Is Yacht/Beach Club twice as nice as POR?

Weather_Lady

I wouldn't say it's worth it at rack rate, but that's subjective. The transportation will be more convenient (or at least, you'll have an added option or two for getting to the closest parks), there will be a lounge or two, and room furnishings or TS restaurants might be a little nicer, but that's about it.

If you can rent DVC points and stay in a studio, it can definitely be worth it to spend a little more on a deluxe (although since you mentioned the Beach Club, I'd mention that the Beach Club studios in particular are a poorly laid-out, tight squeeze if you need to fold down both of the auxiliary sleeping spaces, meaning the sofa AND the Murphy bed, and the CS options there are dismal, worse than any moderate and probably worse than any value). We stayed at the Beach Club in a studio (rented points from David's Vacation rentals at 11 months out and paid the extra premium for doing so.) Even with the premium and taxes/fees, we paid only $250/night, which was 40% off of the rack rate for the room, and only slightly more than rack rates at the moderates at that time.

OneofThree

lastly, I haven't tried the qs at the BC lately but the last time I did the sandwiches where not worth what we paid.

I tried the Marketplace @ YC -once. It was very limited, very overpriced, and the only breakdown in otherwise excellent service we've received at either YC or BC. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice. . . Never again.

correcaminos

True, since I'm not going this year I wasn't thinking about availability too much, but Beach Club is very hard to get, sometimes even at the 11-month window, for November because of the F&W festival.

Possibly even more so later in November too with the thought that SWL will be open as well. Right now from the 10th on is okay but I don't expect that to last.

wdwfan22

Yacht/Beach Club is much more enjoyable then Port Orleans. The decor, convenience and pool alone make it worth the price. Warning though once you move up to a Deluxe it's very difficult to move back down to a moderate.

wdwfan22

I tried the Marketplace @ YC -once. It was very limited, very overpriced, and the only breakdown in otherwise excellent service we've received at either YC or BC. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice. . . Never again.
I disagree. The marketplace is priced as other Disney quick service locations. I found the food quality and offerings to be on par with the other quick service locations.

wdwfan22

Really, the only explanation for this post is that you've never been to Riverside Mill or Sassagoula, which is particularly relevant to this thread.

It's on par with other Deluxe level quick service locations. The moderates of course are going to offer more at the quick service locations as most Deluxe Resort Guests dine in the restaurants.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
It's on par with other Deluxe level quick service locations. The moderates of course are going to offer more at the quick service locations as most Deluxe Resort Guests dine in the restaurants.

Doubtful, the majority of those guests are in the parks with everyone else. I'm sure the restaurants are busy, but it's probably not a majority of deluxe resort guests dining at the resort.

correcaminos

I disagree. The marketplace is priced as other Disney quick service locations. I found the food quality and offerings to be on par with the other quick service locations.
It's a little higher in some cases, but I find the food to be better at the new Ale and Compass. Other QS menus and quality are on par with what I find elsewhere at resorts.

wdwfan22

It's a little higher in some cases, but I find the food to be better at the new Ale and Compass. Other QS menus and quality are on par with what I find elsewhere at resorts.

I love the new Ale & Compass. Great food. We started the day with breakfast there.

wdwfan22

Doubtful, the majority of those guests are in the parks with everyone else. I'm sure the restaurants are busy, but it's probably not a majority of deluxe resort guests dining at the resort.

We will have to agree to disagree. Deluxe resorts have never had large quick service locations as Guests tend to utilize the table service locations more. If that wasn't the case then Disney would have larger quick service locations in those resorts.

OneofThree

Personally, I would not at all put it on par with locations such as Contempo Cafe, The Mara, or even Captain Cook's for that matter.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
We will have to agree to disagree. Deluxe resorts have never had large quick service locations as Guests tend to utilize the table service locations more. If that wasn't the case then Disney would have larger quick service locations in those resorts.

You do realize that these restaurants aren't very large, and even if all of the available slots are booked and all of the people staying in a resort leave the parks to go to their resort for dinner there still may not be enough tables to accommodate the majority of guests staying at that resort for dinner service, right? It's simple math.

PplMover

We are planning a trip in mid November 2019 for my daughter's 21st BD. On our few previous trips to WDW over the years, we have only stayed at moderates, specifically CBR. We want to try POR but have always dreamed of staying at a Deluxe, especially with the Christmas decorations up. Given that, are the deluxe resorts, looking at Yacht or Beach Club, worth paying twice as much? This would be a once in a lifetime trip, but would like some advice from some of the experts out there.
Yes and if she’s turning 21 it’s twice as nice as anywhere else
You have a walk to two of the parks- boardwalk for entertainment at night. It’s a perfect spot

JillC LI

We are planning a trip in mid November 2019 for my daughter's 21st BD. On our few previous trips to WDW over the years, we have only stayed at moderates, specifically CBR. We want to try POR but have always dreamed of staying at a Deluxe, especially with the Christmas decorations up. Given that, are the deluxe resorts, looking at Yacht or Beach Club, worth paying twice as much? This would be a once in a lifetime trip, but would like some advice from some of the experts out there.
Having just gotten back from our 8th WDW trip but our first at a Deluxe (because we were celebrating my 50th birthday), I can share my experience and say it depends.
We stayed at the Boardwalk Inn. It was lovely. It didn't make one iota of difference to me that the rooms were accessible from an indoor hallway rather than the outdoors. Does that matter to you?
We were in the parks all day and didn't spend one second relaxing at the resort so the fancy pool and other amenities didn't matter to me. Do they matter to you?
We didn't care about what types of restaurants were accessible in our hotel because we had a rental car. Does that matter to you?
The main reason why we chose that hotel was because we would be travelling during peak season at xmas time and wanted to be walking distance to Epcot and DHS. For that, it was worth the added expense to us, plus it was fun to try a deluxe hotel for once on my birthday trip. That said, would I ever stay at a deluxe again? Probably not - it wasn't worth the cost differential to us. But if the factors I listed above matter to you, it might be worth it to you.
PS - We love POR.

Last edited:

JillC LI

Yacht/Beach Club is much more enjoyable then Port Orleans. The decor, convenience and pool alone make it worth the price. Warning though once you move up to a Deluxe it's very difficult to move back down to a moderate.
I would have to disagree. See my post above.

Dave B

I love both resorts, we have found with the kids getting older, space is valuable, might be worth 2 connecting rooms at POR

Hockey89

Having just got back from our 8th WDW trip but our first at a Deluxe (because we were celebrating my 50th birthday), I can share my experience and say it depends.
We stayed at the Boardwalk Inn. It was lovely. It didn't make one iota of difference to me that the rooms were accessible from an indoor hallway rather than the outdoors. Does that matter to you?
We were in the parks all day and didn't spend one second relaxing at the resort so the fancy pool and other amenities didn't matter to me. Do they matter to you?
We didn't care about what types of restaurants were accessible in our hotel because we had a rental car. Does that matter to you?
The main reason why we chose that hotel was because we would be travelling during peak season at xmas time and wanted to be walking distance to Epcot and DHS. For that, it was worth the added expense to us, plus it was fun to try a deluxe hotel for once on my birthday trip. That said, would I ever stay at a deluxe again? Probably not - it wasn't worth the cost differential to us. But if the factors I listed above matter to you, it might be worth it to you.
PS - We love POR.
Entitled to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more. I would never stay at POR when I can stay at YC/BC/Board walk...

Notes from Neverland

As the saying goes: Location, location, location.
If you value your travel time and don't want to wait for buses, then the price for Yacht & Beach is easy to justify. It's great being able to walk to two theme parks both at opening, closing and if you need a midday break. The rooms and resorts are very nice, but for us it's the location.

JillC LI

Entitled to your opinion but I couldn't disagree more. I would never stay at POR when I can stay at YC/BC/Board walk...
Based on location alone, I would agree if the price was the same. But other than for peak holiday season when we were just there (but usually are not), it wouldn't be worth the difference in cost to get that location.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom