Trip Report It's a trap! (LIVE-ish) ***COMPLETED***

I wish I had seen this sooner

Part 1: In-laws are better than outlaws, right?
  • 3 Nights at Cabana Bay
  • 2 full park days at Universal and maybe partials on the either end.
  • The Cast:
    • MIL
    • SIL
    • and I (BES)
Part 2: Has anyone in this family ever even seen a chicken?
  • 1 night at AKL in a 1 bedroom villa.
  • 6 nights at POP in 2 rooms.
  • 7 days of park hopping
  • The Cast:
    • my parents
    • my younger brother
    • my nephew (who will be 8)
    • and myself

Tuvalu

Premium Member
I rode in the chicken exit elevator once with a 7 year old boy and his dad.

The boy seemed downhearted that he wasn’t “brave enough” to go on the attraction.

The CM picked right up on the boy’s sadness and asked for his name. “Well, <name>, when you get back home I want you to tell your friends that you got to ride in the REAL elevator at the Tower of Terror! And only special kids are allowed to do that!”

The boy beamed.

Too bad your nephew didn’t encounter a CM like that.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Omnia mutantur, nihil interit
Premium Member
Original Poster
I rode in the chicken exit elevator once with a 7 year old boy and his dad.

The boy seemed downhearted that he wasn’t “brave enough” to go on the attraction.

The CM picked right up on the boy’s sadness and asked for his name. “Well, <name>, when you get back home I want you to tell your friends that you got to ride in the REAL elevator at the Tower of Terror! And only special kids are allowed to do that!”

The boy beamed.

Too bad your nephew didn’t encounter a CM like that.

That’s a cute story. Our CM was really sweet though. She did tell him that this elevator was the nicest in the park and her favorite.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Opps lost a draft post. Let’s try this again.

Part Two Day 5 Evening:

We regrouped near the exit to ToT and mom declared that she still wasn’t feeling well post-SDD (🤢) and wanted to go back to the hotel to nap.

She figured she could sleep it off in the AC and come back later for the Star Wars light show. (This show was the only real request that bro and I had made this trip)

As we walked her to the front of the park dad wanted to take a photopass photo. 🤦🏻‍♀️ My mom more politely declined than I assumed she would in her condition.

Dad went back to hotel with mom. Bro and I said we take nephew.

Rode Star Tours next. We went to Jakku and Crait and then “landed” in the Black Spire Outpost.

Had dinner at the Dockside Diner before the next Indy show started. Nephew had recently seen Raiders and loved it. He also loved this show. “Aunt BES. This is when the guy gets chopped up by the plane! How are they going to do that!??”

He correctly answered his own question of it being a trap door. I decided we should stick around long enough to see the actor emerge from said trap door. I didn’t want to get blamed for any nightmares. 😂

Next we did TSM. The posted wait was 35min but it ended up being over an hour. I managed to beat my brother by just a little bit.

Nephew was very tired and ready to leave. He’s not a big fan of loud noises so he wasn’t up for the SW show.

As we left nephew convinced us to buy him an Ironman bubble light up fist thing.

We had been texting/calling our parents all evening without any response. It looked like there would be no hand off of nephew and at this point we couldn't drop him off and make it back in time.

Just as we pulled up to POP our phones blew up. Mom had napped a lot longer than intended and didn’t hear her alerts (but was now feeling better). Dad had his phone on airplane mode* and didn’t get our text/calls. 🤦🏻‍♀️

(*both of my parents are infamous for inappropriate use of airplane mode.)

My mom genuinely felt bad about us missing the show. We assured her it was ok.

Spent the rest of the evening chatting with bro and watching trashy tv.

Nephew declared it was a great day. Yay.

Part Two Day 5 Wrap Up:

Hamburgers
: 0
Drinks: 2
Steps: 18,878

Last edited:

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part Two Day 6 morning:

Another super slow morning. Didn’t get to Epcot until maybe 10:30.

Rode SE again for nephew. His picture didn’t show up on our first ride so he wanted to ride it again. Much to his disappointment no ones’s picture appeared this ride. All adults stood firm that we were tapped out on SE rides this trip.

Next we split these croissant donuts near TT:

EA43B3FD-EF81-4682-BBB6-C22ECE945A1C.jpeg

Next my family tried some sort of garlic corn and I got this:

It tasted as good as it looked.

Dad got something from the festival booth near Mexico. I tried a bit and though it was just ok.

We did Gran Fiesta Tour and FEA. They didn’t get rave reviews from my fam although my bro was impressed by the FEA animatronics.

Last edited:

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part Two Day 6 Midday:

I had some wontons at the China Festival booth. Nephew got more zeppoles in Italy.

Bro went to Japan for lunch by himself. I think he did Katsura Grill.

Dad and I had stuff from the BBQ booth in America.

I had the burnt ends and pork slider. Very good. There was extra business on top that I ate before the pic.

Also got myself the Festival beer at Fife and Drum. It’s a MI-made beer called Soft Parade. It’s a wonderful summer beer. I highly recommend it.

Seriously I usually only like dark beers but this is one of my favs. 😍 I’m glad that I am able to get it at home too (and for non-Disney prices).

We managed to go almost halfway around WS before we had our next snacks. The others had lobster. I had tuna tataki.

Nephew tried some pb & j mousse tart. He didn’t care for it but we did.

I ended up buying a margarita for my mom. (I told her I owed her one for her arrival flights dealing with my dad.)

Bro and I stopped by Starbucks and got drinks and this:

On the way out we humored dad with a photopass photo. Nephew was not happy. He scowled in every shot but the rest of us looked nice. 😂

The photographer was super excited about my porg ears and SW. Before and after the pics she chatted about SW with/at me. (Much to the chagrin of those behind us.)

FF7E14DE-34E1-4D4F-B8F0-DD22800D5D61.jpeg

Last edited:

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
We have a LOT of beers breweries here in Michigan... Short's makes Soft Parade. We aren't called Beer City for nothin here in Grand Rapids!

Sometimes I forget how good I have it in MI until I go out of state. We really are luck with of plethora of good beer.

Short’s is a maybe like an hour drive from Traverse City. The brewery had a really nice vibe and the food was good too. It’s a fun afternoon excursion if you’re ever in that area.

Rista1313

Sometimes I forget how good I have it in MI until I go out of state. We really are luck with of plethora of good beer.

Short’s is a maybe like an hour drive from Traverse City. The brewery had a really nice vibe and the food was good too. It’s a fun afternoon excursion if you’re ever in that area.

I don't think I knew you were from TVC!

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part 2 Day 6 evening:

This evening there was nothing particular on the agenda. MK had late hours so I figured we might head back there.

Nephew wanted to swim while he was getting ready Mom had an alternate suggestion.

She still felt bad about us missing the SW show and tonight and since tonight was open she said that bro and I should head back to HS by ourselves.

So back to HS it was. We looked in Launch Bay first. We were both eyeing the jackets but couldn’t justify the prices.

Then to Tatooine Traders and since we were already there rode ST again. Exact same locations. 🤔Jakku, Crait and Black Spire Outpost.

I would have liked at least one classic trilogy location but heck- I’m not too upset about Poe showing up on two Star Tours. *swoon*

Next we did TSM again. And I beat my bro. Again. 😎

We had dinner at Woody’s Lunchbox. I had a turkey sandwich that was just. Bro had the totchos. He said it was the best thing he ate all week.

Looked around TSL a bit. I like it a lot better at night.

It was about 10 min til official close.
We then booked it over to RnRC. It was a walk on. We didn’t even have to suffer thru the preshow. 😂

Got to see most of the Wonderful World of Animation show. Had a pretty great spot for just showing up as it was starting.

We both liked the show a lot. Given our age difference we have both seen a different mix of Disney movies so it was fun to compare/ recommend.

Next up was SW: Galactic Spectacular. It started out a little less cool than the animation show but once it got going it was awesome. Glad we came back to see it.

Part Two Day 6 Summary:

Hamburgers
: 0
Drinks: 1
Steps: 23,108

Bonus pic of my odd sunburn. My only burn of the trip. (Excuse my gross-ness of my feet but be reminded that this was day 9 of theme parking total.)

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
Part Two Day 7 morning:

The plan for today was rope drop at MK, hotel time in afternoon, AK at night.

All of our FPs were in the evening for AK so begrudgingly the fam agreed to get to MK early to get some rides in before it got busy.

We actually got there on time and saw the welcome show from right near the bridge to Tomorrowland.

Nephew was really looking forward to Space Mountain. He said it rode it last time. Bro and I doubt that. He also said it rode RnRC last trip but based on the noise and darkness and height requirements we doubt that one too.

In retrospect, we think he thinks he rode those rides because my dad probably showed him so many ride videos (like he did for ToT) that nephew *thinks* that he actually rode them.

Nephew gave mom a hard time for sitting out SM. “I’m not scared- it just makes me so sick!” she kept reminding him.

Well. About halfway thru his ride nephew learned exactly what she meant by that. 😬

Bro was right in front of nephew. He said he heard nephew’s shrieks of glee at first. Then a “I think I’m going to be sick...” and braced for an impact that luckily didn’t happen.

I couldn’t hear anything of this during the ride but knew something was wrong immediately after we disembarked. Nephew was unusually quiet and holding his mouth.

Convinced dad to let nephew rest a bit before we started our long journey to back outside.

Eventually we made it outside and back to my mom. Nephew rested for a bit and it was decided that he and my dad would go back to the hotel and rest.

Mom stayed with bro and I. Even though we felt a little guilty about it- our next order of business was for bro and I to ride SM again and the wait was still really low.

We all rode Buzz next.

Beat my mom but not my brother. Don’t have a pic of his score though but it was much higher than mine.

Back!Elbow!Shoulders!

Premium Member
Original Poster
TR aside-

I am posting now from a car dealership. Was having tire pressure issues pretrip- turned out to be a nail. 😞

There’s an annoying guy in the waiting room. Loud chewing, snot noises, watching videos on his phone without headphones. The icing on the gross cake is that he had a First Order decal on his car. Really? Ugh. I hope he doesn’t notice my SW phone case.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom