Is the Mummy Roller coaster comparable to Space Mountain?

Crazyredheads

Original Poster
Hi Guys,
I am going to Universal in 3 weeks and I never rode on The Mummy before for fear of being sick. I like to try new things and kinda want to see the story/theming of the ride but don't want to deal with feeling sick all day.

I cannot do very intense roller coasters. I can handle smaller, more tame ones like Seven Dwarves and Thunder Mountain at WDW. I also can do Simulator rides like Forbidden Journey and Transformers with no problems.

I did try Space Mountain once at WDW and almost was sick on the ride. I walked out of there regretting having gone on at all and was feeling nauseated the rest of the day. I think the roller coaster itself wasn't too bad but the fact it was in the dark made it worse. I don't want the same thing to happen to me on The Mummy.

What do you think? Can I handle the Mummy or is it too similar to Space Mountain?

The Pho

It goes faster than Space but it isn’t pitch black, you can see the track. And is also partially a dark ride with show scenes. And it is a very smooth ride, and because of that I think it feels like a much tamer ride than Space does. I think the ride experience is a better comparison to Big Thunder than to Space. The ride also doesn’t really have any surprises like Space does, you don’t turn or drop out of nowhere, you will know when they’re coming, but you will stop suddenly three times and launch once. If you can handle Forbidden Journey and Big Thunder, you can handle The Mummy.

Weather_Lady

I find Mummy to be less intense than Space Mountain, since I can see enough of the track to know what's coming: I'm not getting jerked all over the place and feeling like I have full-body whiplash at the end, as I do on Space Mountain.

Club Cooloholic

Hi Guys,
I am going to Universal in 3 weeks and I never rode on The Mummy before for fear of being sick. I like to try new things and kinda want to see the story/theming of the ride but don't want to deal with feeling sick all day.

I cannot do very intense roller coasters. I can handle smaller, more tame ones like Seven Dwarves and Thunder Mountain at WDW. I also can do Simulator rides like Forbidden Journey and Transformers with no problems.

I did try Space Mountain once at WDW and almost was sick on the ride. I walked out of there regretting having gone on at all and was feeling nauseated the rest of the day. I think the roller coaster itself wasn't too bad but the fact it was in the dark made it worse. I don't want the same thing to happen to me on The Mummy.

What do you think? Can I handle the Mummy or is it too similar to Space Mountain?
The track portions seem shorter and not as intense, imo. The theming is amazing, one of my favorite rides at Uni, better than Gringrotts

JillC LI

I would say Mummy is slightly more thrilling than Space Mountain - closer to RNRC - but far smoother than Space Mountain so I find it more enjoyable and comfortable than Space. I got incredibly nauseous on FJ and Transformers.

OG Runner

I would say it is less intense than Space Mountain, but a more fun ride. Space Mountain is a larger roller coaster, with a majority of the ride in total darkness. The Mummy is much better themed with, as previously mentioned, a much smoother ride. Mark my words, you
will enjoy the Mummy. Make sure to confirm after your vacation.

Crazyredheads

Original Poster
I find Mummy to be less intense than Space Mountain, since I can see enough of the track to know what's coming: I'm not getting jerked all over the place and feeling like I have full-body whiplash at the end, as I do on Space Mountain.
I know what you mean. I felt like I was beaten up after space mountain. The jerky motions did not help with the nausea either.

Crazyredheads

Original Poster
I would say Mummy is slightly more thrilling than Space Mountain - closer to RNRC - but far smoother than Space Mountain so I find it more enjoyable and comfortable than Space. I got incredibly nauseous on FJ and Transformers.
My husband got sick on FJ too. He practically walked out on all fours. Funny how I am not sick on that that but other rides get to me??

Crazyredheads

Original Poster
I would say it is less intense than Space Mountain, but a more fun ride. Space Mountain is a larger roller coaster, with a majority of the ride in total darkness. The Mummy is much better themed with, as previously mentioned, a much smoother ride. Mark my words, you
will enjoy the Mummy. Make sure to confirm after your vacation.
Ok, I decided. I'll do it!
I guess I'll never know until I try it.
I think the fact that it is short and smooth, I should be ok.

JoeCamel

Ok, I decided. I'll do it!
I guess I'll never know until I try it.
I think the fact that it is short and smooth, I should be ok.
Mummy is nothing like the others, There are three stops in the ride and a backwards portion but it will not be a problem for nausea. Try FJ again, the projections and ride profile have been updated

Last edited:

macefamily

If Space Mountain had lights and really cool attraction points during the ride. To me, the Space Mountain queue is the most visual part of the ride. Once the ride starts, it's pitch black. But I think that's part of the appeal of SM, it's more of a thrill ride. The Mummy is a slow ride at points to show different scenes (which I really like). Even when it's "You're souls are mine !!!" time, there's still lit points while the car races around the track. Two great rides, two different feels.

Tom Morrow

Judge for yourself...

The banked turns in Mummy is why it's "smoother" since there are less lateral forces.

Your Mummy video is from Universal Studios Hollywood. They aren't clones, though. The Orlando version is faster and more intense, though unlike in Hollywood it only goes backward down a small dip for about 3 seconds.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Your Mummy video is from Universal Studios Hollywood. They aren't clones, though. The Orlando version is faster and more intense, though unlike in Hollywood it only goes backward down a small dip for about 3 seconds.

Oopsie.

Ok... here's an Orlando night vision version, though, they do a horrible job on the fast part after the final launch...

And a re-creation of the ride in roller coaster tycoon, which also doesn't light up the final track that much, but, you can see there are no big drops or inversions...

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom