Trip Report It’s Beginning to Look a Lot Like Christmas! *COMPLETED*

The soothing croon of Michael Bublé kept reverberating in my mind as I pondered starting yet another trip report. Like summer, the Christmas season makes me happy. Going to WDW during the Christmas season makes me VERY HAPPY. The joy of sharing my trips with my WDWMAGIC friends makes me happier still. Thank you for the encouragement to keep on writing!

Holiday Vacation #1
When: November 16-23, 2019
Where: Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Disney’s Wilderness Lodge
Who: Tuvalu and Woody

Looky! I finally got a Magic Shot!

8C56E00E-3234-4EFE-BE77-9111D4282F2B.jpeg

Okay, so it’s a bit creepy. But it leaves no doubt that this was a CHRISTMAS trip.

In mid-November. :hilarious:

But hey, we had Halloween in August!

And yours truly was very excited to experience Christmas decor at the resorts and in 3 of the 4 parks. (Epcot was still in full “Food and Wine” mode.) It wasn’t always this festive in November. We’ve been this same week in the past and outside of MK, there was very little decorating completed. I was so disappointed the year we stayed at WL (very close to turkey day) and missed out on the holiday stuff. I was worried the same thing would happen again. But I’m getting ahead of myself.

Woody, on the other hand, is a “Let’s celebrate Thanksgiving before shifting our focus to Christmas” kind of guy. Growing up, his family did not put up their tree until CHRISTMAS EVE. (Can you imagine?!!) Over the years he has mellowed, thanks to my influence, and better tolerates the Christmas creep. Yet I was concerned that his inner Scrooge might reveal itself during this vacation.

I needn’t have worried. But I’m getting ahead of myself again.

Our week consisted of some new experiences and old experiences....some frustrations....some drama (of course!)....and a very magical meet.

Stay tuned.

93boomer

Premium Member
Part Tu ~ Christmastime is Here!

The happy voices of the Peanuts gang set the tone for my second holiday trip of the season. I did not expect to travel to the World four days before Christmas.....what crazy person does that? I have been that crazy person in the past and vowed never again. (Too much prep work for Christmas to complete before leaving town, not to mention the crazy crowd levels at the parks.)

But I am lousy at keeping Disney vows. Especially when my darling daughter is involved. Proof here.

Em loves Disney during the holidays as much as I do and was super bummed that her teacher’s schedule did not allow for an early December visit this year. 2019 had been a difficult year for our family so when Woody suggested a last-minute girls’ trip, Em and I jumped at the chance.

Holiday Vacation #2
When: December 21-24, 2019
Where: Port Orleans French Quarter
Who: Tuvalu and Em

Déjà vu Magic Shot!

View attachment 443819

But this PP pic was our favorite.

View attachment 443820

It was cold. Lots of rain. Incredibly crowded.

But a once-in-a-lifetime event was the prize for our endurance.

I can’t wait to get started.
I have the same coat Em is wearing! :happy:

Minnesota disney fan

Loving your report. I think a trip to Disney is a test of our patience, big time! You and Woody did great in that your waited and did not say anything. I'm afraid I might have murmured something and probably gotten thrown into the gingerbread house in the end, Oh well!!!
I think you are right about SDD fast passes. We have only been able to get them after 5pm each time. But it is no hardship as we love HS after dark. The lights are always beautiful, esp at Christmastime.
I am wondering where all the crowds were at the MK and HS? They didn't seem crowded at any time. Gotta go and read the next 2 pages:)

Minnesota disney fan

Just read the start of your girls trip!
Our daughter (in the blue shirt), loves to come on part of our trips to WDW, too. We have never done a girl trip, because my husband loves Disney too much to leave him at home:(. But we have a great time together and really enjoy being with her. She doesn't stay for the whole trip though, because she doesn't want to "intrude on our alone time". ???? What? We've been married 52 years and have had enough "alone time", LOL. Can't wait for more, and at our favorite resort POFQ (one month left to wait!!)

BeautyBelle

I can't wait until my daughter is old enough that we can do an adult girls's trip. Of course I also want to stop her growing up so... in March my mom, sister, daughter and I are all going together and I can't wait! Your trip reports with Em are always so sweet.

RememberWhen

Yay for a Tuvalu and Em trip! We flew into MCO on the 21st, but were only around long enough to have lunch with our friends at Chef Mickey’s before heading to Cape Canaveral for the week. We were pretty much there at the same time! Maybe we’ll catch you this summer. 🤞

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
💜💜💜💜 Love that pic! Can't wait to read!
Those are just the cutest PP pictures of you and Em!!! So excited to read about your time together!🥰
Our 2019 was absolutely awful, as well. That's why we are determined to go this year.
OOOOOOOOOOHhhhhhhhhh, suspense!
Adorable pics and we all know @riverside approves of your hotel choice!
Looking forward to this 😊
Welcome, kind friends! :inlove:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
I think a trip to Disney is a test of our patience, big time! You and Woody did great in that your waited and did not say anything. I'm afraid I might have murmured something and probably gotten thrown into the gingerbread house in the end, Oh well!!!
I cannot imagine you saying anything unkind. :angelic:

Just read the start of your girls trip!
Our daughter (in the blue shirt), loves to come on part of our trips to WDW, too. We have never done a girl trip, because my husband loves Disney too much to leave him at home:(. But we have a great time together and really enjoy being with her. She doesn't stay for the whole trip though, because she doesn't want to "intrude on our alone time". ???? What? We've been married 52 years and have had enough "alone time", LOL. Can't wait for more, and at our favorite resort POFQ (one month left to wait!!)
Our family makes jokes about “alone time” too! But we really enjoy being together. Your vacation will be here before you know it!

I can't wait until my daughter is old enough that we can do an adult girls's trip. Of course I also want to stop her growing up so... in March my mom, sister, daughter and I are all going together and I can't wait! Your trip reports with Em are always so sweet.
Cherish every moment with your daughter, the years pass too quickly! Yet friendship with an adult daughter is priceless. I hope you have a wonderful time on your three-generation girls trip in March!

Yay for a Tuvalu and Em trip! We flew into MCO on the 21st, but were only around long enough to have lunch with our friends at Chef Mickey’s before heading to Cape Canaveral for the week. We were pretty much there at the same time! Maybe we’ll catch you this summer. 🤞
Bummer that we were so close! 😕

Yay! I'm looking forward to Part Tu!
Me Tu! :hilarious:

Tuvalu

Premium Member
Original Poster
Saturday, December 21

I’ve read many trip reports that began with 6 am flights and always thought, “Nope! Not for me!” Now, I have left my house at 6 am to drive to WDW but that means waking up only 45 minutes before departure. Getting to the airport for a 6 am flight means a 3:15 am wake-up ~ too early for this early riser!

You know where this is going, right?

Em and I got to be airport zombies this morning! Even the excitement of heading to our favorite place wasn’t enough to overcome the feeling of sleepwalking through the airport. We dropped off our bags and then stood in a non-moving security line for over half an hour, with hundreds of our zombie friends. For some reason the checkpoint we had been directed to was not staffed until after 5 am!!?? There was nearly a zombie riot as the minutes ticked by, with people at the front of the line yelling they were going to miss their flights. The security agent managing the line told the yellers to calm down. Angry words ensued and the police were summoned.

At last the TSA screeners arrived and the line began to move. Woody texted to say he’d arrived home and could not believe we were still waiting to go through security....he figured we’d be grabbing breakfast. Nope, no breakfast! We got to our gate....tired and hungry....just in time to line up for boarding.

F9CAADAF-978E-41F9-88D9-5D06975D217A.jpeg

Fun fact: The yellers were on our plane.

It’s a short flight from ATL to MCO and there’s not always beverage service. Em decided to doze rather than risk not getting her much-needed coffee. I tried closing my eyes to no avail.

Yeah, I may have to pass on a future 6 am flight.

Just before landing one of the attendants sang her alcoholic version of The Twelve Days of Christmas. (Honey, it’s 7 o’clock in the morning, you’re working in a plane full of families on their way to Disney World....is that really the best song choice?)

After disembarking we went straight to McDonald’s. Em said it was the best Egg McMuffin she’s ever had.

899E0D12-F213-44EC-B849-681E908BB34A.jpeg

Fueled up, we boarded the fonorail. I noticed a new Magical Express directional sign before entering the atrium.

AD81B3C2-CDBC-4347-9CCC-A311C7F660E1.jpeg

“Em, stand by the tree.”

CD65DC28-F4A5-4557-830A-3A226F691340.jpeg

Bring back Mickey and the Welcome to Walt Disney World wall! This is NOT an improvement!

6E6D588D-A44D-4FE2-9B4B-A9304CC7A285.jpeg

And neither is the store refurbishment. :bored:

5B4DDD6A-B377-4C42-9824-40F85F7FA4E7.jpeg

Swissmiss

Premium Member
I’m with you about early flights - and we only have a 10 minute drive to the airport! I am going on travel for work in a few months and asked the travel agency at work to give me some quotes so it can go on my request form. They actually priced out a flight coming back at 3:15 am - from a city where the airport is at least 45 mins away! And then others at 7ish. I wrote back saying I don’t take flights like that for private travel, please find me better options!

MinnieM123

Premium Member
As for eye-opener flights, I always take those. Well, o.k., I'm a morning person to begin with, but there's a few things to consider. First of all, usually the first flight out is always on schedule (versus "some" later ones, that might start to get backed up, due to various delays). Secondly, you arrive at Disney sooner, so by the time you get to WDW, you have additional hours more of your day, to enjoy the parks(s).

As for the remodel of the airport Disney store, I like the tile work design (Mickey) on the floor entrance. But the "like" stops at the door -- the inside (from what I could see) is that standard, cookie cutter display and horrible glaring, overhead lighting. Pass.

Rista1313

As for eye-opener flights, I always take those. Well, o.k., I'm a morning person to begin with, but there's a few things to consider. First of all, usually the first flight out is always on schedule (versus "some" later ones, that might start to get backed up, due to various delays). Secondly, you arrive at Disney sooner, so by the time you get to WDW, you have additional hours more of your day, to enjoy the parks(s).

As for the remodel of the airport Disney store, I like the tile work design (Mickey) on the floor entrance. But the "like" stops at the door -- the inside (from what I could see) is that standard, cookie cutter display and horrible glaring, overhead lighting. Pass.

I definitely am an early morning flight person. 1. Because I used to work for the airlines, and the later the flight, the chance for more delays and/or cancellations. 2. Because I always want to get where I'm going asap.

I'm breaking my own rules for my own trip to Vegas in September. We are taking first class and wanted an evening flight. The reasoning? If I'm paying for first class I want dinner, not breakfast. (crazy reasoning, I know!)

MissViv

Saturday, December 21

I’ve read many trip reports that began with 6 am flights and always thought, “Nope! Not for me!” Now, I have left my house at 6 am to drive to WDW but that means waking up only 45 minutes before departure. Getting to the airport for a 6 am flight means a 3:15 am wake-up ~ too early for this early riser!

You know where this is going, right?

Em and I got to be airport zombies this morning! Even the excitement of heading to our favorite place wasn’t enough to overcome the feeling of sleepwalking through the airport. We dropped off our bags and then stood in a non-moving security line for over half an hour, with hundreds of our zombie friends. For some reason the checkpoint we had been directed to was not staffed until after 5 am!!?? There was nearly a zombie riot as the minutes ticked by, with people at the front of the line yelling they were going to miss their flights. The security agent managing the line told the yellers to calm down. Angry words ensued and the police were summoned.

At last the TSA screeners arrived and the line began to move. Woody texted to say he’d arrived home and could not believe we were still waiting to go through security....he figured we’d be grabbing breakfast. Nope, no breakfast! We got to our gate....tired and hungry....just in time to line up for boarding.

View attachment 444394

Fun fact: The yellers were on our plane.

It’s a short flight from ATL to MCO and there’s not always beverage service. Em decided to doze rather than risk not getting her much-needed coffee. I tried closing my eyes to no avail.

Yeah, I may have to pass on a future 6 am flight.

Just before landing one of the attendants sang her alcoholic version of The Twelve Days of Christmas. (Honey, it’s 7 o’clock in the morning, you’re working in a plane full of families on their way to Disney World....is that really the best song choice?)

After disembarking we went straight to McDonald’s. Em said it was the best Egg McMuffin she’s ever had.

View attachment 444395

Fueled up, we boarded the fonorail. I noticed a new Magical Express directional sign before entering the atrium.

View attachment 444396

“Em, stand by the tree.”

View attachment 444397

Bring back Mickey and the Welcome to Walt Disney World wall! This is NOT an improvement!

View attachment 444398

And neither is the store refurbishment. :bored:

View attachment 444399

I always take the earliest non-stop flight from Nashville to Orlando. Want to get there as early as possible, but I am a morning person. They do really well with the security lines at BNA and I can usually get breakfast before boarding a SW plane.

This is getting me excited about my upcoming trip even more - by the way, I did add a solo night at the Contemporary to the end of my trip and that gets me two more days for Disney! YAY! Although, I have talked about solo, this will be my trial trip for maybe a repeat in October.

lindawdw

My DH and I have done many 6:00 am flights because the price seems to be too good to pass up. I tend not to sleep the night before a trip to WDW anyway so why not get down to our Happy Place as early as possible. We encountered the same experience with TSA for a 6:00 am flight also! Good move on grabbing breakfast at McDonald's before heading out to the monorail. :)

Cetta

I'm so excited for Part Tu...I am taking my mom in two weeks for a short two night trip. She hasn't been in about 18 years and this is our once in a lifetime girls trip! Hoping to get a couple tips from your trip...since you gals are pros! Thankfully we aren't doing an early morning flight but unfortunately our flight times have been changed and we won't land until 6pm :(

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom