It's A Small World Rehab: Facade Issue

Re: Just a Thought...

Originally posted by DisneyPan
but what if they built a DL version of IASW right on top of the 20.000 Leagues site. I think there's plenty of room onstage and off for that. Then, they can put something in the current IASW location.

I know, I know... major work, major money, major Fantasyland rehab, but it was just a spark of imagination flowing through my brain!

I agree with you DisneyPan that putting the "new" IASW in the 20,000L site would be good, but isn't there plans to put a Little Mermaid attraction there from DisneySEAS in Tokyo? I don't know if this is true I just heard it somewhere. Also is this "new" IASW confirmed or not? Really how could they make it bigger and better like the DL attraction if like stated it is underground, and under other restaurants...either way I think that attraction could use help, such as the "bouncy" birdy that used to go "PUFF PUFF" and bounce twice in its cage and now only goes "PUff" and barely gets one bounce out....

Blake

I don't think any new additions such as facades, movement of ride, etc. have been approved- or even if the roof work etc. that we know is going to happen has.

And yes, i heard about putting Mermaid Lagoon from TDS on the Lagoon site at the MK- i dont know whats in Mermaid Lagoon so i cant comment...anyoen care to speculate?

I think instead of putting a Mermaid Lagoon attraction in they should put in that attraction from TDS that uses computer control isntead of a "track" to run on. I don't know the name of it but it runs on a thin water sheet but I don't think the water has anything to do with it. It just goes around and spins and backwards forwards, that seems more fun than a Meraid attraction, but then depending on what that one is maybe that would be better. (The TDS attraction that I saw was spoken about on the Travel Channel when TDS gave tv permission for the first time to come in an show how things work...)

PeterAlt

Re: Just a Thought...

Originally posted by DisneyPan
but what if they built a DL version of IASW right on top of the 20.000 Leagues site. I think there's plenty of room onstage and off for that. Then, they can put something in the current IASW location.

My idea is to build DL's version of IASW at the entrance of World Showcase from Future World and build a new dark ride at Fantasyland's IASW space. This would give World Showcase the "something extra" it desperately needs.

raven

Originally posted by HM999thGhost
I think instead of putting a Mermaid Lagoon attraction in they should put in that attraction from TDS that uses computer control isntead of a "track" to run on. I don't know the name of it but it runs on a thin water sheet but I don't think the water has anything to do with it. It just goes around and spins and backwards forwards...

Do you have a picture of this or a link? I'd like to see what it is.

TP2000

I don't think you could put the loading area at WDW outdoors. It would only last about two days before a Florida downpour came along and filled the boats with water.

I was once at Disneyland on a very rainy winter day, and when I went on Small World in the afternoon the boats were full of about two inches of water! The Disneyland ride is about five minutes longer, but about two or three minutes of that extra length is spent outdoors traveling past the topiary gardens before you go inside the building. Plus there's the time spent in the outdoor loading/unloading station. After 8 hours of operation, and spending about 10 minutes per hour out in the pouring rain, the boats at Disneyland were literally filling up with water! Luckily, that type of rainy weather is extremely rare in the "Coastal Desert Climate" of Southern California.

But in rainy Orlando, there's no way you could have an outdoor ride like that. That's why Orlando doesn't have outdoor rides like Disneyland's Teacups, Alice In Wonderland, Canoes, Columbia, Winnie The Pooh, and StorybookLand Canal Boats.

But I think WDW could take its existing weatherproof structure and improve it a bit. I just happened to go on Small World earlier today for my last ride on the "Holiday" version, and even with the Christmas decorations all over the place I was still struck by how utterly "charming" in a obvious 1960's way Disneyland's Small World was. I remember vividly my last trip on WDW's Small World, and thinking how it was obvious that it was a less charming 1970's pre-fab "remake" of the original.

The WDW version could use some better set placement, art direction, color schemes and the original 1964 musical score that Disneyland uses. And all of that is certainly fixable, if they really wanted to.

I'm afraid the outdoor sections and beautiful facade of Disneyland's version isn't really an option for Orlando, for many reasons. But they could certainly improve and refresh the interior ride and it's show sets at WDW. But I'm sure whatever they do during that long rehab will be a nice improvement to a great attraction.

Originally posted by raven
Do you have a picture of this or a link? I'd like to see what it is.
No I don't have a picture, I've never been there. I don't have a link either but I will look for one...if I find it I'll post it here....

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Just a thought but yet another closed attraction in the height of summer. Pretty soon theres going to be about half a dozen attractions with massive Qs. Does anyone do any long term forecasting or are all their plans worked out on the back of a ______ packet?

Yes do the thing up but lets have something opened up to replace it first. Dumbo II perhaps:brick:

Lee

Adventurer
The Small World rehab is purely for upkeep work on the lighting and sets.
There is no way to put in a DL-like facade. The pathway in FL is too narrow, you would have to back up all the way to Peter Pan to get a look at it. Waste of space.
Small World will also never be moved one inch. The ride simply isn't popular enough to justify such a major investment.

And by the way, there are no Utilidors under Small World. The closest they come is the stairway to Village Haus.

imagineer boy

Well, WDW could always do what TDL did. They could make the facade, but not have the gardens. The facade could be built right where the enterance is, and you walk into the facade instead of all of those topiary gardens. Aquatopia viecles would add an extra charm to the attraction. Each viecle could seat atleast two people. The viecles would resemble a country. Like Ireland could have four leaf clovers, ect, ect..... Your viecle would be programmed to do different things in the water, so like an EMV, you'll never have the same experience twice. Before seeing all of the singing dolls, your viecle dances to the music around colorful fountains and maybe even a couple leap frog fountains. Then you enter the doll infested areas. Your viecle would settle down a bit so you can take in the scenery. Maybe the viecle could act like it gets excited when it comes to the country its themed to. Many dolls could be replaced and some dolls that have some "SIR"-like movements to make them look more realistic. When it comes to the finally, It would dance more gracfully and maybe interact with a few of the other boats, like dance with them, spin in circles with a group of other boats. Once it comes to the farewells in different languages, watercould be pouring over each different farewells. Then you come to a waterfall, you look like you're about to go through it, but then, the waterfall parts, and you come to large loading dock area. Those are just a few ideas I had. That would be cool if it really happened.:)

KentB3

Originally posted by NemoRocks78
The DL facade is great and it would look awesome here, but unfortunately it would need to go into an even longer rehab for that. Maybe start loading from where you first walk in, and then maybe a small drop? Anyways, from what i've heard it's going to be a year and a half rehab, but it's only for the better cause our IASW is horrible compared to DL's.

Wonder why WDW's IASW has a circus tent like façade like Peter Pan's Flight and the other dark rides, instead of the elaborate façade used by Disneyland and the other Disney parks (Tokyo and Paris have this too). I find it quite surprising, especially since WDW's is the largest and most visited of all of Disney's theme parks!

Originally posted by imagineer boy
Well, WDW could always do what TDL did. They could make the facade, but not have the gardens. The facade could be built right where the enterance is, and you walk into the facade instead of all of those topiary gardens. Aquatopia viecles would add an extra charm to the attraction. Each viecle could seat atleast two people. The viecles would resemble a country. Like Ireland could have four leaf clovers, ect, ect..... Your viecle would be programmed to do different things in the water, so like an EMV, you'll never have the same experience twice. Before seeing all of the singing dolls, your viecle dances to the music around colorful fountains and maybe even a couple leap frog fountains. Then you enter the doll infested areas. Your viecle would settle down a bit so you can take in the scenery. Maybe the viecle could act like it gets excited when it comes to the country its themed to. Many dolls could be replaced and some dolls that have some "SIR"-like movements to make them look more realistic. When it comes to the finally, It would dance more gracfully and maybe interact with a few of the other boats, like dance with them, spin in circles with a group of other boats. Once it comes to the farewells in different languages, watercould be pouring over each different farewells. Then you come to a waterfall, you look like you're about to go through it, but then, the waterfall parts, and you come to large loading dock area. Those are just a few ideas I had. That would be cool if it really happened.:)

A very elaborate idea but I think they should make an attraction like that....it would make a not so exciting attraction very exciting it would bring the crowds back to an attraction that has lost its popularity .... I like this idea... :sohappy:

General Grizz

There will be no tower and no new facade, I can strongly say.

Unofficial Confirmation Report

• Redone lighting
  • Total rework on sets (many done from scratch)
  • Asbestos treatment
  • Audio-Animatronics Figures massive repair
  • Redone stereo sound system

Starting Aprilish - lasting from 12 to 18 months.

Lee

Adventurer
Originally posted by KentB3
Wonder why WDW's IASW has a circus tent like façade like Peter Pan's Flight and the other dark rides, instead of the elaborate façade used by Disneyland and the other Disney parks (Tokyo and Paris have this too). I find it quite surprising, especially since WDW's is the largest and most visited of all of Disney's theme parks!

Until the early 1980's, it was that way at DL, too. It wasn't until a total "rebuilding" of DL's Fantasyland at that time that they scrapped the old awning facades for the storybook village.

Why it hasn't happened at WDW? I don't know.

KentB3

Originally posted by Lee
Until the early 1980's, it was that way at DL, too. It wasn't until a total "rebuilding" of DL's Fantasyland at that time that they scrapped the old awning facades for the storybook village.

Why it hasn't happened at WDW? I don't know.

That wasn't what I meant at all! What I was asking was, why WDW's IASW wasn't built with the elaborate façade with the clock, moving gearwheels, and march of wooden children on the hour that Disneyland's IASW has (and always had, even before the 1983 remodeling of Fantasyland), and was instead built with the circus tent-like exterior that the rest of the Fantasyland dark rides have. As I said earlier, it seems odd that Disney would do this for IASW at its largest and most-visited of all its theme parks.

daniam2188

That wasn't what I meant at all! What I was asking was, why WDW's IASW wasn't built with the elaborate façade with the clock, moving gearwheels, and march of wooden children on the hour that Disneyland's IASW has (and always had, even before the 1983 remodeling of Fantasyland), and was instead built with the circus tent-like exterior that the rest of the Fantasyland dark rides have. As I said earlier, it seems odd that Disney would do this for IASW at its largest and most-visited of all its theme parks.

it is because, as Lee said before, since where IASW is placed in wdw the large grandiose facade would not fit in with the rest of the theeming of fantasyland and completly dwarph the other rides. it would also be so big that you could not properly apprieacate it since there is not enough room in front of the ride on the "road" it is on. also if you look closley wdw DOES have the "facade" that DL has... it is outlined in lights on the load / unload area. many people do not notice it but i think it is a nice tribute without it being an exact clone (the strange thing is ppl on theese boards get into hissy fits when they build new clones of rides from other parks but they also want the old rides to be exactly like the ones at the other parks.) the other thing is... as much as we would like this to have "ctx" like or other "thrilling" technology this might make IASW not a family oreinted attraction anymore and people who get motion sickness, for example, would not be able to go on it. you also have to think that parents w/ small children might not want to take their kids on a ride like that, or with a drop, and IASW is a FAMILY ride oriented towards children, so although it might not be the most exciting or technologically advanced ride, it still draws crowds because it is charming and will make most people come out smiling and singing... AND it is one of the most detialed rides... every time i ride it i see something new. so i say refurb it : change lighting, clean up asbestos, fix dolls that are broken, but leave the attraction with the original spirit and not do something that might detract from the ridership by the people it is meant for.

TP2000

What I was asking was, why WDW's IASW wasn't built with the elaborate façade with the clock, moving gearwheels, and march of wooden children on the hour that Disneyland's IASW has.

The "March of Nations" happens every 15 minutes actually. It's not just every hour. After the children come out and march around the clock, the doors open and it tells the time to the fifteen minute mark, and then the little soldier guys ring out the time with the bells before the doors close.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom