Is this possible?

Babylon Control

Original Poster
I'm just getting back into running after getting injured (3 stress fractures in both shins last year) during a 5K run last fall. I've registered for a 5K later this summer and have started training for it this past week. Am I crazy to think that I would be ready to run the Disney 1/2 marathon in 2012? I plan on running 2-3 times a week and cross training by doing laps in the pool. Is 2012 too soon? :shrug:

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
No, it's not impossible. A lot of bones will actually heal themselves so they are stronger after they heal.

Just take it one run at a time and listen to your body. Don't be afraid to push, but remember - pain in usually bad...recognizing burn vs pain is vital.

Phonedave

I'm just getting back into running after getting injured (3 stress fractures in both shins last year) during a 5K run last fall. I've registered for a 5K later this summer and have started training for it this past week. Am I crazy to think that I would be ready to run the Disney 1/2 marathon in 2012? I plan on running 2-3 times a week and cross training by doing laps in the pool. Is 2012 too soon? :shrug:

You should be fine. Just, as was said, pay attention to your body.

Learn what are things you should push though - muscle fatigue, tiredness, etc. and what are things you should stop running and let heal - strains, pulls, etc.

good luck

-dave

dreamfinder

Should you be able to complete the 1/2 marathon? Yeah, most likely. Should you? That is up to you and your doctor/physical therapist. Walking or walk/run the 1/2 should be possible, perhaps even jogging the whole course. Depends on how you heal and your training. Don't push it though.

Babylon Control

Original Poster
Well did my first bit of running yesterday in my new shoes and other than some muscle fatigue in my thighs today, my shins, which sustained the stress fractures last fall, feel perfectly fine. I'm following my doctor's orders. He told me not to run until I felt no pain in my shins at all and it's now been 4.5 months since I had the cast taken off for good (I had a removable walking cast). In that time I was swimming laps at my local Y. I was also instructed to do my running on a treadmill so that's my training plan. I managed a 30 minute work out on Sunday that was a combination of running and walking and my running was in intervals of 5 minutes with a total running time of 15 minutes. I didn't have any pain at all in my shins the entire time.

lukacseven

Just curious what kind of shoes you're running in???

I known people who've had stress fractures (myself included) and returned to running a half marathon within 9 months. I was told my running shoes (and some poor advice regarding them) were the main contributor to the stress fractures.

2 years later, new shoes and modified running form and I'm finishing about 40-45 minutes faster for a half marathon distance than before the stress fractures.

Babylon Control

Original Poster
Just curious what kind of shoes you're running in???

I known people who've had stress fractures (myself included) and returned to running a half marathon within 9 months. I was told my running shoes (and some poor advice regarding them) were the main contributor to the stress fractures.

2 years later, new shoes and modified running form and I'm finishing about 40-45 minutes faster for a half marathon distance than before the stress fractures.

It was definitely the shoes that were the issue. When I did my running clinic last year, I knew I needed motion control shoes as I'm flat footed and my feet roll in but the store I did the clinic at didn't carry the brand of shoe I wear in the motion control, only the stability shoe, which is the next level down. The store manager had me try some motion control shoes in different brands, none of which were right for me so she insisted the stability shoe was the right shoe.

While I was recovering from my injury I did some searching and found out that the makers of the shoe I wear actually have a store of their own where I live so I contacted them and told them what happened. They told me that I was indeed wearing the wrong shoe. I went to the store last week and got a new pair of running shoes that are motion control so now my foot doesn't roll in when I walk/run. Turns out, not only was I in the wrong shoe, but it was the wrong size as well. My shoes were too big so my foot was sliding around in the shoe.

I've run in my new shoes twice now and haven't had a single issue with my legs, other than feeling it in my muscles a little bit when I start and then feeling it in my thighs afterwards. My goal for this year is a 5K in September, which I hope to run in its entirety as I want to be running a farther distance than that by the time it comes around.

Btw, I'm wearing New Balance shoes.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom