Trip Report It's been 6 years and a global pandemic, but we are back!

Our last trip to WDW was during the summer of 2014. We have since visited six European countries and traveled across the USA (more than once), but we are ready to return to Disneyworld! We began planning over a year ago, fresh on the heels or our latest European adventure. We asked our kids where they wanted to go next summer (2020), Europe or Disney, and they chose Disney (thankfully as we would not be allowed to travel to Europe this summer). I have to say, as much as I enjoyed our visits to Europe, I'm very excited to return to Walt Disney World. So many of our early family adventures were to Disney and I'm excited to be there again now that our kids are older. So much to share since our last visit, and so much to say about our upcoming trip. So much has changed since our original reservation, including a global pandemic. Updates soon!

coachwnh

Original Poster
Are you saying that you don't get as wet now?
You pretty much don't get wet at all! They even removed the covered space in the middle of the boats for your belongings. No need to cover them up. The water features that spill over your boat after the big drop are all off, as are the water cannons that people would shot you with from the bridge near the end of the ride. Its an enjoyable ride knowing you won't get more than a few splashes as you ride, even at the bottom of the drop!

cgersic

You pretty much don't get wet at all! They even removed the covered space in the middle of the boats for your belongings. No need to cover them up. The water features that spill over your boat after the big drop are all off, as are the water cannons that people would shot you with from the bridge near the end of the ride. Its an enjoyable ride knowing you won't get more than a few splashes as you ride, even at the bottom of the drop!
I totally agree!! I was sooo glad I went on it this trip!

Ghostdog

I totally agree!! I was sooo glad I went on it this trip!
So, is this a forever thing; the not getting wet? I was always the one to get soaked when we rode with the kids during their elementary years. As they got older and are now college age it’s always been the one ride that we’ve walked past and said nope, wet clothes are no fun and have agreed to pass on as a family.
💦👨‍👩‍👧‍👦👎

cgersic

So, is this a forever thing; the not getting wet? I was always the one to get soaked when we rode with the kids during their elementary years. As they got older and are now college age it’s always been the one ride that we’ve walked past and said nope, wet clothes are no fun and have agreed to pass on as a family.
💦👨‍👩‍👧‍👦👎
I'm not sure if it's just not having all of the effects on or if it's less people in the boat? All's I know is that I'm super happy I went on it!

coachwnh

Original Poster
💦👨‍👩‍👧‍👦👎
I'm not sure if it's just not having all of the effects on or if it's less people in the boat? All's I know is that I'm super happy I went on it!
I’m thinking it’s the effects turned off for sure. Can’t explain the lack of water at the bottom of the drop though. We did ride with as many as 8 people on the trip.
if you ride Grizzly River at California adventure it’s similar. Same type of ride without getting wet. Much more enjoyable

NCState

I’m thinking it’s the effects turned off for sure. Can’t explain the lack of water at the bottom of the drop though. We did ride with as many as 8 people on the trip.
if you ride Grizzly River at California adventure it’s similar. Same type of ride without getting wet. Much more enjoyable
I'm a chicken on rides with drops. Is this a big drop or a drop like on Pirates?

Songbird76

⬆THIS
I may be biased though, being a California girl and all. 😘
I never got to ride the original, but I love love love the current version. It's by far my favorite in Epcot. My daughter and I rode it over and over one morning at RD on our last trip. I love travel, though, so seeing all those different things is inspiring. I've been to Neuschwanstein, I've been to Bryce Canyon/monument valley/Zion national park, and to Paris, but I'd love to see the pyramids, and the iguazu falls.

Songbird76

Are we the only family that looks forward to the drenching? That's the whole reason we go on that ride! It's a nice cool off in Animal Kingdom, where it gets sooo hot. I guess our entire family doesn't like it....A doesn't, but he refuses to set foot in AK ever again, so kind of a moot point.

coachwnh

Original Poster
I know I've been slacking, but school started again (which I'm happy about), I'm still selling beer at Tanczos in Northampton, PA (check us out online), and trying to run everyday. I promise I'll get to the Epcot and dining reviews soon. While you wait, there are so many other great trip reports to enjoy! Cheers 🍻

coachwnh

Original Poster
Just out of curiosity. What sport do you coach?
I've coached cross country, track, or both (mostly as a head coach) for almost 25 years. Coached my own kids in just about everything as they grew up as well. Currently a head winter track coach and asst. in the spring where I teach. Been blessed to coach quite a few state champions and several All Americans in that time, but the years I stepped away to coach my own kids in their sports were the best!

Last edited:

coachwnh

Original Poster
Just a quick update:

Crystal and I spent last weekend in beautiful Charleston, SC for her cousin’s wedding. First time in the city and we loved it! This past summer, her cousin and fiancé asked me to marry them. Now I add that to my life’s accomplishments list.
So, why am I telling you my personal business, because they are huge Disney fans and for part of their ceremony I compared marriage to a Disney vacation. Austin also surprised Laura with a honeymoon at the Boardwalk, where they’ve been all week.
07AF72A3-27CF-40E4-BEDD-072BC92AAC42.jpeg
75471068-2E93-49A3-8370-F3BE397BA72E.jpeg
92D1A490-2328-4B98-917D-85CE8AADDDB6.jpeg
001B0D97-9EEB-4BC8-9AF8-1617FE1A92CD.jpeg
FABD2DD3-4F3E-4AFE-8DEA-32BA75A75C06.jpeg

fractal

Just a quick update:

Crystal and I spent last weekend in beautiful Charleston, SC for her cousin’s wedding. First time in the city and we loved it! This past summer, her cousin and fiancé asked me to marry them. Now I add that to my life’s accomplishments list.
So, why am I telling you my personal business, because they are huge Disney fans and for part of their ceremony I compared marriage to a Disney vacation. Austin also surprised Laura with a honeymoon at the Boardwalk, where they’ve been all week.View attachment 506158View attachment 506160View attachment 506161View attachment 506162View attachment 506163

Congrats to the newlyweds! Are you also a minister?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom