Trip Report It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas! *COMPLETED*

The soothing croon of Michael Bublé kept reverberating in my mind as I pondered starting yet another trip report. Like summer, the Christmas season makes me happy. Going to WDW during the Christmas season makes me VERY HAPPY. The joy of sharing my trips with my WDWMAGIC friends makes me happier still. Thank you for the encouragement to keep on writing!

Holiday Vacation #1
When: November 16-23, 2019
Where: Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Who: Tuvalu and Woody

Looky! I finally got a Magic Shot!

8C56E00E-3234-4EFE-BE77-9111D4282F2B.jpeg

Okay, so it’s a bit creepy. But it leaves no doubt that this was a CHRISTMAS trip.

In mid-November. :hilarious:

But hey, we had Halloween in August!

And yours truly was very excited to experience Christmas decor at the resorts and in 3 of the 4 parks. (Epcot was still in full “Food and Wine” mode.) It wasn’t always this festive in November. We’ve been this same week in the past and outside of MK, there was very little decorating completed. I was so disappointed the year we stayed at WL (very close to turkey day) and missed out on the holiday stuff. I was worried the same thing would happen again. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Woody, on the other hand, is a “Let’s celebrate Thanksgiving before shifting our focus to Christmas” kind of guy. Growing up, his family did not put up their tree until CHRISTMAS EVE. (Can you imagine?!!) Over the years he has mellowed, thanks to my influence, and better tolerates the Christmas creep. Yet I was concerned that his inner Scrooge might reveal itself during this vacation.

I needn’t have worried. But I’m getting ahead of myself again.

Our week consisted of some new experiences and old experiences....some frustrations....some drama (of course!)....and a very magical meet.

Stay tuned.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
The rain wasn’t hard but it was steady. FP #3 was a wash-out. A nighttime wild ride through the wilderness wasn’t gonna happen. :arghh:

We decided to go admire the Castle lights for a bit.

92120534-4D7F-4840-AAB1-94384FB0F996.jpeg

The colored lighting was especially pretty tonight.

4B530865-5B4B-4991-AB24-7ECD4C5DC6AA.jpeg

D768DEC8-0EF5-4914-9BB4-71F2324C76EA.jpeg

072A2430-C798-4F36-8A31-F5B7F257B2A1.jpeg

Since we were gypped out of one favorite nighttime attraction we decided to ride another.

DA589756-9829-4BBB-BA8A-7C4DE904E81E.jpeg

The rain wasn’t letting up and it definitely put a damper on our desire to stay in the park. We didn’t even want to hang around for Happily Ever After. :jawdrop:

Trivia time: How many holiday trees appear across the Walt Disney World Resort?

E246850B-21FD-4CB4-B05F-3CCFC32F9C4A.jpeg

Answer: 1500 trees!

When we got back to POFQ we went in search of dessert. I was intrigued by a chocolate beignet until I learned it was just a regular beignet topped with Hershey’s syrup. Pass.

Em decided on ice cream. It was SO. MUCH. EFFORT. for the CM to scoop the ice cream. It wasn’t so much a “scoop” as hard chunks of ice cream pieces, which did not even fill the cup. Not at all photo-worthy and certainly not worth six dollars!

We trudged through the rain to our room and got ready for bed. We had an early wake-up planned!

lindawdw

Your dinner from Pecos Bill looked so good that I have added it to my trip in February as a CS that I must eat at again since it's been years. Sorry that it rained on your fun night at MK. :( Hopefully the weather was better in the morning for you.

Minnesota disney fan

I love the night time pictures! MK is especially magical in the dark. Is this your first trip to POFQ? We always stay there due to mobility reasons and it is easier to get around for us. Less than a month now til we get to POFQ, and away from the dreary grey winter!

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Sunday, December 22

Our feet were aching at the end of this rainy day (we walked nearly 23,000 steps), but what a grand day it was!

I awakened before 5 am and Em woke shortly thereafter. She made herself some coffee and we breakfasted on pastries before leaving the room at 5:45 am ~ in the rain.

Buses are supposed to start running an hour prior to park opening, right? DHS opened at 7 am so we figured if we got to the bus stop before 6, we’d make the first bus of the day.

8B490565-3B05-4C30-A453-BE9D1DDB5879.jpeg

I’m betting we did board the first bus of the day, but the bus did not arrive until 6:12 am. Each precious minute counted, because everyone on that bus (which had filled to capacity when the driver opened the door) had the same goal ~ nab a coveted Boarding Group for Rise of the Resistance.

In the two weeks since the mega-attraction debuted, the process for obtaining a Boarding Group (BG) had changed from first-come first-served to everyone vying for a BG at 7 am when the system unlocked. BGs were (and still are) fully distributed for the day within minutes. Obtaining a BG is akin to winning the lottery.

Now the irony of what Em and I were doing was really quite funny.
1. We never play lotteries.
2. We have very limited knowledge of anything Star Wars.
3. We really don’t care for anything Star Wars.
4. We had no intention of even trying to experience Rise of the Resistance this trip.

On the flight down we had discussed the possibility of attempting the BG lottery. We figured we’d give it a shot since we had nothing to lose. If we didn’t get a BG, oh well. And if we got one but had other plans for that time, oh well again.

Yet we did hurry when the bus dropped us off at DHS. We wanted to get through security and tap into the park ASAP so that we’d be ready for the 7 am payout.

BE1DF0E6-280E-4560-AFFB-FD0C194BAD94.jpeg

To pass the time while waiting to go through the tapstiles, Em searched for a dinner ADR for tonight. In doing so she discovered availability at Oga’s Cantina. She looked at me and we Star Wars Ignorants said simultaneously, “Book it!” 🤣

She also managed to secure an ADR where we could have a proper meal.

Twenty minutes later we had moved from outside the park to inside.

6F5C3FF7-7315-4888-A6D0-3656793A3F3C.jpeg

We were held on Hollywood Blvd. with the masses.

Both of us had our phones out at 6:59 am and we watched the seconds tick down. In a scene reminiscent of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, Em had the fastest finger!

How did she do?

6AE7850A-9F98-4D83-8F44-72ED0C629266.jpeg

Boarding Group 3??!!! Both of us burst into hysterics. We began to move forward with the crowd as the park was now open. It was a slow shuffle and I managed to take this picture (which looks like a nighttime shot rather than early morning).

06A0D850-0F7C-4F68-99F1-616B15D58FF8.jpeg

At this point we were in front of the Hyperion Theater (Frozen Sing-a-Long) and we received notification that our Boarding Group was called!!

Batuu, here we come!

9F5C72D3-88DE-4E33-B320-1DA05A647BB5.jpeg

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
Sunday, December 22

Our feet were aching at the end of this rainy day (we walked nearly 23,000 steps), but what a grand day it was!

I awakened before 5 am and Em woke shortly thereafter. She made herself some coffee and we breakfasted on pastries before leaving the room at 5:45 am ~ in the rain.

Buses are supposed to start running an hour prior to park opening, right? DHS opened at 7 am so we figured if we got to the bus stop before 6, we’d make the first bus of the day.

View attachment 445785

I’m betting we did board the first bus of the day, but the bus did not arrive until 6:12 am. Each precious minute counted, because everyone on that bus (which had filled to capacity when the driver opened the door) had the same goal ~ nab a coveted Boarding Group for Rise of the Resistance.

In the two weeks since the mega-attraction debuted, the process for obtaining a Boarding Group (BG) had changed from first-come first-served to everyone vying for a BG at 7 am when the system unlocked. BGs were (and still are) fully distributed for the day within minutes. Obtaining a BG is akin to winning the lottery.

4. We had no intention of even trying to experience Rise of the Resistance this trip.

On the flight down we had discussed the possibility of attempting the BG lottery. We figured we’d give it a shot since we had nothing to lose. If we didn’t get a BG, oh well. And if we got one but had other plans for that time, oh well again.

Yet we did hurry when the bus dropped us off at DHS. We wanted to get through security and tap into the park ASAP so that we’d be ready for the 7 am payout.

View attachment 445786

To pass the time while waiting to go through the tapstiles, Em searched for a dinner ADR for tonight. In doing so she discovered availability at Oga’s Cantina. She looked at me and we Star Wars Ignorants said simultaneously, “Book it!” 🤣

View attachment 445787

Both of us had our phones out at 6:59 am and we watched the seconds tick down. In a scene reminiscent of Who Wants to Be a Millionaire, Em had the fastest finger!

How did she do?

View attachment 445788

Boarding Group 3??!!! Both of us burst into hysterics. We began to move forward with the crowd as the park was now open. It was a slow shuffle and I managed to take this picture (which looks like a nighttime shot rather than early morning).

View attachment 445789

At this point we were in front of the Hyperion Theater (Frozen Sing-a-Long) and we received notification that our Boarding Group was called!!

Batuu, here we come!

View attachment 445790
You're giving me hope! 😀
Can't wait to read your opinions on RotR. Good job Em! 🙌

93boomer

Premium Member
Sunday, December 22

View attachment 445785

View attachment 445786

View attachment 445787

How did she do?

View attachment 445788

View attachment 445789

Batuu, here we come!

View attachment 445790
Whew!!! I can’t wait!! The suspense is killing me!!!🤣

MickeyCB

While I like Star Wars and some of the characters (not a super mega fan), I really really really want to ride RotR, so excited for guys!

MissViv

So excited you got boarding group #3. Looking forward to your thoughts.

I am not a big Star Wars fan either but my niece, who is going with me on this next trip, is so hopefully we can get on.

The park doesn't open until 9:00 a.m. on 3/02 when we will be there. Wonder why?

MinnieM123

Premium Member
Way too much effort for people to go on that attraction. :in pain: And that photo of the hordes of people at an early hour trying to get into DHS?! (Not that crowds are anything new down there, but wow -- this whole procedure is just a bit over the top for me.) You and Em have more patience and stamina than I do!! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom