Is Yacht/Beach Club twice as nice as POR?

Glen B

Original Poster
We are planning a trip in mid November 2019 for my daughter's 21st BD. On our few previous trips to WDW over the years, we have only stayed at moderates, specifically CBR. We want to try POR but have always dreamed of staying at a Deluxe, especially with the Christmas decorations up. Given that, are the deluxe resorts, looking at Yacht or Beach Club, worth paying twice as much? This would be a once in a lifetime trip, but would like some advice from some of the experts out there.

OneofThree

There is probably less of a difference between POR and YC/BC than any other Moderate/Deluxe comparison. For me, POR's aesthetic blows away either of the others. Another consideration is that QS is sorely lacking at YC/BC while quite solid at POR. Worth it? Depends. If you're going to go 4 to a room, you might appreciate the extra space the deluxe accommodations offer. If you plan on swimming, access to SAB is also a perk to consider.

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
I like the grounds better at POR/FQ. Public areas better at BC when you throw in YC and Boardwalk in general. The walking aspect I think is what does it. Also, I think the parking spots are better - that's why those cost more at BC than they do at POR.

Think Tink

Premium Member
In the Parks
No
Personally YC is my favorite resort property. The location is what does it for us. While it’s true there isn’t a perfect QS, they do have sandwiches at both and the boardwalk has options as well. I love the Boardwalk Pizza Window! So it really depends on how you see “worth it”.

SeaCastle

The Beach Club was long my favorite hotel and would be my first or second choice WDW hotel to stay at, but I would never say it's worth what it costs in a dollar-for-dollar sense. But you won't be disappointed staying there. The pool is incredible and you can probably still make good use out of it in November. It's not a deal by any means but it is a phenomenal place to stay to get the most out your WDW experience.

Besides the bigger rooms and nice grounds, the benefit to staying at a deluxe is access. You're paying hundreds of dollars a day for park tickets; being able to be in and out of the parks in 5 minutes instead of 40 each way really adds up. If you plan on being at MGM or Epcot a lot you get a lot of your trip back by being so close to the parks and not having to be on a bus everywhere. Whether or not that makes it worth it is in the eye of the beholder.

The Pho

Yacht and Beach are two of my favorites. Really anywhere on the Boardwalk is the best hotel because it is Disney’s best location. Port Orleans is the last resort hotel for us. The grounds are great but it’s very much out of the way and you’ll spend a lot more time waiting for transportation. And if it’s a 21st birthday, being able to walk back to the hotel from Epcot or go to the bars on the Boardwalk add a lot to a trip.

Jon81uk

While I'm sure there are some who do it, staying at YC/BC without holding park tickets valid during that stay defies any logic that I might understand.

You may have gone to Hollywood Studios and don't have park-hoppers, so no entry to Epcot. Or you are vactioning for seven days, but bought five days of tickets so you can have a pool day etc.

Plenty of reasons why some guests will have park tickets, but not be able to get into Epcot just to eat.

chrisbarry

In my opinion, Riverside is the nicest Moderate and in some instances I'd rather stay there than some Deluxes...but not the Yacht Club. Totally worth the upgrade for the room size, balcony, walk to Epcot, Stormalong Bay and access to the BoardWalk.

correcaminos

Eh. If you want QS in YC/BC, a five-ten minute walk to Epcot is in order.

The new QS at Yacht Club is pretty good. BC is awful I will admit. People often forget that Swan and Dolphin have food options there too. The Fountain is better than B&C. Picabu at the Dolphin is an excellent option. So no need for Epcot even.

Do I think Y&BC is better than POR? Definitely! Twice as much? Not so sure... but I wouldn't hesitate to stay there for a special birthday.

correcaminos

Consider renting points for a stay at the DVC at Beach Club. The first full week at November would cost just under 2 grand if you rented points via David's (assuming availability).
Only issue is as much as I love my DVC, there is a pull out vs a bed and that can make a difference for some.

If doing mid-November, time to book up is ticking. First part of November is booking up fast!

slappy magoo

Only issue is as much as I love my DVC, there is a pull out vs a bed and that can make a difference for some.

If doing mid-November, time to book up is ticking. First part of November is booking up fast!
True, since I'm not going this year I wasn't thinking about availability too much, but Beach Club is very hard to get, sometimes even at the 11-month window, for November because of the F&W festival.

eliza61nyc

There is probably less of a difference between POR and YC/BC than any other Moderate/Deluxe comparison. For me, POR's aesthetic blows away either of the others. Another consideration is that QS is sorely lacking at YC/BC while quite solid at POR. Worth it? Depends. If you're going to go 4 to a room, you might appreciate the extra space the deluxe accommodations offer. If you plan on swimming, access to SAB is also a perk to consider.

This is an example of how "worth" is so subjective. I think the absence of food courts and big QS a very big pro for my family and is one of the reasons why we like Deluxes.

I love the BC/YC resorts. BC is my home resort, which I love and you can't beat the location.

I'll reiterate what has been said before. these resorts whether renting dvc points or rooms from Disney are extremely popular in November. You can't sleep on it, if you want one.

OneofThree

While I'm sure there are some who do it, staying at YC/BC without holding park tickets valid during that stay defies any logic that I might understand.

This is sort of what I was thinking myself:

You may have gone to Hollywood Studios and don't have park-hoppers, so no entry to Epcot. Or you are vactioning for seven days, but bought five days of tickets so you can have a pool day etc.

Plenty of reasons why some guests will have park tickets, but not be able to get into Epcot just to eat.

I think the absence of food courts and big QS a very big pro for my family and is one of the reasons why we like Deluxes.

Curious as to how the absence of the QS is beneficial for you. What I find at Disney, is that breakfast is lacking, or incredibly overpriced (even by Disney standards). With 5 kids, I appreciate the ability to have variety available and to be able to eat and get to the parks fairly quick. I've stayed YC/BC several times. I didn't like having to walk a mile to get to food that didn't involve the TS's.

eliza61nyc

This is sort of what I was thinking myself:

Curious as to how the absence of the QS is beneficial for you. What I find at Disney, is that breakfast is lacking, or incredibly overpriced (even by Disney standards). With 5 kids, I appreciate the ability to have variety available and to be able to eat and get to the parks fairly quick. I've stayed YC/BC several times. I didn't like having to walk a mile to get to food that didn't involve the TS's.

Wow, I can see your point. I think it's really just a matter of personal preference, So we are probably best described as the "slowinsky's". lol we don't do quick. I really think it's because in our real lives our poor kids when they were young, always had to get up at 5:30 am to get somewhere before school and as they grew, with sports etc we were always rushing from one place to another. The proverbial over scheduled schedule. So on vacation, in our rooms you could get killed if you mentioned getting up to be at the parks at rope drop. ;)
My kids grew loving TS.

You are right about breakfast but when the kids where small we tended to do character breakfast and then after that we had our dvc so we had a full kitchen. I hate food courts, pretty much every where, at the mall, at hotels, etc. It's really is one of the reasons why we did values one time and said never ever again. I find them crowded and loud, so if we have to chose between a resort with one and resort without one, we will most likely go with the one without.

Now that I have young adults and we always have a car, we have breakfast offsite. We find it very very easy and convenient to get to Denny's, shoneys or Ihop right outside of Disney springs to get a relatively inexpensive, hot good breakfast.

lastly, I haven't tried the qs at the BC lately but the last time I did the sandwiches where not worth what we paid. Now we will simply walk over to France for a quick bite if we don't want to do TS..

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom