Is there any point in "Epcot" anymore?

Prototype82

Original Poster
Disney seems to feel no need to make it a unique place anymore. Since this is a general discussion post, I do hope it's okay that I post something so broad. Is there any hope for France NOT becoming the Ratatouille pavilion? Could Fitzgerald realistically push the higher-ups to build a 3D sensory adventure attraction in the UK Pavilion? Will Universe of Comedy ever have a bold new replacement full of brand new knowledge, information, and state-of-the-art special effects? The company's business model seems to feel that E.P.C.O.T. can never be relevant to the interests of real people. This if of course is absurd, yet true.

Should I just give up at this point and stop caring? Dare I say, "Let it go?"

tigger1968

I think that the park is a troubled one. I think the park has really been neglected, and the efforts to improve things there haven't worked. Granted...I love the park so I get kind of curmudgeonly about things there... :rolleyes:

I don't agree with the Maelstrom/Frozen remake. I am still furious about the live entertainment being summarily dismissed in an effort to save money. I couldn't tell you the last time I went into Innoventions. And the entire Imagination pavilion, or what's left there, is a joke. Heck, I'm still ticked about the losing the WoL pavilion and them taking out the Jeremy Irons narration in SE.

Anyhoo, it was mentioned at one point that the park makes money hand over fist with F&W and F&G and such. So I get the notion that TDO isn't too hell bent on really classing up the place a whole lot.

But back to the title of this thread that you put up.....

Yes. Still.

PhilharMagician

Don't worry too much. Epcot is not alone in this since DHS is in the process of losing it's remaining identity as a movie studio. Actually it already has with the exception of it's name.

kels650

EPCOT is one of my favorite places to shop. Whatever changes they make to the world showcase I hope they continue to keep the shops full of unique items from the countries they are showcasing. I just got a beautiful hand painted mask from Venice, Italy.
Otherwise, I think EPCOT would benefit from an overhaul and update to the attractions to make the technology and information relevant.

EPCOT is one of my favorite places to shop. Whatever changes they make to the world showcase I hope they continue to keep the shops full of unique items from the countries they are showcasing. I just got a beautiful hand painted mask from Venice, Italy.
Otherwise, I think EPCOT would benefit from an overhaul and update to the attractions to make the technology and information relevant.
I definitely agree with this. World Showcase continues to be one of the best places to shop between the 4 parks. I got some amazing jewelry last time I was there. But yes, the park definitely needs some help.

kvillegas

EPCOT's vision isn't going to go anywhere. Current leadership needs to be gently reminded that they are stewards of Walt's vision for EPCOT.

Bairstow

EPCOT's vision isn't going to go anywhere. Current leadership needs to be gently reminded that they are stewards of Walt's vision for EPCOT.

Not to be negative, but yes, I think EPCOT, a park concept, is on its way out.
If the allure of edutainment ever was a viable draw for American theme park consumers, it isn't anymore.
The World Showcase, as a general "world tour" theme will probably persist for a long time to come, simply because the array of culturally-diverse restaurants and bar offerings continue to be a money-maker for Disney, especially during the festival seasons. Future World, however, was always dependent on corporate sponsorship to finance its grandiose NASA-worshipping visions of tomorrow, and given the difficulty of maintaining an array plausible forward-looking predictive attractions, expect a slow and painful conversion to more conventional character-based rides and shows as time goes by.

FrostyNaples

Disney seems to feel no need to make it a unique place anymore. Since this is a general discussion post, I do hope it's okay that I post something so broad. Is there any hope for France NOT becoming the Ratatouille pavilion? Could Fitzgerald realistically push the higher-ups to build a 3D sensory adventure attraction in the UK Pavilion? Will Universe of Comedy ever have a bold new replacement full of brand new knowledge, information, and state-of-the-art special effects? The company's business model seems to feel that E.P.C.O.T. can never be relevant to the interests of real people. This if of course is absurd, yet true.

I have a great time @ EPCOT every time we go. Not sure what all the fuss is about, everyone is a Negative Nancy with all the changes.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
The challenge with EPCOT is in order to stay with the intended idea it must get some major new attractions that are very technologically advanced (or at least feel that way). Since technology is changing at a very rapid rate now, this is a bigger challenge than many of us really realize.

Sadly, this was the reason why Test Track was changed. I spoke with the WDI team about TT 2.0 and the whole reason was to feel more futuristic, like the VIrtual Reality side of its former self. While I understand the idea, I think many of us would likely agree VR was "cool" 20 years ago... And so the change made the ride almost feels more dated now then it did before.

But they must do something to make this park a hit again, and yes it could be done, but the question is how? I don't know if realistically the Technology push is the way to go anymore although I would prefer the parks remained as true to the vision originally conceived by Walt Disney. This is the same dilemma faced at Tomorrowland but on a much bigger scale... Future World (what Walt called EPCOT - remember EPCOT is technically two different parks that were made one) will require real imagination and less bean counting and who knows if that can happen...

tigger1968

I have to mention that the version of Epcot that was built has little relevance to the actual vision Walt had. Walt wanted something closer to Celebration. The park was basically a compromise between the two ideas Imagineering was designing, neither of which was what Walt envisioned.

Having said that...I DO want Epcot to move back towards what I feel like it's original concept was...a showcase for technology and education married to a World's Fair type atmosphere.

Bairstow

I have to mention that the version of Epcot that was built has little relevance to the actual vision Walt had. Walt wanted something closer to Celebration. The park was basically a compromise between the two ideas Imagineering was designing, neither of which was what Walt envisioned.

Having said that...I DO want Epcot to move back towards what I feel like it's original concept was...a showcase for technology and education married to a World's Fair type atmosphere.

You're right in with the World's Fair model, but the problem is that sort of thing stops working when the sponsors pull out.

Prototype82

Original Poster
while epcot isnt the same EPCOT i still enjoy eating and drinking around the world..
in fact, going to F &W for 2nd time this weekend even after slicing my toe open monday night and going to the ER for several stitches.:):cool:
That sounds unpleasant! Hope you're feeling much better. I suppose my point is: Eating and drinking around the world is still truly truly fun!!!! ...But it's starting to look like it's the only attraction that the higher-ups want the park to have.

Prototype82

Original Poster
The challenge with EPCOT is in order to stay with the intended idea it must get some major new attractions that are very technologically advanced (or at least feel that way). Since technology is changing at a very rapid rate now, this is a bigger challenge than many of us really realize.

Sadly, this was the reason why Test Track was changed. I spoke with the WDI team about TT 2.0 and the whole reason was to feel more futuristic, like the VIrtual Reality side of its former self. While I understand the idea, I think many of us would likely agree VR was "cool" 20 years ago... And so the change made the ride almost feels more dated now then it did before.

But they must do something to make this park a hit again, and yes it could be done, but the question is how? I don't know if realistically the Technology push is the way to go anymore although I would prefer the parks remained as true to the vision originally conceived by Walt Disney. This is the same dilemma faced at Tomorrowland but on a much bigger scale... Future World (what Walt called EPCOT - remember EPCOT is technically two different parks that were made one) will require real imagination and less bean counting and who knows if that can happen...

I have mixed feelings on TT 2.0. I felt that the original was so conceptually perfect, yet the overhaul feels like a significant reminder of what FW is about. It and Project Tomorrow are the few "newer" things that reinforce Future World as a concept.

I feel like it'd be almost too easy to make Epcot a hit again. What made Wizarding World a hit? Immersiveness. Instead of doing a multitude of inexpensive ride makeovers, let's knock out the back wall in Japan and make that drawbridge lead to a Modern Japanese city scape. Let's make it neon, let's have crazy bizarre restaurants and shopping, and let's build just one ride and see how people react to it. Market the heck out of it. Let's have engaging actors and entertainment. Only one ground breaking ride to start out with. Something with thrills, amazing technology, and relevance. I'd love them to pick one target on the map and make it explode with immersiveness and new entertainment using only their imaginations and cultural reference from a country without a character in sight.

Goofyernmost

I have "let it go" a long time ago. The day that the name changed from EPCOT Center to Epcot the original mission completely changed. They have still made an attempt to maintain a lot of the early theme, but, with the name change all bets were off. It then could be whatever they wanted it to be. With the exception of the focus, which couldn't be maintained anyway, they have at least stayed within recognizable sight of the old system, but, we must all remember fondly what EPCOT was and accept that it is no more.

That thought never fails to bother me. Walt's vision for EPCOT died at exactly the same time that he did. Basically they used and have continued to use the name as a tribute to him. If they were stewards of Walt's vision we would be looking at a decaying city instead of a decaying theme park.

ParksAndPixels

In the Parks
Yes
Walt's vision was for growth and change "Disney[land] will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

If He were still here today, he would likely be the biggest advocate for new attractions. And as it has been referenced in several topics, I have heard many times from those on the inside the Imagineers in Orlando don't really have a say anymore. It's all dictated from CA, FL is considered a small "field office" as far as WDI is concerned. This might explain why they don't know what to really do with EPCOT.

tigger1968

You're right in with the World's Fair model, but the problem is that sort of thing stops working when the sponsors pull out.

Spot on. And that's something that I really wish could be rectified somehow. I was actually surprised that Siemens jumped into the mix as a sponsor. I am guessing that if Norway was still a sponsored venue there's no way Frozen would be getting shoved into there.

This brings up an interesting question...what countries and attractions are currently sponsored? I haven't a clue.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom