It had been 25 (20) Years since the Peoplemover (Rocket Rods) Closed

Heppenheimer

I was reading through this Yesterland article of Disneyland's closures through the years and was struck by just how long ago the Peoplemover/Rocket Rods closed. Those tracks have been rotting in full view of everyone for two decades now. It's sad how long Tomorrowland has been neglected.
At least the tracks provide some shelter when it rains, something Disneyland doesn't exactly have in excess.

SplashGhost

The abandoned PeopleMover tracks really add to Tomorrowland's crappy and dated mall feeling. It is easily the worst land in terms of theming in the park. However, maybe those abandoned tracks predict the future, since we are heading towards a dystopian future.

Anyway, they had 6 months to take them down easily, and still did nothing with them. At this point, I don't think anything will be done with the PeopleMover tracks till the eventual Tomorrowland redo which has probably been pushed back around 10-20 years at this point.

Stevek

I disagree with his holiness the Pope. When he said "Of all the things that don't matter, football matters most," what he should have said was the Peoplemover being closed at DL.
One of the more disappointing losses at DL for me personally. I could live with the loss of America Sings, Adventure Thru Innerspace, Superstar Limo...but the PM was always a favorite.

ToTBellHop

1601683616816.gif

TP2000

The abandoned PeopleMover tracks really add to Tomorrowland's crappy and dated mall feeling. It is easily the worst land in terms of theming in the park. However, maybe those abandoned tracks predict the future, since we are heading towards a dystopian future.

Anyway, they had 6 months to take them down easily, and still did nothing with them. At this point, I don't think anything will be done with the PeopleMover tracks till the eventual Tomorrowland redo which has probably been pushed back around 10-20 years at this point.

Agreed! Good point that they've had six months to tear out the tracks, at the very least that central beamway that ruins the crowd flow between Star Tours and Buzz Lightyear.

The PeopleMover operated for 28 years. The tracks have now been abandoned for 25 years, and now any hope for a Tomorrowland remake is pushed out at least another five years from now.

It's amazing to think the ride operated for a shorter amount of time than the empty tracks sat there looking like crap.

Here's a cool video that speeds up the entire 15 minute long ride into about 2 minutes, circa 1987.

SplashGhost

Agreed! Good point that they've had six months to tear out the tracks, at the very least that central beamway that ruins the crowd flow between Star Tours and Buzz Lightyear.

The PeopleMover operated for 28 years. The tracks have now been abandoned for 25 years, and now any hope for a Tomorrowland remake is pushed out at least another five years from now.

It's amazing to think the ride operated for a shorter amount of time than the empty tracks sat there looking like crap.

Here's a cool video that speeds up the entire 15 minute long ride into about 2 minutes, circa 1987.

Leaving the tracks that are deeper into the land would be one thing, but it wouldn't have taken that much time to demolish the tracks at the main entranceway of the hub all the way back to the old loading platform. It would have freed up a lot of land which would have greatly improved crowd control in that area, and help make the entranceway look refreshed.

It is pretty cool getting those glimpses of 1987 Disneyland in that video. That Tomorrowland might be dated, but I vastly prefer it over the current Tomorrowland.

cmwade77

Leaving the tracks that are deeper into the land would be one thing, but it wouldn't have taken that much time to demolish the tracks at the main entranceway of the hub all the way back to the old loading platform. It would have freed up a lot of land which would have greatly improved crowd control in that area, and help make the entranceway look refreshed.

It is pretty cool getting those glimpses of 1987 Disneyland in that video. That Tomorrowland might be dated, but I vastly prefer it over the current Tomorrowland.
It also wouldn't be hard to repair the tracks to a point they could support a revived, modern version of the people mover.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom