All things Magic Mountain

Rich T

Magic Mountain has been voted Best Theme Park by USA Today's readers for the second time. Congrats Magic Mountain! It's well deserved.
Wow. All the other theme parks must be complete garbage. :D (Mostly kidding). On a not-kidding note: Better than Knott's??? Really? No. I'm sorry, but how about a category for Best Theme Park for People Who Enjoy Rides That Aren't Coasters? Are ALL of USA Today's readers between the ages of 12 and 35??? :D

Phroobar

Original Poster

dweezil78

Funny how the "Best Amusement Park" category doesn't include the highest attended park(s) in the world every year.

The initial list of 20 was mostly tailored by coaster enthusiasts -- so not surprising to see Disney/Universal and others left off. Initially I thought maybe they weren't considered 'amusement parks,' but Disney shows up on the other Amusement Park lists for Top Entertainment and Top Restaurants, so I'm just assuming they were very coaster focused based on the panel.

From the site:
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Robb Alvey (ThemeParkReview.com), Doug Barnes (Season Pass Podcast), Austin Carroll (Fastpass to the Past: The Theme Park History Podcast), Monet Massa-Sena (The Theme Park Princess), Clint Novak (In the Loop), John Stevenson (Coaster101.com) and Josh Young (Theme Park University) were chosen based on their knowledge and experience of amusement parks in North America.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The initial list of 20 was mostly tailored by coaster enthusiasts -- so not surprising to see Disney/Universal and others left off. Initially I thought maybe they weren't considered 'amusement parks,' but Disney shows up on the other Amusement Park lists for Top Entertainment and Top Restaurants, so I'm just assuming they were very coaster focused based on the panel.

From the site:
A panel of experts partnered with 10Best editors to picked the initial 20 nominees, and the top 10 winners were determined by popular vote. Experts Robb Alvey (ThemeParkReview.com), Doug Barnes (Season Pass Podcast), Austin Carroll (Fastpass to the Past: The Theme Park History Podcast), Monet Massa-Sena (The Theme Park Princess), Clint Novak (In the Loop), John Stevenson (Coaster101.com) and Josh Young (Theme Park University) were chosen based on their knowledge and experience of amusement parks in North America.

How come @Darkbeer1 is not on that list?

Rich T

Though all the parks in that lineup are great, the survey is gar-bage. Now, if it were "Best Coaster Parks" then it would be worth paying attention to. To suggest that Magic Mountain is a better theme park than Disneyland is just laughable.
(EDIT) Just a personal note that this website is constantly showing me adds for Hearthstone and Retirement Homes... and I can't argue the accuracy.

D

Deleted member 107043

Phrubruh:
I'm being torchered at Magic Mountain right now. I just finished waiting 47 minutes for fish & chips. I only had six people in front of me. Employees stand there talking to each other rather than preparing food. Why is food service so incrediblely bad here?

Also Phrubruh:
Magic Mountain has been voted Best Theme Park by USA Today's readers for the second time. Congrats Magic Mountain! It's well deserved.

;)

Phroobar

Original Poster
Spent the day at Magic Mountain yesterday. I checked out the new Craznity ride. It's the world's largest pendulum ride going at 150ft in the air and 75mph. It's actually not as bad as it seems. You get a lot of wind as you swing back and forth. Fun ride but needs more landscaping around it. It's very bare. They will probably finish the landscaping once the temperature isn't 100 degrees. It could stand a few shade trees since this area is totally concert.

They painted, cleaned and plused up the bumper cars. They added '80s rock music, new led lighting and new cars. The cars are really fast now. I'm guessing they travel at 10-13mph. (Much faster than Disney's Tuck n' Roll or Knott's bumper cars) In fact, they go so fast now that it actually hurts to get t-boned or bumped into it. It's a lot more fun too.

Cyclone Bay has been half demolished. The buildings on the left side of Cyclone Bay (coming from Jet Stream), have all been leveled with the ground. Any structure next to Ninja and Jet Stream, besides the arcade and storage building, have also been leveled with the ground, including the old Spillikin Corners train station. The park has trademarked the name “Adrenaline Alley”, which seems to be a possible name for the area. Apocalypse is in the middle of a major referb and might be renamed when the new area is opened.

Old Mouseketeer

Spent the day at Magic Mountain yesterday. I checked out the new Craznity ride. It's the world's largest pendulum ride going at 150ft in the air and 75mph. It's actually not as bad as it seems. You get a lot of wind as you swing back and forth. Fun ride but needs more landscaping around it. It's very bare. They will probably finish the landscaping once the temperature isn't 100 degrees. It could stand a few shade trees since this area is totally concert.

They painted, cleaned and plused up the bumper cars. They added '80s rock music, new led lighting and new cars. The cars are really fast now. I'm guessing they travel at 10-13mph. (Much faster than Disney's Tuck n' Roll or Knott's bumper cars) In fact, they go so fast now that it actually hurts to get t-boned or bumped into it. It's a lot more fun too.

Cyclone Bay has been half demolished. The buildings on the left side of Cyclone Bay (coming from Jet Stream), have all been leveled with the ground. Any structure next to Ninja and Jet Stream, besides the arcade and storage building, have also been leveled with the ground, including the old Spillikin Corners train station. The park has trademarked the name “Adrenaline Alley”, which seems to be a possible name for the area. Apocalypse is in the middle of a major referb and might be renamed when the new area is opened.

Wow. I opened Spillikin Corners in 1977. That's where I met Ron Schneider who later became the first live Dreamfinder for the opening of EPCOT. Spillikin was a ripoff of Silver Dollar City, featuring various craft buildings. It was the brainchild of MM's Merchandising VP Frank Kennedy who was fired a couple of years later and subsequently indicted in federal court for graft at the New Orleans World's Fair along with his son. Good times!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom