Trip Report Surprise Visit. 2 nights, 1day, 4 Parks?

Why wouldn’t it be, right?

For those who don’t know, we had a 2 week Disney Cruise/WDW vacay scheduled last year. Due to issues at work I had to cut the trip to 9 days. Gave my son the choice between the DCL Fantasy or Disney World.
Much to my surprise, he chose WDW. I lost a portion of my cruise fare to Disney, as I had already made the final payment.

Fast forward to this year’s “Disney Trip” it was also a cruise combo.. and then.. Irma happened. No, she didn’t mess with my trip dates, but she did mess with a region that is dear to my heart- the Florida Keys.

Talked to my son, we made the collective decision to cancel the WDW portion and go to the Keys instead. So I cancelled all Disney reservations, and made new ones for Key West. Contacted volunteer organizations in the Middle Keys so we could help out.

And Then...the drama...
One day last month, my kid comes home from school with a “Reconciliation” project for religion class. I look at the school calendar to remind myself of when he made his first reconciliation. And., my heart sunk in my chest. It was the day that we were supposed to arrive home from our trip.
How could this happen?? How did I not realize this???

I scramble to find earlier return flights and to somehow fix this. I think about doing a pre cruise instead of post cruise trip.. but... end of semester gets in the way.

However, If we can’t go to Key West then at least we can go back to a version of our original Disney plans.,. But there’s No Availability!!!

Then I debate just staying in Miami, or Ft Lauderdale,...book the W in Ft Lauderdale, and then a week later change my mind, cancel, and book our regular resort in Boca Raton.

Flights at this point are insanely priced., I have to eat the cost of the originals non refundable flights.. It’s like deja vu!

I kept checking Disney’s website daily, I kept checking flights daily..played with dates a bit.. booked a one way flight to MCO and a one way flight from MCO to FLL...and FINALLY late Friday Night, November 10th, I got a reservation at Disney!!
Even if it wasn’t my preferred dates.

Hooray, right?!?! I look at Disney’s Park Hours.. BOTH of our nights are MVMCP nights. BOTH. Back to Back.
Oh well, no Happily Ever After viewing for us :(. We’ll still be in Disney!

Sounds good now.. there’s a plan. All that’s left to do it book return flights the following Sunday evening.
Piece of cake.
But....

Which brings us to an hour ago. Sunday, November 12th. I. Can’t. Do. It. I can not bring myself to pay these stupid plane fares for a 2.5 hour flight. The times are also a mess, leaving Orlando super early. I just can’t do it. I’m far from cheap, but I’m not stupid.. and purchasing those flights made me feel like a complete idiot... Especially when I still couldn’t get the return time that we need...

Soooo... we’re driving!!!
Myself and a 7 year old. Driving from Ohio to Florida. Over 1200 Miles one way.

This Should Be Interesting.

Kiddo is not happy about driving.. I pitched it as a ‘Super Awesome Road Trip!” His response- “Uh, Mom, planes were made so people don’t have to drive to far places.”
“Sorry kiddo, we’re driving.”
“Ugh. Can I bring my tablet?”
“Yes.”
“Can I play it as much as I want.”
“Yes.”
“Ok, fine. But wait, can you really drive all by yourself? All the way to the cruise?”
“I’ll be fine, we’re going to stop at a hotel along the way so we can sleep.”
“Ok mommy. Sounds like a plan.”

Little does he know.. that “hotel” is actually at Disney World.. and we’re breaking up our drive with 2 nights of “magic”.
That part I’m keeping a complete surprise.

Btw- we leave Wednesday evening. As in THREE days from now.

My head is spinning.

I swear that I can not mesh with more than 1 week vacations the past 12 months.. no matter how well I “planned in advance”.

Last edited:

21stamps

Original Poster
And...

Don’t know if you can see in this photo, but of course it’s pouring down raining when I have 6 errands to run :(

Luckily I just pawned Tristan off on another mom. I won’t have to pick him up from school today, and he’s going to play at their house while I finish up.

So much for being grounded.

Ahh.. and I also just realized that my trash cans are still out from this morning. Awesome.

Sorry.. yes, I would like some cheese with all of my whine. Preferably brie, could you throw some grapes on the plate as well?

Last edited:

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
Oh man, I'm a jerk. I should have read through this sooner but my kid has been throwing up and that's been all consuming. I could have helped. Or at the very least brought you some ugly sweaters from our stash. I'm so sorry!

When my life gets like this, it helps me to repeat "I don't have to do it all, I just have to do the next thing". It helps me focus on just what the next thing is that needs to be done. I don't know if that's helpful to you but it helps me.

Have a safe trip tonight and if you get sleepy PULL OVER!!! I used to road trip all the time for the Army and it was not abnormal to find me napping in a McDonalds parking lot for an hour. That hour long rest could save your life.

21stamps

Original Poster
Doesn’t feel like I’ve made much progress.

8C56D8E3-C7E0-4765-8CBA-0CF846D899E8.png
B803C8AC-0249-48D9-8B2B-2AB3A87A9188.png

We’re waving to you @epcotisbest ! :)

21stamps

Original Poster
Oh man, I'm a jerk. I should have read through this sooner but my kid has been throwing up and that's been all consuming. I could have helped. Or at the very least brought you some ugly sweaters from our stash. I'm so sorry!

When my life gets like this, it helps me to repeat "I don't have to do it all, I just have to do the next thing". It helps me focus on just what the next thing is that needs to be done. I don't know if that's helpful to you but it helps me.

Have a safe trip tonight and if you get sleepy PULL OVER!!! I used to road trip all the time for the Army and it was not abnormal to find me napping in a McDonalds parking lot for an hour. That hour long rest could save your life.

Thank you!! I hope your daughter feels better soon!!

Pixieish

The dabbing...dear Lord it drives me INSANE!!! It just looks so dang dumb and of course my son thinks it's the best thing EVAH.

Hope you get some coffee soon - I really can't function on a long drive without it - even if it's Starbucks (DD lover here ;))

Hope you have lots of fun - and REEEELLLAAAAX! It's all going to be great!!!!

21stamps

Original Poster
How's he doing so far?

A lot better than I thought he would!!

I think he was just excited to finally leave last night (several hours behind schedule), so only one “how long does it take to get there?”

Today-

“You know, if we would have just taken a plane then we would already be in Florida.”

And a-

“Oh my gosh this is taking FOREVER. Are we almost there?!”

I’ll take it. I thought it was going to be “Are we there yet?” like a broken record.

He played his tablet.. did some crossword puzzles.. now we’re stopped again but have been jammin’ out to music, dancing and singing in the car.

He looks about as excited about long car rides as I do!

I haven’t even taken a photo of myself for that very reason. Some ideas sound much better in theory than they actually are.lol

epcotisbest

I have no clue what his reaction will be... hopefully he’s not too tired to be surprised!

Logged in when I got home to check your progress. Looks like about three more hours for your drive. I always enjoy that cup of orange juice at the welcome center, where I always pick up way too many brochures as well. Looks like you have had good weather for the drive. Again, be safe.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom