to hold off on cruising this year)!!!

But I'm also hoping you get to go to WDW! So much new stuff to see!!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
After reading your reports these past years, I can't believe he is going to college!! I'm hoping you get to cruise this summer (I almost booked the same cruise you're on, but we decided to hold off on cruising this year)!!!

But I'm also hoping you get to go to WDW! So much new stuff to see!!
We find it hard to believe that he is going to college too! I am so conflicted!! I really want to go on this cruise since it is his graduation present, but I also want to see all of the new stuff at WDW. I am mostly concerned that something may come up with school for him next summer and we wouldn't be able to go, and then he wouldn't have gotten his special graduation trip. We did book a 4 nighter next June out of Miami in case (or most likely when) this year's gets cancelled. I hate that the only double dip next year is in September, and I am not thrilled about going out of Miami, but whatever, we will live!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom