Is Yacht/Beach Club twice as nice as POR?

BASS

I'll echo what most have said. Worth is subjective; ultimately, it's a financial consideration for you and your family. But, IMO, for this special occasion, if you can swing Yacht or Beach Club, it's far better than Port Orleans. I've stayed at both and would stay at both in the future. But I prefer Beach/Yacht Club, particularly because of the ease of access to Epcot. I personally find transportation to the park the most frustrating and annoying part of a Disney vacation. Not having to hit a bus to go to 1 of the parks is worth the extra money for me.

You also have immediate access to the Boardwalk which has some really good restaurants. My family enjoys Bluezoo and Flying Fish and not having to hop in a car to go to either is another perk of staying in the Boardwalk area.

BoarderPhreak

For us it's no contest - Beach Club is worth double Port Orleans. Frankly, we'd rather stay offsite than at a Moderate or Value but that's just us....

Here's why....
1. Port Orleans is, from our vantage point, a glorified motel. Yes it's cute and the rooms look nice but your still dealing with motel-style accommodations with outdoor entrances, long walks between buildings (in the heat outside), and on and on.
2. Did I mention the extremely long walks? Depending on where they put you, you could be a LONG ways from the main feature pool, restaurant, etc.
3. We really don't enjoy the WDW bus system and want to avoid it as much as possible.

On the other hand, at YC/BC:
1. Gorgeous hotel-style accommodations with air conditioned corridors linking everything together.
2. The (fabulous) pool and restaurants are never far away, and plenty more restaurants within an easy walk (Boardwalk, Epcot restaurants, etc.)
3. Far less time spent on (and waiting for) the bus.

I've waited 45 minutes for a bus before at park closing, and when faced with that I'd rather drive to the Hyatt Regency Grand Cypress or similar hotel which is typically available for the price of a moderate.... When we can get a value for under $100/night we sometimes will consider that (and drive everywhere ourselves...)
lolwhut 🤷‍♂️

Hockey89

Based on location alone, I would agree if the price was the same. But other than for peak holiday season when we were just there (but usually are not), it wouldn't be worth the difference in cost to get that location.
Once again, I couldn't disagree more... I would pay that all day long and don't consider POR to be much...

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
True, since I'm not going this year I wasn't thinking about availability too much, but Beach Club is very hard to get, sometimes even at the 11-month window, for November because of the F&W festival.

And add to that the W&D Half Marathon the 1st weekend in November. Lots of runners stay in the Boardwalk resorts.

durangojim

I don't care for PORS because of its size. I much prefer POFQ. That being said we love to be able to walk to EPCOT/DHS from the Yacht or Beach, so yes, I think it's worth double.

DisneyJill

like everyone else has said, "worth" is subjective because what i think is worth it may not be what you think is worth it. that said, if this is a once in a lifetime trip and beach club is an option, i don't believe there to be a better resort on property. being able to walk into epcot can't be beat, and between YC, BC, swan, dolphin, boardwalk and world showcase, there is more dining options within walking distance than you can even imagine. and stormalong bay is unbelievable.

all that said, my family also really enjoys POR. the grounds are beautiful and it is large, but it's perfect to stroll around if you're into that. we prefer the bayou to the mansion rooms, but that may not be popular opinion. :)

the real question is: how much time will you be at the resort? if you're taking a couple of true resort days, then my recommendation would be to splurge on beach club. if you're going to be in parks most of the time and only eat a meal or two at the resort, then i would not spend the money to upgrade. but ultimately, i don't think you'll be disappointed with either choice.

Skibum1970

In my opinion, I would rather stay at PORS and save the money. For me to stay at a deluxe, I have to have a pretty good discount available (ex. Wilderness Lodge at $350/night). Otherwise, I really start grumbling at having spent the extra amount (ex. $1,400 for seven nights if the cost is twice as much). As someone else mentioned, I used Dave's DVC to rent at OKW and paid around $175/night. Huge resort, yes, but very quiet and enjoyable. However, it sometimes comes down to just doing something for the sake of doing it and planning ahead.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom