Issue with RR single murphy beds

correcaminos

Original Poster
After the issue was reported, this was put on the single murphy beds at the resort

“We apologize for the inconvenience. This trundle bed is out of order and for your safety, it cannot be used at this time.

We want to ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible. If you have planned to use this bed, please contact the Front Desk so alternative arrangements can be provided.”

riviera-murphy-accident.jpeg

Lilofan

After the issue was reported, this was put on the single murphy beds at the resort

“We apologize for the inconvenience. This trundle bed is out of order and for your safety, it cannot be used at this time.

We want to ensure your stay is as comfortable as possible. If you have planned to use this bed, please contact the Front Desk so alternative arrangements can be provided.”

View attachment 434601
Call 911 to get your mom checked out. Disney picks up the 911 bill. You are not charged. Better safe than sorry. You better inform the manager to report the safety issue.

correcaminos

Original Poster
Call 911 to get your mom checked out. Disney picks up the 911 bill. You are not charged. Better safe than sorry. You better inform the manager to report the safety issue.
I'm not them, but not sure I'd call 911 unless necessary.

Disney obviously knows the issue or the warning wouldn't be on them now.

Club Cooloholic

That is just awful. Also, I'm sorry, but how the heck are they going to solve the issue? Many guests, I would assume. Are counting on that bed to accommodate a guest.

Club Cooloholic

I will say this. I wonder what the weight limits are, never seen them marked but have seen them marked on the Pullman on the cruise ships.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

That is just awful. Also, I'm sorry, but how the heck are they going to solve the issue? Many guests, I would assume. Are counting on that bed to accommodate a guest.

I'm guessing they'll upgrade them to other accommodations with more beds for a night or two.

In the meantime, reattaching all of the beds to studs using proper hardware (as should have been done in the first place) shouldn't take more than a couple of days, if they have a small team of people to do it. Hopefully that's the extent of the issue, and the rest of the built-ins and TVs weren't hung with the wrong hardware as well...

Club Cooloholic

I'm guessing they'll upgrade them to other accommodations with more beds for a night or two.

In the meantime, reattaching all of the beds to studs using proper hardware (as should have been done in the first place) shouldn't take more than a couple of days, if they have a small team of people to do it. Hopefully that's the extent of the issue, and the rest of the built-ins and TVs weren't hung with the wrong hardware as well...
Could be hard to do this time of year...hopefully fixed by xmas week

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
From that picture, it looks like the screws attaching it into the wall only went into the drywall. The pictures of the open bed I have seen show no additional support under the bed making these screws all that would keep the bed upright.

They are pretty much going to have to remove and reinstall every bed and/or add additional support.

It should be a "fun" month or two at RR

12-18-2019 9-51-29 AM.jpg
12-18-2019 9-53-05 AM.jpg

correcaminos

Original Poster
Depending on what the issue is (do they have supports behind the wall that we are not seeing etc) this will either be a quick fix or will take a while. I don't think anyone knows yet.

Personally I'd be fine with sleeping on a mattress on the floor, but they likely could maybe bring in rollaways if there isn't room to move them to another place. This time of year is super busy.

Club Cooloholic

Depending on what the issue is (do they have supports behind the wall that we are not seeing etc) this will either be a quick fix or will take a while. I don't think anyone knows yet.

Personally I'd be fine with sleeping on a mattress on the floor, but they likely could maybe bring in rollaways if there isn't room to move them to another place. This time of year is super busy.
As you mentioned before as well, they are going to have to make sure things like the TVs are mounted to studs as well. Depending on where the studs are, they may have to move around a few things a little and repair drywall as well.

Last edited:
As you mentioned before as well, they are going to have to make sure things like the TVs are mounted to studs as well. Depending on where the studs are, they may have to move around a few things a little and repair drywall as well.
Agreed... They need to check EVERYTHING.... Cutting corners is never a good idea.

lazyboy97o

This should probably be a case of ripping open the entire wall. Even if the appropriate backing is in the walls it was clearly compromised somehow by the improper installation.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
So curious? Who's buying DVC at RR?
(crickets....) :).
So they sold over 100,000 points last month, and the resort has been selling faster then Poly did during its first several months. Even with the bed fiasco, it’s very doubtful that will affect sales, as everyone knows that Disney will fix it, because they have no choice but to fix it.

Nunu

Wanderluster
Premium Member
BlogMickey has reported they are now telling guests not to use any of the Murphy beds.
I wonder about Tower Studios. A Murphy bed is the only sleeping option available in those.
I wouldn't be too happy with an inflatable bed or mattress on the floor.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Agreed... They need to check EVERYTHING.... Cutting corners is never a good idea.

Doubt seriously this is cutting corners. Most likely the sub contractor hired to install them did not do it correctly.

lazyboy97o

Doubt seriously this is cutting corners. Most likely the sub contractor hired to install them did not do it correctly.
The improper installation likely goes all the way to the construction of the wall itself. That’s a deeper problem than just the installation team that knew to use drywall anchors.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
The improper installation likely goes all the way to the construction of the wall itself. That’s a deeper problem than just the installation team that knew to use drywall anchors.
My guess is those should have gone into studs with bolts and most likely a reinforced wall. Over time that kind of weight and use is going to cause stress.

lazyboy97o

My guess is those should have gone into studs with bolts and most likely a reinforced wall. Over time that kind of weight and use is going to cause stress.
Blocking is what is typically used and it allows for something equivalent to screwing into studs but provides a larger area so you’re not trying to precisely place studs based on furniture which may not be fully designed. That seems to have not been provided. That they went with drywall anchors suggests they discovered the appropriate backing was not provided and just continued with a deficient means of attachment. That’s a problem bigger than just the furniture installation team even if they continued installation without notifying the general contractor.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom