Is the Wizarding World coming to an end?

MagicKingdom4Ever

Original Poster
I usually stay on the Imagineering forums, but this thread idea wouldn't fit there.

The reason why I ask this question is because it frightens me. According to what I've read on wiki, Warner Bros. don't have any active intentions to develop any more Wizarding World movies. I don't know if this is true or not, but this could mean that they might discontinue the franchise. Perhaps it's because of the mediocre critical and financial performance of the most recent Fantastic Beasts film (which is understandable considering that it was kind of weak when compared to the previous films), or maybe it's a declining popularity in the series. I'm just worried that it would eventually lose popularity and not be the special thing it is anymore.

This franchise has a special place in my heart. At first, I disliked it and pushed it away, but once my younger sister got into it, I kind of got pulled in. It brought us close together to have something to be interested in so much. Reading the books helped me get through the challenge that was ninth grade and early tenth grade, and the movies were a thing to have a marathon with. In fact, we're going to have a marathon with them over the Christmas season, just like we did two years ago. My dear sister, kind and loving, helped me get into this series and made me a Potterhead (someone into Harry Potter for those of you who don't know fandoms). Now, it's become a big part of my life.

However, it's been troubling me these last few years what with changes in the franchise, especially that with the Fantastic Beasts films. In my opinion, the third film felt more like fanfiction of the franchise rather than an actual installment, and although it had an interesting concept, it lacked tone and emotional weight and really felt like random characters in a random story. Although Mads Mikkelsen was a good actor, his portrayal of Grindelwald lacked the eco-terrorist feels that Johnny Depp had. It was like comparing Osama bin Laden to Vladimir Putin. Aside from this stirup and the stress of waiting longer than I bargained for due to a change in actors, my sister switched from Hufflepuff to Ravenclaw, which hurt me because she was once so devoted to that house, and it didn't fit her well, and it made me feel like she was renouncing that part of us that enjoyed the series together. I'm hoping she'd go back to where she was before, but I've lost hope after getting a Ravenclaw shirt when we went to WB Studios London instead of a stuffed badger like she wanted (she regrets not getting the badger now.) Plus, as my interest in the series has grown, hers has shrunken, so there's that. It makes me sad that this has happened to the two of us.

With my personal connection to this magic world crumbling, the idea of the franchise crumbling too is scaring me. I worry that it might be gone forever someday. I worry that it will lose popularity and disappear. I worry that it won't outlive J.K. Rowling herself. I'm worried about all of this. I don't want it to be cancelled for good.​

erasure fan1

They'd be smart to put fantastic beasts to bed and pretend it never happened. The first one was ok, but the 2nd was as big a train wreck as I've ever seen. It was so terrible I can't bring myself to watch the 3rd. Especially since so many I've talked to said it's even worse than the 2nd.

There will be more Potter movies of some sort. It's too big of a franchise to go dormant. They'll probably let the stench air out for a couple years or so, then try something new.

MagicKingdom4Ever

Original Poster
They'd be smart to put fantastic beasts to bed and pretend it never happened. The first one was ok, but the 2nd was as big a train wreck as I've ever seen. It was so terrible I can't bring myself to watch the 3rd. Especially since so many I've talked to said it's even worse than the 2nd.

There will be more Potter movies of some sort. It's too big of a franchise to go dormant. They'll probably let the stench air out for a couple years or so, then try something new.
Perhaps this thread was a mistake. I didn't want to get into harsh commentary, but looks like this is where they're going.

And c'mon, guys. In my opinion, the second Fantastic Beasts film wasn't that bad. Yes, it was a darker, more mature film than previous films, but I still enjoyed it. Plus, that movie is a little special to me because it's the first Wizarding World movie I saw in theaters, and to be honest, I really appreciated the nods to Harry Potter that it had in there, like Nagini and Nicholas Flamel. It wasn't a total train wreck.

cookiee_munster

You can't really say anything regarding Harry Potter without having J.K Rowling's name heavily associated with it. All the people trying to disassociate the artist from the art are absolutely deluded. The franchise needs to be taken out back and shot, and then burned to a crisp, and then shot at again for good measure. If she decides to eventually have some kind of enlightened moment where her sheer narrow-mindedness is actually widened and decides to become more accepting of people different from her (pretty much the core of the books) then I'd be happy to see more stuff made.

I'm actually pretty relieved that Disney never got the rights to it way back then. The backlash they'd get today would be absolutely mind-blowing (and for good reason)

In the meantime, I have a boatload of stuff that's now in storage, hidden away like some dirty little secret.

EDIT - I understand how strong of an opinion this may be. But as a fairly big Potter fan from once upon a time, i can't help feel a little stung by the author's recent disgusting actions/opinions

Last edited:

mf1972

i’m sure we’ll see some kind of new potter stories or movies in the future. i’ll admit i didn’t care for the recent fantastic beasts movie. if that series is shut down, u won’t hear a complaint out of me.

celluloid

It needs to breathe a bit to get exciting again. They did a trilogy spin off and if it breathes again it has a chance to have more impact in eight to ten years as a new movie coming out.

Ghost93

I'm actually pretty relieved that Disney never got the rights to it way back then. The backlash they'd get today would be absolutely mind-blowing (and for good reason)
Disney opens itself up to criticism much more easily than Universal. Had Disney made the Wizarding World, there would probably be people with picket signs storming the Magic Kingdom accusing the company of transphobia. For whatever reason, Universal Studios hasn't faced such a backlash.

I think Harry Potter will continue to be profitable, but the franchise has been tainted for many due to JK Rowling. I think any future Harry Potter movie or TV show will be plagued by controversy due to Rowling's involvement.

Jedijax719

Cursed Child is NOT the way to do with this. Make a movie based on the new game (Hogwarts Legacy) or have a whole new story with the main 3 actors. But not Cursed Child.

There will always be love for HP. Even with the JK Rowling controversy and even with the Fantastic Beasts movies. We are going to Universal this summer with a HP vacation package and pre-ordered HL for the Switch. Can't wait!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom