Trip Report It Began Here ~ Magic Kingdom, July 1972 *COMPLETED*

The title says it all....my love for Walt Disney World began with my very first visit a mere 9 months after the Magic Kingdom opened its gates. My grandparents had recently moved to Florida and we made the long drive from New England to spend a week with them. During that week we would get to spend one glorious day at the Most Magical Place On Earth.

I can still remember my excitement and anticipation. Naturally I wanted to see my grandparents, but this Disney World had captured my thoughts. What would it be like? The only castle I had ever seen was one made of sand. How beautiful a real castle must be! I counted the hours until our pre-dawn departure (it was a couple hours drive.) Once on the road I kept my eyes peeled for THE sign: Disney World, Next Exit.

One sign, one exit. No grand archway like there is now. No purple directional signs. No mouse ears. Nothing but a two lane road. A very long, straight and boring road! (Try to visualize World Drive with nothing to look at!) Where was this Magic Kingdom? Why is it taking so long to get there?

Finally....the Toll Plaza. But as you all know, you can't see the Magic Kingdom from the Toll Plaza!

Just a few minutes longer and we parked the car. Then we got to ride the coolest form of transportation ever.....the monorail!! Which deposited us here:

image.jpeg

Okay, I am getting a little ahead of myself. Let me explain the pictures. My dad had a 35mm camera from which he developed slides. Which, 35 years later, we scanned into his computer. So the quality of the photos is marginal at best. And film was expensive in 1972, so he didn't take many pictures (which we all regret now!)

Today I was at my parents' house to discuss their upcoming Disney vacation with my youngest brother's family. I decided to tag along when I saw the ridiculously low Southwest fares (SW got me too, @Doc Disney!) Mom was able to add me to their dining reservations and I was able to snag similar fastpass times (even for Frozen Ever After! :happy:) We ran across these old pictures that I thought would be fun to share with my WDWMagic friends.

So if you wouldn't mind being a little more patient for my July 2016 trip report (I'm looking at you, @TrolleyFollower91 ;)) I now give you this:

image.jpeg

Main Street, July 1972

donaldtoo

Mannix!! Love the theme song. There used to be some great music in some of those network shows. (Probably my favorite was the theme song from the original Hawaii Five-0, but I also liked Mannix as well as others.)

For your listening pleasure (Mannix fans) -- :)

LOVE IT...!!!!!!! :joyfull:
Back about a million years ago in junior high in No Cal, I had a 7th grade drum teacher who could play the drum part of The Ventures “Hawaii Five-0” theme to perfection...I remember us requesting him to perform it several times during that semester, because of how it inspired us...!!! :)

JosieBee

The title says it all....my love for Walt Disney World began with my very first visit a mere 9 months after the Magic Kingdom opened its gates. My grandparents had recently moved to Florida and we made the long drive from New England to spend a week with them. During that week we would get to spend one glorious day at the Most Magical Place On Earth.

I can still remember my excitement and anticipation. Naturally I wanted to see my grandparents, but this Disney World had captured my thoughts. What would it be like? The only castle I had ever seen was one made of sand. How beautiful a real castle must be! I counted the hours until our pre-dawn departure (it was a couple hours drive.) Once on the road I kept my eyes peeled for THE sign: Disney World, Next Exit.

One sign, one exit. No grand archway like there is now. No purple directional signs. No mouse ears. Nothing but a two lane road. A very long, straight and boring road! (Try to visualize World Drive with nothing to look at!) Where was this Magic Kingdom? Why is it taking so long to get there?

Finally....the Toll Plaza. But as you all know, you can't see the Magic Kingdom from the Toll Plaza!

Just a few minutes longer and we parked the car. Then we got to ride the coolest form of transportation ever.....the monorail!! Which deposited us here:

View attachment 156251

Okay, I am getting a little ahead of myself. Let me explain the pictures. My dad had a 35mm camera from which he developed slides. Which, 35 years later, we scanned into his computer. So the quality of the photos is marginal at best. And film was expensive in 1972, so he didn't take many pictures (which we all regret now!)

Today I was at my parents' house to discuss their upcoming Disney vacation with my youngest brother's family. I decided to tag along when I saw the ridiculously low Southwest fares (SW got me too, @Doc Disney!) Mom was able to add me to their dining reservations and I was able to snag similar fastpass times (even for Frozen Ever After! :happy:) We ran across these old pictures that I thought would be fun to share with my WDWMagic friends.

So if you wouldn't mind being a little more patient for my July 2016 trip report (I'm looking at you, @TrolleyFollower91 ;)) I now give you this:

View attachment 156257

Main Street, July 1972
I am loving this look into yesterday! Great idea! How cool that you have been with Disney World since its earliest days!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Is that fabulous hat still around?
Alas, no. 😔

Mannix!! Love the theme song. There used to be some great music in some of those network shows. (Probably my favorite was the theme song from the original Hawaii Five-0, but I also liked Mannix as well as others.)

For your listening pleasure (Mannix fans) -- :)

This was great @MinnieM123! Hadn’t heard the song in decades and remembered the melody in the first few notes! (By any chance do you remember Name that Tune? Loved that show and must crow that I was quite good at it!)

Forgot to chime in on this post too...!!! :facepalm:;)
That area was called West Center Street...!!! :)

Thanks for the link @donaldtoo! Memories....

I am loving this look into yesterday! Great idea! How cool that you have been with Disney World since its earliest days!
It has been a blessing. Thanks for reading!

Your pictures bring back so many memories of my first visit May 72. I never took any pictures so this was a real treat ---Thanks
I’m glad you enjoyed it. :happy:

Tom 55

My first trip to Disney World was in 1979 and the second in 1982. I too took pictures using slide film. My brother and I developed the slides so cost was minimul. So I have a lot of pictures. Years ago my son scanned them into computer. The format he used is not one that this site can handle so I have never been able to do what you have done here. In 79 they were still using tickets for the rides. You bought a book with different letter. Best rides were"E" tickets. By 82 they had switched to a pass for the whole park even then there were people still using up the books of tickets. I was able to include a picture this time. Me with my Mickey ice cream from 1982. Will think about posting the pictures I have of the rides that are no more.

Attachments

• Scan90004.png
    Scan90004.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 161

maxntina

This post is so wonderful...it literally brought tears to my eyes! I am a true Disney girl - started at DL at 8, but my DD started at 3 at WDW. Your pic of you and your Dad is so precious. You are very fortunate!

donaldtoo

Thanks for the link @donaldtoo! Memories....

You're welcome...!!! :)

Our first WDW family vacation was in July of 2001, which was the year the Emporium engulfed West Center Street, but, I just cant remember if it was still there, under construction, or already gone during our visit...?
I could swear I remember it and all those flowers still being there during that trip, though, so maybe it was still there...or, I could be remembering that from our honeymoon trip back in '88...?!
Anyway, I learned what of the name of it was from a trivia book back in 2007...!!! :)

Communicora

Premium Member
All too soon, our day at the Magic Kingdom had come to an end. We could not stay through the evening as my grandmother had a health issue and we needed to get back on the road.

View attachment 156334
Notice the exit turnstile and the meticulous janitor keeping the area clean :inlove:.

There was a water-skiing show on the Seven Seas Lagoon featuring Mickey and Goofy. I remember catching part of it before boarding the monorail but my dad did not get any pictures.
View attachment 156335

Though I don't recall what happened next, the incident is very vivid in my mother's mind. As we backed out of our parking space, she heard muffled sobs from the back seat.

Mom: "Honey, what's wrong?"
Me (in what would be one of the most ironic statements ever spoken) : "I bet I'll NEVER get to come back here AGAIN!!"

:rolleyes::oops::in pain::jawdrop::facepalm::hilarious::joyfull:

Stay tuned for our next visit.....in 1973.
Aww. This was beautiful. Thank you for sharing!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Aww. This was beautiful. Thank you for sharing!
Thank you for reading!

Hmmmm I'm SUPER late for this TR, but it's awesome. My first time to MK was in 1989 with my grandparents. I was 18.

Anyway! I can't help but wonder if this is the same vehicle that is on display at All-Star Movies? They have a plaque that says it was officially used in parades near it... I'm guessing it might be the same!
I remember a Herbie car at All Star Movies from a long-ago visit but I must not have read the plaque. Now I’m curious!

MySmallWorldof4

Hmmmm I'm SUPER late for this TR, but it's awesome. My first time to MK was in 1989 with my grandparents. I was 18.

Anyway! I can't help but wonder if this is the same vehicle that is on display at All-Star Movies? They have a plaque that says it was officially used in parades near it... I'm guessing it might be the same!
If you wouldn't have been late, I never would have found it. ;) This was amazing! I appreciate your sharing of some of your fondest memories. Thanks!

Minnesota disney fan

Wow, Thanks for all the memories, T! Our first visit was l977 and it was such a different "world" back then. My parents went to WDW a few months after it opened. They were in awe and full of stores that made us want to visit! I think there were only 3 attractions open then? I can't remember what they were, but I think it was POC, HM, and? They also ate at this wonderful Crystal Palace with fabulous food and the price was really low too, not like today:)

sinead

View attachment 156251

View attachment 156257

Main Street, July 1972
I'm going to LOVE this....Was there in Sept '72 as a teen. Polynesian $35 p/nite. A big SPLURGE for my dad but it reminded him of his service in the Pacific Theatre as a Navy Seabee, WW II. Thanks for sharing this ! 🌴🌺🏰🎆

John park hopper

I can remember the Polynesian lobby in 1972 and the first time walking in and just being amazed it was absolutely beautiful and then going to the luau in 1977 on our honeymoon we were staying at the Contemporary. Disney gutted the poly lobby and it has never been the same. since so sad

lindawdw

OMG, I absolutely loved reading this TR of your early days at WDW and the pictures brought back such wonderful memories of my time back in the 1970's! Our lives run parallel in so many ways so I totally understand how you fell in love with WDW and dreamed of getting back there. I will say that anyone who was lucky enough to visit WDW in the 1970's and early 1980's has such an appreciation for the early years when the MK and then Epcot in 1982 were so immaculately clean and the lines were so manageable. We truly felt relaxed when there and enjoyed all the aspects of the parks and resorts because time was on your side with just the MK to explore and then with Epcot it was a new adventure that awaited Disney fans. Thanks for sharing those beautiful memories.

Wicked Sisters

In the Parks
No
Absolutely loved reading this TR. We first visited WDW in 1981 and remember seeing SSE still being built. We used to stay down International Drive when there were very few hotels in those days. Does anyone remember when your photo was taken and printed onto your Disney ticket and one year we had our ticket on a piece of string round our neck. Those were the days.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom