Trip Report It's been 6 years and a global pandemic, but we are back!

Our last trip to WDW was during the summer of 2014. We have since visited six European countries and traveled across the USA (more than once), but we are ready to return to Disneyworld! We began planning over a year ago, fresh on the heels or our latest European adventure. We asked our kids where they wanted to go next summer (2020), Europe or Disney, and they chose Disney (thankfully as we would not be allowed to travel to Europe this summer). I have to say, as much as I enjoyed our visits to Europe, I'm very excited to return to Walt Disney World. So many of our early family adventures were to Disney and I'm excited to be there again now that our kids are older. So much to share since our last visit, and so much to say about our upcoming trip. So much has changed since our original reservation, including a global pandemic. Updates soon!

coachwnh

Original Poster
More flashback pictures! These are from this week 9 years ago:

IMG_8671.JPG

IMG_8683.JPG

IMG_8685.JPG

IMG_8676.JPG

IMG_8679.JPG

IMG_8674.JPG

IMG_8682.JPG

IMG_8672.JPG

IMG_8677.JPG

So much has changed since 2011. 8 days to go!

slipperalwaysfits

FIVE DAYS!!! I usually just go crazy and am so excited I can't focus on anything at 5 days out!! I hope you are experiencing the same happy!! I hope your family has a wonderful time all being together, despite the most unusual circumstances.

Ghostdog

I’ll follow along too. We were scheduled to be at Coronado also Aug 1-8 but cancelled for now; we plan to return someday when the virus is gone.
Stay healthy and have a great trip!

coachwnh

Original Poster
Nine years ago this week, we were relaxing at home after returning from a Disney vacation. We planned our trip dates in order to see the final space shuttle launch that summer. Unfortunately, after multiple delays and the end of our trip, we did not see the launch from Florida. The day after we returned, it launched.
Late on Saturday evening, July 16, 2011, we were watching the news and they mentioned how the shuttle was scheduled to land on Thursday, July 21. My wife and I looked at each other and said, "our annual passes are good until the 21!"
So to summarize what happened next, Crystal called her father (who lives over an hour away) to see if he could watch our dog (Again. He just had her for almost 2 weeks). He agreed. I then said I would get up early on Sunday to see if I could get the oil changed, tires rotated, etc for the drive to Florida. Keep in mind this would be a Sunday. So, after being up late Saturday starting to pack, getting up early Sunday and driving about 2 1/2 hours to drop off the dog, it was off to Firestone to get the car serviced. Its now mid-afternoon when I get home. Everyone was so excited. We got the car packed, and at 4:50 pm July 17, we left the driveway and headed to Disney with the hopes of seeing the shuttle land that Thursday morning.

brifraz

Marching along...
Premium Member
We are three days out!

Based on our experiences this week, I think you will feel pretty good about the way things are being done here in terms of safety. Both MK and AK were no issues at all. We are heading to Epcot for the first time today and plan to be there for the afternoon, but not too late as we expect the later evening is when the local AP crowd and also the drink-around-the-world crowd will make things less comfortable. We aren't in Studios until Monday and definitely a little wary of that (based on the reports from the past couple days). Disney Springs was totally find in the morning and afternoon and even into the evening, but definitely starts getting pretty crowded once the parks start closing at 6pm.

Still planning to try to wave to you on 7/22, but not sure how late we will really be in Springs!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom