It's getting so it's not safe to try and post a legitimate photo

barnum42

Original Poster
Hello all - I just found that some web owners can get pretty offensive if they feel you are stealing their images.

In a sadly now deleted thread I posted a web photo found via Google Images - where you google the word it shows the image which you can then see full size and get a link to post in a thread.

Unfortunately as I just looked at the photo and not the actual site I failed to see a warning from the owner that they would not take kindly to their photos being displayed elsewhere and this they did by changing it to an offensive image.

My apologies to anyone unfortunate enough to have seen said image. My thanks to those who knowing me well were able to defend my reputation in my absence and try to inform me via PMs - sadly I was away from my PC when all this was going on.

Once again, sorry for any unintend offense.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
It's no problem, we all know it wasnt intentional. Unfortunately there are some iresponsible lunatics running websites out there, and you stumbled across one there on that site.

The thread was removed quickly, so no harm done.

Uponastar

So sorry this happened, Joe.
I know we'll all be more aware of this type of thing in the future.

Wasn't about to let anyone talk badly about you, though.:kiss:

barnum42

Original Poster
wdwmagic said:
It's no problem, we all know it wasnt intentional. Unfortunately there are some iresponsible lunatics running websites out there, and you stumbled across one there on that site.

The thread was removed quickly, so no harm done.
Thanks for that.

Shame the whole thread had to be removed.

I don't see it doing any good, but I've also emailed the photographer behind the website in question. He has a right to protect his work from being ripped off, but should be able to do it in a less offensive way.

Connor002

I didn't see it... but that seems awfully distasteful of the site owners.
A little "No direct Linking Message" would be enough.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
nicholas said:
My question is how do the owners of those sites find out their image is being shown elsewhere?

They would be looking for referer entries in their web server log files, which would show the URL of where the image is called from.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Connor002 said:
I didn't see it... but that seems awfully distasteful of the site owners.
A little "No direct Linking Message" would be enough.
Agreed, in fact some sites will not allow a right click on a photo at all.

So sorry it happened to you, though. :wave:

SteveUK

We all know you would never do that on purpose. There are some members who seem to enjoy annoying and upsetting people, but I have always thought of you as one of the good ol' reliable ones. I don't have a very high post count, but I have been around a while and read the boards at least 4/5 times a day.

I didn't see the photo in question - but from what i hear it was quite explicit. I don't suppose you still have the link? :animwink:

No harm done - unfortunately the internet is such that sometimes you just can't avoid stuff like this happening. I think it is something you have to be aware of, and part of the price we pay for the wonder that is the internet.

nicholas

MouseMadness said:
I missed whatever happened, but we all know you well enough to know you'd never intentionally post something offensive here Joe! :)
Unless he's been planning this since day one and was just really patient at gaining our trust so he could finally do this and look innocent ;) hehe

maelstrom

Most of the people who I know that change an image if someone is hotlinking it, change it to say something like "this image is being hotlinked from whatever.com etc". Whenever I find that someone is using one of my images, I just email them about it. I had to message someone from a message board because they were using one of my photographs as their avatar and didn't ask my permission. I don't think I'd ever just change the image to something offensive. That just seems kind of wrong, because most of the time, people are just innocently linking to their image.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
I caught a few people here stealing my pics and claiming them as their own. Now I know what to do next time. :lol: :sohappy: :sohappy:

:lookaroun :lookaroun

Nemo14

Joe - I missed whatever went on, but I know you'd never post anything on here that wasn't suitable. Sorry that this happened to such an entertaining poster!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom