All things Magic Mountain

SuddenStorm

Spent the day at Magic Mountain yesterday. I checked out the new Craznity ride. It's the world's largest pendulum ride going at 150ft in the air and 75mph. It's actually not as bad as it seems. You get a lot of wind as you swing back and forth. Fun ride but needs more landscaping around it. It's very bare. They will probably finish the landscaping once the temperature isn't 100 degrees. It could stand a few shade trees since this area is totally concert.

They painted, cleaned and plused up the bumper cars. They added '80s rock music, new led lighting and new cars. The cars are really fast now. I'm guessing they travel at 10-13mph. (Much faster than Disney's Tuck n' Roll or Knott's bumper cars) In fact, they go so fast now that it actually hurts to get t-boned or bumped into it. It's a lot more fun too.

Cyclone Bay has been half demolished. The buildings on the left side of Cyclone Bay (coming from Jet Stream), have all been leveled with the ground. Any structure next to Ninja and Jet Stream, besides the arcade and storage building, have also been leveled with the ground, including the old Spillikin Corners train station. The park has trademarked the name “Adrenaline Alley”, which seems to be a possible name for the area. Apocalypse is in the middle of a major referb and might be renamed when the new area is opened.

It's amazing how far Magic Mountain has come in the last 10 years or so. When I worked there in 2014, it was right after they plussed up the area outside Bugs Bunny with the Full Throttle plaza addition. In 2015, we saw Twisted Colossus open along with the cleaned up Screampunk District. In 2017 we saw the opening of Justice League Battle For Metropolis, which was also accompanied by the cleaning up of the surrounding area.

Now they've finally addressed the aging Colossus County fair area, with the ancient Cyclone Bay area next. In addition, they're open year round. Makes me excited for the next decade of Six Flags as they bring themselves up to current theme park standards.

Now if they would just do something about that darned chain link barb wire fence you walk by from the Parking Lot to the main gate...

mickEblu

It's amazing how far Magic Mountain has come in the last 10 years or so. When I worked there in 2014, it was right after they plussed up the area outside Bugs Bunny with the Full Throttle plaza addition. In 2015, we saw Twisted Colossus open along with the cleaned up Screampunk District. In 2017 we saw the opening of Justice League Battle For Metropolis, which was also accompanied by the cleaning up of the surrounding area.

Now they've finally addressed the aging Colossus County fair area, with the ancient Cyclone Bay area next. In addition, they're open year round. Makes me excited for the next decade of Six Flags as they bring themselves up to current theme park standards.

Now if they would just do something about that darned chain link barb wire fence you walk by from the Parking Lot to the main gate...

Maybe that’s why I’m not so high on Magic Mountain. The bulk of my memories of the place are from the mid 90’s to early 2000’s. Probably the low point for the park. With that said, I still manage to have some nostalgia for it. It did have some of my faves by then like Goliath, Superman and Riddlers Revenge. It’s just that the atmosphere sucked (except for the Roaring Rapids and Log Jammer/ Moose burger lodge areas) and it was lacking in quality attractions outside of the big coasters.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Maybe that’s why I’m not so high on Magic Mountain. The bulk of my memories of the place are from the mid 90’s to early 2000’s. Probably the low point for the park. With that said, I still manage to have some nostalgia for it. It did have some of my faves by then like Goliath, Superman and Riddlers Revenge. It’s just that the atmosphere sucked (except for the Roaring Rapids and Log Jammer/ Moose burger lodge areas) and it was lacking in quality attractions outside of the big coasters.
It has changed a lot since then. They are still working on improving things. It's a very different place from what it was back in mid 90s.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Outside of coasters, they now have the Justice League Battle for Metropolis which is probably the best shooter in any park. It makes TSMM, Buzz and Knott's Iron Reef look pathetic. They do need more of these dark rides (Magic Pagoda) but I have feeling we are getting a new coaster in Cyclone Bay since MM hasn't had a coaster since 2015. The talk is it will be a dive coaster similar to Knott's Hang Time. This would fit the spot cleared in Cyclone Bay. However, for all I know it could be another flat ride. In any event, Cyclone Bay won't look so ghetto anymore.

mickEblu

Outside of coasters, they now have the Justice League Battle for Metropolis which is probably the best shooter in any park. It makes TSMM, Buzz and Knott's Iron Reef look pathetic. They do need more of these dark rides (Magic Pagoda) but I have feeling we are getting a new coaster in Cyclone Bay since MM hasn't had a coaster since 2015. The talk is it will be a dive coaster similar to Knott's Hang Time. This would fit the spot cleared in Cyclone Bay. However, for all I know it could be another flat ride. In any event, Cyclone Bay won't look so ghetto anymore.

Six flags is a thrill/ coaster park and that’s fine. A couple more family friendly rides like Justice League would be great but I would have settled for flat rides that don’t look like they were plucked out of the nearest school carnival. Some landscaping and some attempt ambiance would go a long way.

My question are all Six Flags Parks like Magic Mountain? Or is it the anomaly when it comes to atmosphere/ ambiance?

Phroobar

Original Poster
Six flags is a thrill/ coaster park and that’s fine. A couple more family friendly rides like Justice League would be great but I would have settled for flat rides that don’t look like they were plucked out of the nearest school carnival. Some landscaping and some attempt ambiance would go a long way.

My question are all Six Flags Parks like Magic Mountain? Or is it the anomaly when it comes to atmosphere/ ambiance?
Every Six Flags park is very different. Some are original Six Flags parks while others are acquisitions so your mileage varies. For the most part, MM has few flat rides left. The ones they do have are themed and not just dropped out of the sky. You have the Flash and Wonder Woman flat rides and scrambler, bumper cars, rocking boat, carousel, crazanity and swings. All the other flat rides are in Bugs Bunny world.

mickEblu

Every Six Flags park is very different. Some are original Six Flags parks while others are acquisitions so your mileage varies. For the most part, MM has few flat rides left. The ones they do have are themed and not just dropped out of the sky. You have the Flash and Wonder Woman flat rides and scrambler, bumper cars, rocking boat, carousel, crazanity and swings. All the other flat rides are in Bugs Bunny world.

As long as Buccaneer is still there!

Phroobar

Original Poster
As long as Buccaneer is still there!
It is. I rode it saturday. I love that ride!

Interesting thing I noticed is Magic Mountain and Knotts both hire kids as young as 14. They run cash registers for the most part and a lot of them are pretty shy. The ride operators are always over 18. I don't think Disney hires anyone under 18 to work the parks.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Magic Mountain has announced a new coaster for 2019 called West Coast Racers. This coaster takes over the old Cyclone Bay area with a duel racing coaster. This is a much needed change to that end of the park.

Rich T

Magic Mountain has announced a new coaster for 2019 called West Coast Racers. This coaster takes over the old Cyclone Bay area with a duel racing coaster. This is a much needed change to that end of the park.

I hate the theme, (but...hey! A Theme!) and it's weird that they're opening a 2ND dualing-coaster-with-high-five-element-that-takes-you-around-the-layout-twice. And, even with the two laps, it's a short ride. BUT, I love the fact that it's a more family-friendly coaster, and I think the mid-ride "pitstop" to wait for the other train to launch alongside you is pretty clever. Good addition, overall.

Phroobar

Original Poster
Best of all it gets rid of the ruins of Cyclone Bay (spillikin corners) that has been rotting since the early 80s.

TROR

Looking at this makes me wonder why Universal didn't do something like this for Fast and the Furious. Oh, because it's an actual ride.

Phroobar

Original Poster
I miss Spillikin Corners. And the high-diving show. And The Magic Pagoda. And El Bumpo. I'm SO OLD!
I do too. Spilikin Corners was basically Knott's Ghost Town. I wonder how many people today stop to talk to the black smith or the wood carver at Knotts.

MM really need to bring back a modern version of the Magic Pagoda. I mention it on every survey they send me. I bet they leave up the Willoughby's Haunted Mansion up in there all year.
wcb_2010_61.jpg

wcb_2010_62.jpg

They should reopen the sky tower too.

Jedi Stitch

Just did Universal Hollywood. My daughter was stoked about doing the Wizarding World of Harry Potter, but our experience at the Three Broom Sticks was mared. I for one was exited to try some "english" food. My daughter miss chicken nugget, did get chicken tenders, but they had no ranch just a pepper sauce. I ordered fish n chips and my wife the Ploumans lunch. The Meat, Cheese and grapes platter. We waited in line we were next they taken our ticket. My wife and I instantly noticed that two of the girl workers were spending more time gossiping than working. The other 4 that were preparing the trays of food, had more near vice face touches than I do, and I have Tourettes Syndrome. We watched at one of the gossip workers styled a cough with her gloved hand. My wife and I look at each other with OMG looks. Lets just get our food and not think about it. Soon, they call out a name. Rich-Not me. guy back of the line. Consalua-Not me. Bill-Not me. Hey where is our food I asked. Your Plughmans takes longer to make. My wife asked for a manager. Boom, our food was up, and on of the guys was like can get you something for free, like a dessert. IDK a pie I guess, here you go. We sit. Our daughter already had saved us a seat, she was patently reading her Piers Anthony novel. A little ways into our food. We have a plain clothed manager come out to talk to us. We mentioned we both have Food handlers permits, and know the requirements of food perpetration. My wife had her say, and the manager was pushing for who did what. I finally chimed in. I was stuffing my face because I was hitting Hangry and needed to have something before I went postal. "The two white drink expediter girls were gossiping at the left drink station, this is us facing the counter. One of them styled a cough. The One Guy at the other drink station was sweating bullets trying to keep up with the drink order. I think taking up the slack for the other two. I don't know which was worse getting my drinks poured by a cough covered glove or having sweat in the other. The Latina, that was in the middle touched her eyes and face about a dozen times, while we stood there being passed up by orders after us. The big Samoan looking guy was nice and offered us a free something. We keep being told a meat, cheese and grape takes that long to make." She gave us back the money for the platter. My daughter hit the death nail to her. She goes to her "I was looking forward to the eating at the three broom sticks, but now I think I'll ask for dinner at a mcdonalds."

Hatbox Ghostbuster

I do too. Spilikin Corners was basically Knott's Ghost Town. I wonder how many people today stop to talk to the black smith or the wood carver at Knotts.

MM really need to bring back a modern version of the Magic Pagoda. I mention it on every survey they send me. I bet they leave up the Willoughby's Haunted Mansion up in there all year.
wcb_2010_61.jpg

wcb_2010_62.jpg

They should reopen the sky tower too.
Is that you?!?!?!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom