Is WDW's 50th Anniversary a Flop

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Light parade probably costs a heck of a lot more than projections on the castle and we all know Bob is about the bottom line $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ keep stockholders happy
No dedication to the fans at all. All this love that came from us and nothing in return. Our visits, social media and recommendations as a whole helped build this place without us all fans and reoccurring visitors there is no Disney World as we know it. If I had the money I’d buy Disney licensing and build 2 fan made parks and teach them a lesson. Epcot and Magic Kingdom. I’d probably acquire allot of former and current imagineers to who also went there to build a dream that has been destroyed. I’d call the whole resort Walt Disney’s kingdom based on his vision and only Improve them.

John park hopper

No dedication to the fans at all. All this love that came from us and nothing in return. Our visits, social media and recommendations as a whole helped build this place without us all fans and reoccurring visitors there is no Disney World as we know it. If I had the money I’d buy Disney licensing and build 2 fan made parks and teach them a lesson. Epcot and Magic Kingdom. I’d probably acquire allot of former and current imagineers to who also went there to build a dream that has been destroyed. I’d call the whole resort Walt Disney’s kingdom based on his vision and only Improve them.
Start a go fund me I'd be the first to donate

Disney4family

Shows simplified, I noticed hours cut back for the holidays, Local bands at EPCOT without name bands, weaker menus, longer parking walks, longer standby lines without fastpass unless we pay extra- not much to be excited about or desire to resume frequent visits yet.
The only positive from the EPCOT local bands was finding The M-80s (of The Hooligans). They're so much fun. I wish they were playing when we were there this summer. We missed them by a week.
Hopefully someone will be streaming them this weekend.

LeighM

I wonder what percentage of 50th guests ever went to any previous anniversary events
I was accidentally there for MK's 45th anniversary. I didn't even think about it being the anniversary when I planned the trip. Huge crowds hoping Disney was going to do something special and all they got were special event buttons like they give out for first visits, etc. There was so much complaining. Because of what I witnessed that day, I knew there was no way in heck I would ever be there the day of the 50th!

Giss Neric

Since the celebration is 18 months I wouldn't necessarily call it a flop. If we only focus on the opening ceremony on October 1st, yes it is a flop. If we focus on Magic Kingdom, yes it is a flop. EPCOT is not a flop at all but actually a success. Why? cause I would rather reserve my days in EPCOT now than Magic Kingdom. I would rather watch Harmonious than Enchantment.

CntrlFlPete

Considering the last anniversary event was in 1996/97, I'd say not that many.

Maybe if you count 2005/06, although that wasn't specifically WDW's anniversary.

On 10/1/2011 they had some parade celebrating 15 years of something or other, someone spoke (I think it was Meg)...in Frontier Land, long lines snaked out of the pin store all day, at rope drop, folks grabbed everything and anything right off the racks that were used to stock items at the Emporium.

Anyway, that was more recent than what you are mentioning.

EDIT, oh, was the 50th a flop -- who knows, it last for 18 months and it just started, but I guess it depends on what side you look at it from. The way I have seen merchandize move from the shops, I would imagine it has been profitable so I can't imagine it is a flop.

graphite1326

We went to the 25th. It was our first trip and really didn't know anything about WDW. Other than the cake castle we didn't see anything special going on.

doctornick

i really don’t care much about the anniversaries and really feel their main value is in adding stuff to the resorts that will enhance them long term. So I’m happy to see the Beacons of Magic, the Monorail lights and even the Main St projections added for DE. I do wish there were more though and at least some additional rides.

That said, I feel bad for the people who do actually care about this stuff as Oct 1 seemed like a terrible flop.

Disone

Original Poster
We went to the 25th. It was our first trip and really didn't know anything about WDW. Other than the cake castle we didn't see anything special going on.
And the first year ever MK fireworks were nightly year around and an all new Remember the Magic parade at MK. And a new Illuminations ( they changed it again few months later.)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom