It's A Small World Rehab: Facade Issue

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
This spring or summer It's A Small World will go into a huge and very long rehab. I'm lucky enough to go back to WDW and will take pics and video of it in it's overall original state. It's A Small World is nothing compared to the original Disneyland version, which is bigger, better, and more elaborate. You may have noticed this as well that there is a lighting problem with Small World at WDW. It is not supposed to be that dark at all, and I guess this will be cured. It has never even been painted since 1971 in many places.

From looking at the aerial photos, unless "they" decide to spend the bucks and demolish the pavilion and replicate like the one at Disneyand inside and out, they will have to push it further back, which there is room for. If this can be done, they would have plenty of room for a replica tower of the four winds, which is supposed to be the symbol of Small World.

If this can't be done for what ever reason what do you think or want to happen to the facade. I have browsed through so many other disney sites out there that it seems the facade issue is still up in the air.

I feel that if they can't make the ride look like the one at Disneyland, then they should stop trying to bunch in the pastel color scheme they have with the little area they are working in right now and just build over it with that english, fantasy look they have with almost all the other pavilions in fantasyland.

Any ideas as to what might happen, or your views on this?

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
I've heard the earliest is March, and skipping April, and into May, but of course these are just rumors, but I know cast members have been asked about this, and have confirmed that this will happen in that time frame.

OliveMcFly

I remember being amazed when I saw Small World in DL cause it was so big. If WDW decides to replicate that do you think it would fit in? Like it was said...maybe they should just theme it like all the other Fantasyland buildings.

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
If it were replicated it would really be to the viewer how it would fit in. The whole idea of small world is the whimsicle look with the pastel colors. It would only be with lots of money, time, and effort that WDW would be rewarded with a better and replicated small world. The one at disneyland has not changed too much since it's move from the world's fair. I think the disneyland facade was designed by walt disney himself for disneyland because they were not able to do that at the world's fair. They also had the tower of the four winds as the symbol and decorative feature. If the boat loading and unloading area is placed outside at wdw it will most likely have a canopy over it, that was also a feature at the world's fair, but not at disneyland due to weather.

I agree with you DisneyGrl85 that if this can't be done, they might as well then spend the money into creating a more blended in facade that goes with the rest of fantasyland.

General Grizz

We're getting a FACADE?! And the Tower?? Or is this a suggestion by you?

I thought that it was simply a refurbishment of the current attraction (roof repair, lighting, sets, AAs).

How confident are you on this?

I heard an 18 month rehab.

raven

Do you really think that Disney Imagineering would spend all that time, money and effort to make the MK Small world look like the one at Disneyland? It's such an old attraction and I just don't see them changing anything to make it "bigger." If this were the case, they would have done this when they were creating WDW. From what I hear, they are just fixing problems.

As far as the paint goes, the pastels are an original part of the ride created by illustrator and color stylist Mary Blair. The colors and shapes have become such a recognizable trademark of the attraction that I doubt they would replace it with something more saturated.

And just incase anyone wondered, It's a Small World was inspired by a sketch that Mary did for the 1945 Walt Disney film "The Three Caballeros" for the La Pinata scene. Walt liked the sketch so much that he asked Mary to come on board to help create the attraction. :)

ISTCrew20

There is no way they can push it back. You down DOWN to the loading dock, because most of the Small World ride is under the Pinnochio's Kitchen and Resturaunt seating areas (atleast I think it is). It would be nice if they can figure out a way to move the entrance to where the Skyway used to be, to stop the congestion that is always in that area

DisneyPan

Just a Thought...

but what if they built a DL version of IASW right on top of the 20.000 Leagues site. I think there's plenty of room onstage and off for that. Then, they can put something in the current IASW location.

I know, I know... major work, major money, major Fantasyland rehab, but it was just a spark of imagination flowing through my brain!

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
The DL facade is great and it would look awesome here, but unfortunately it would need to go into an even longer rehab for that. Maybe start loading from where you first walk in, and then maybe a small drop? Anyways, from what i've heard it's going to be a year and a half rehab, but it's only for the better cause our IASW is horrible compared to DL's.

General Grizz

I doubt sincerely that "Disney" would redesign the track, unless it were altered slightly. . . anything other than that would be in the air, I believe.

raven

Re: Just a Thought...

Originally posted by DisneyPan
but what if they built a DL version of IASW right on top of the 20.000 Leagues site. I think there's plenty of room onstage and off for that. Then, they can put something in the current IASW location.

I know, I know... major work, major money, major Fantasyland rehab, but it was just a spark of imagination flowing through my brain!

Think about it. Wouldn't be easier to build something else over 20K then moving IASW and then redoing the old building into a new attraction? Seems like twice the work and money. I don't see them doing that.

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
I only suggested a replicated version for IASW with a tower of the four winds. They probably will not do what I have suggested. I could care less, but with such a long rehab they might as well do better because IASW at Disney World is hurting, and it's so condensed inside there that the real story of IASW can't be portrayed the right way because the original builders crammed it next to the Pinochio Restaurnt Pavilion, and near the skyway area. So much for the blessing of land. If they kept the dolls, and scenes, and put them wherever for their own fixing up, they could demolish the pavilion, rework the basin, and I can't see how they couldn't be successful. It would give IASW some well needed space, and nice landscape, and you would walk under the tower of the four winds, and go down a path before boarding the boat.

The only thing that I can feel is a setback is the stability of the land. The Magic Kingdom at WDW is contained within a network of "behind the scenes" roads. Where IASW is right now, demolishing that area and putting it further back would put the whole complex near this river/ moat feature, and I don't know how well that area of land can be supported. There is only a road behind the river/moat, there are no other storage buildings in that area except the haunted mansion, and if they can work there "magic" they can landscape the land to block it out.

I'll try coming back later and post a pic about what I mean.

This is all just my proposal, but yes IASW will go through a very long rehab and will get repairs, but not a new location, facade, or tower.

Blake

The thigns i would like to see done

1) OK- since DL has such a nice facade and ours is (face it) horrible- why not tear down the roof over the queue and loading area? LIke- we have the facade "inside" thats supposed to be a miniture version of DL's. WHy not tear everything down (essentially making the queue and loading area outside) and jsut expand and make that wall the new facade.

OR

2) Use the Toontown Fair area /Lagoon area and build a new one with and updated facade. Then i'll bet you could add at least two dark rides into the current Small World building and maybe a thrild behind by Ariels Grotto.

imagineer boy

I'm so glad its going under a rehab. Finally, the hippos won't wink at me anymore!:lol: I've got an idea. Instead of traditional flat bottom boats, why not Aquatopia cars? They could dance around in the water with the music, and it would be neat.

raven

The only thing that I can feel is a setback is the stability of the land. The Magic Kingdom at WDW is contained within a network of "behind the scenes" roads. Where IASW is right now, demolishing that area and putting it further back would put the whole complex near this river/ moat feature, and I don't know how well that area of land can be supported. There is only a road behind the river/moat, there are no other storage buildings in that area except the haunted mansion, and if they can work there "magic" they can landscape the land to block it out. [/B]

If you think about it, IASW is in the ground. You walk down a ramp to get into the boat. Even though it's in the ground, its still a little above the utilidoors. To move the building would also mean either digging out a new pit for the attraction of building the entilre attraction above ground. The ceiling is so high in the attraction that only a tower (such as the 4 winds) would be able to hide the building. That's the purpose of the one at DL. So moving the attraction is far more complicated than it seems.

The Pinochio Restaurnt Pavilion is also only connected to IASW. The ride never goes under the restaurant itself. This and the Skyway building were planned around IASW, not the other way around.

I get my information from other CM's and Imagineering research. Glad to help wherever I can. :wave:

Expo_Seeker40

Original Poster
I see your point raven. Let's say that this so called "dream plan" gets the go ahead, would filling in the "pit" of the old IASW area work and then digging a new "pit" for the new IASW work? I feel that all that digging near that moat would be weak ground and would be hazardous to even poor in the "basement" of the ride. Any how I still will be fine if they do the repairs of fixing the dolls, lighting, painting, etc. I do hope though that something can be done about the facade at WDW. It seems bunched together, and out of place, and I think that if that were taken out with a new facade that looks more like the rest of the buildings in fantasyland, it would be better.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom