Trip Report It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas! *COMPLETED*

The soothing croon of Michael Bublé kept reverberating in my mind as I pondered starting yet another trip report. Like summer, the Christmas season makes me happy. Going to WDW during the Christmas season makes me VERY HAPPY. The joy of sharing my trips with my WDWMAGIC friends makes me happier still. Thank you for the encouragement to keep on writing!

Holiday Vacation #1
When: November 16-23, 2019
Where: Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Who: Tuvalu and Woody

Looky! I finally got a Magic Shot!

8C56E00E-3234-4EFE-BE77-9111D4282F2B.jpeg

Okay, so it’s a bit creepy. But it leaves no doubt that this was a CHRISTMAS trip.

In mid-November. :hilarious:

But hey, we had Halloween in August!

And yours truly was very excited to experience Christmas decor at the resorts and in 3 of the 4 parks. (Epcot was still in full “Food and Wine” mode.) It wasn’t always this festive in November. We’ve been this same week in the past and outside of MK, there was very little decorating completed. I was so disappointed the year we stayed at WL (very close to turkey day) and missed out on the holiday stuff. I was worried the same thing would happen again. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Woody, on the other hand, is a “Let’s celebrate Thanksgiving before shifting our focus to Christmas” kind of guy. Growing up, his family did not put up their tree until CHRISTMAS EVE. (Can you imagine?!!) Over the years he has mellowed, thanks to my influence, and better tolerates the Christmas creep. Yet I was concerned that his inner Scrooge might reveal itself during this vacation.

I needn’t have worried. But I’m getting ahead of myself again.

Our week consisted of some new experiences and old experiences....some frustrations....some drama (of course!)....and a very magical meet.

Stay tuned.

93boomer

Premium Member
It was sprinkling again so we decided to browse Star Traders. Browsing became buying. Em picked up a new cap, I succumbed to the Castle leggings I’d admired for awhile, and we splurged on matching Spirit jerseys. Merry Christmas to us!!

Em wanted to ride the Speedway with the special lighting. A dark, gray morning would be perfect for experiencing the colorful effects.

But as luck(?) would have it, the sun came out as we entered the queue.

View attachment 449397

Em and I shared a car. She’s wearing her new hat.

View attachment 449399

She had to practice her international driving skills, as the driver’s seat was on the right and she had to press the gas pedal with her left foot. Combined with the wet track and our inability to really see the special lightning (the whole reason for going on this attraction) we could only laugh as we put-putted along.

View attachment 449398

View attachment 449400

View attachment 449401

A different view of the TRON construction.
View attachment 449402

Weird sun!
View attachment 449403

It wasn’t the ride we thought we’d have but we still had fun!

View attachment 449404
Nice hat Em!! 👍🏻

lindawdw

You both took the rain in stride and enjoyed your time together in The Most Magical Place on Earth! It bums me out when my sneakers get wet dodging the puddles at the Parks! I enjoyed all your pictures along the way and the parade was such a highlight for me to see since I haven't had the chance to experience the parade in person for quite a few years now! It's so nice that you and Em enjoy WDW so much together. :)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Hi Tu
You should have taken some flowers from the restroom to add to your dessert
View attachment 449614

This next one is disappointing to me
Why not add a skirt to the bottom so we do not see the wheels
View attachment 449613

Max
Did not encounter any restroom flowers in December to add to the Bundt. Ironically I saw some in an unexpected location this month (you know I took a picture!)

Agree with you and @RememberWhen about the poor show of the “sleigh on wheels.” It would have been easy to conceal them.

slipperalwaysfits

I saw the dejection on Em’s face. (Can you relate @Mickey Waffles?) In protest I cancel the Master’s cupcake I’d pre-ordered.
We no longer have strawberry cupcakes,” the CM replied. “They’re lemon meringue."
I saw the dejection on Em’s face. (Can you relate @Mickey Waffles?) In protest I cancel the Master’s cupcake I’d pre-ordered.

OHhhhhhhh, I feel sorry for Em and anyone else who likes Strawberry cupcakes! You are a very sweet mom to give up your cupcake in solidarity!!!

Do I Remember the Magic?
Yes, yes I do.
This float is over 20 years old!

I LOVE this float (and mostly the characters they put on it!););) :geek: :geek:

This next one is disappointing to me
Why not add a skirt to the bottom so we do not see the wheels

Disney is usually soooo detail conscious, I'm surprised they didn't have a hidden skirt for Anna and Elsa's sleigh.

To reward Em for her patience, I bought her a Mickey M&M Rice Krispie treat from the Confectionery, which she enjoyed while people-watching atop the train station.

What a great view! Sunbreak!

which look perhaps wreath-like, and they were taken on August 30th 2018.

I'm really surprised they leave the wreath up all year!!! :jawdrop::jawdrop: But I love the added touch!

Swissmiss

Premium Member
You both took the rain in stride and enjoyed your time together in The Most Magical Place on Earth! It bums me out when my sneakers get wet dodging the puddles at the Parks!

I agree - luckily it is usually warm enough at WDW when I’m there to wear sandals or flip-flops. Anything to not have wet socks!

Did not encounter any restroom flowers in December to add to the Bundt. Ironically I saw some in an unexpected location this month (you know I took a picture!)

I was surprised to find them in the restroom in Pop Century during my end of the year trip - especially as there were none in any of the restrooms I visited. I forgot to take a picture of them though, and they were quite pretty.

Minnesota disney fan

O h no not the strawberry cupcake! I always order that. But we weren't fortunate enough to get a BOG adr this time. I have been checking every day, but no luck. We leave 2/25, so in a week. Do you think it's possible to get one the day before or same day? I've never done this but we are bummed, as our daughter has never eaten there and wanted to. I know, it's hard to believe that someone hasn't eaten there yet, but... Thanks for the adorable parade pictures. It looks like a fabulous parade, and I am not a parade person (rather ride the rides:)

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I was surprised to find them in the restroom in Pop Century during my end of the year trip - especially as there were none in any of the restrooms I visited. I forgot to take a picture of them though, and they were quite pretty.
You mean these?

6708DB36-88C8-4BBF-96A0-841A9C0A5211.jpeg

Sigh.

🤣

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
But we weren't fortunate enough to get a BOG adr this time. I have been checking every day, but no luck. We leave 2/25, so in a week. Do you think it's possible to get one the day before or same day? I've never done this but we are bummed, as our daughter has never eaten there and wanted to.
Definitely check day before and day of. I’ve been successful doing both!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Monday, con’t

Em loves the Wilderness Lodge during the holidays as much as I do. Therefore I felt it was imperative that she see the decorations this year.

After a relaxing afternoon break we took an Uber to the Lodge.

Em’s first reaction.....”Wow!”
51B3614D-9C92-4C49-9CC0-50AD4B244435.jpeg

It’s a view we never tire of.....and it’s always, “Wow!”

5B41FDC7-4290-4A99-ACF5-1244CB5E616B.jpeg

We had a dinner ADR at Whispering Canyon. The restaurant was decorated with lots of garland and white lights. Even if we didn’t have a direct view of the massive tree, we would be seated in a festive dining room!

Only we weren’t.

After walking past numerous empty tables, the host led us into the back alcove that overlooks the Artist Point check in desk. No festive garland, no white lights, no tree.

26C24929-2EE2-41C2-8D37-D9CA50A47F12.jpeg

Just a small wreath over the faux fireplace.
69B9A4DA-F98A-411E-8E7D-E24E318790AE.jpeg

We were far away from the fun shenanigans in the main dining area. Our server was a dud, even though I tried to engage her. It felt like we were outcasts at a party. (Notice all the vacant tables around us?)

A17F5278-2A43-4127-A4CE-0ECCCEF7CB71.jpeg

The pulled pork nachos lifted our spirits. We each had our own order.

1F935704-4F89-4E68-9EDD-978A5362FF1A.jpeg

But we couldn’t shake the feeling of disappointment in a meal we had high hopes for. We didn’t even order our usual dessert. Instead we paid the bill and went to find some Christmas magic in touring the Lodge.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Monday, con’t

Em loves the Wilderness Lodge during the holidays as much as I do. Therefore I felt it was imperative that she see the decorations this year.

After a relaxing afternoon break we took an Uber to the Lodge.

Em’s first reaction.....”Wow!”
View attachment 449739

It’s a view we never tire of.....and it’s always, “Wow!”

View attachment 449740

We had a dinner ADR at Whispering Canyon. The restaurant was decorated with lots of garland and white lights. Even if we didn’t have a direct view of the massive tree, we would be seated in a festive dining room!

Only we weren’t.

After walking past numerous empty tables, the host led us into the back alcove that overlooks the Artist Point check in desk. No festive garland, no white lights, no tree.

View attachment 449742

Just a small wreath over the faux fireplace.
View attachment 449743

We were far away from the fun shenanigans in the main dining area. Our server was a dud, even though I tried to engage her. It felt like we were outcasts at a party. (Notice all the vacant tables around us?)

View attachment 449741

The pulled pork nachos lifted our spirits. We each had our own order.

View attachment 449744

But we couldn’t shake the feeling of disappointment in a meal we had high hopes for. We didn’t even order our usual dessert. Instead we paid the bill and went to find some Christmas magic in touring the Lodge.
I wonder if a different table can be requested in situations like these, given that you walked past available tables? Were all those tables taken when you finished your meal? If not, I just don't get the reasoning behind this. 🤔🤷‍♀️

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The drained “bubbling brook” in the lobby was not very magical.

ED657EA5-BC37-4A54-ADA5-B28DCF71496E.jpeg

C27883E0-0819-4E93-B279-BD8B2822E8BA.jpeg

But the gingerbread cabin smelled like Christmas and Em enjoyed noticing the details on this new creation.

D5354384-186F-4058-BF0B-CA00F9B22403.jpeg

And a choir arrived to provide holiday cheer.

1383403A-ED95-4B02-BA24-847D23D3DD5E.jpeg

Feeling happier, we went into the Mercantile to browse. Though Em and I had finished our Christmas shopping (and wrapping) it was nice to see this option if we hadn’t.

E36A9578-AB1B-4163-8690-6D2F87DCE45B.jpeg

5FCB908E-0619-4304-9EF9-E9AEA0F9055B.jpeg

We returned to the lobby to admire the decorations again. Then Em suggested ice cream from Roaring Fork.

Tonight’s topping was cookie crumbles. No M&Ms. Em would have preferred M&Ms, but I reminded her she’d already had her M&M allotment for the day!

3236C78E-2E43-4679-8585-DD89B9A53072.jpeg

8978AF1F-DE14-42A2-8FC0-4086E64ABDF6.jpeg

myhappyplace

Crazy Cat Lady
Premium Member
My friend and I were once seated back there, after I had told her of the fun shenanigans that go on. We were both very disappointed, though this was back in the day when they served a dish I believe to be called Western Chicken Pasta, that was amazing, and I miss it.

I never tire of WL Christmas decorations, either :inlove:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
More campsites.

07922713-B472-4FBF-8F10-9AC278D862BB.jpeg

C3AF0D22-DF03-40DA-B009-7F37E263EC21.jpeg

E134EDD0-D151-42B9-B904-EF3EAAD80EEF.jpeg

70769889-05F0-41F9-9879-A012DD738A89.jpeg

1E45780F-6B78-41A7-9A23-7F9E6534097D.jpeg

F44129D1-A198-424E-88F8-264E07F29DD8.jpeg

9E988547-5624-4E24-8D41-4ADB38818011.jpeg

Only an Ebenezer Scrooge could wander the campground and not be filled with wonder and joy. Some displays had music; in the last picture above, colored lights were choreographed to holiday tunes.

The constant drizzle prevented us from remaining longer. But we had big smiles on our faces upon returning to the dock.

6E37BD5F-182D-43BD-A1AE-A755C1E1160F.jpeg

Fireworks weren’t for a couple hours. But there were very few ways to pass the time that didn’t include rain.

A Tuvalu and Em vacation without fireworks??! As unbelievable as that sounds, that’s exactly what happened. :jawdrop: We Ubered back to POFQ and booked a bounce back for summer ~ when we hope to remedy our fireworks deficit.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom