Is the Great Movie Ride next?

No, I'm asking a question. If Forrest Gump's cultural legacy is dismissed as nothing more than a chain of seafood restaurants, then I'd like to know what the cultural legacy of those other films is.
1.) Tarzan yell is one of the most used stock sound effects used in the business.
2.) The Alien Chestburster scene has left a huge impact on pop culture (ie. Spaceballs). Also, have you seen the Alien merchandise and video games? The sequels, spin offs? Etc.
3.) Public Enemy? One word: Grapefruit.
4.) Are you kidding me? The Searchers? John Wayne?

Mike S

1.) Tarzan yell is one of the most used stock sound effects used in the business.
2.) The Alien Chestburster scene has left a huge impact on pop culture (ie. Spaceballs). Also, have you seen the Alien merchandise and video games? The sequels, spin offs? Etc.
Alien is pretty much the Sci-Fi equivalent to Jaws. That's really all that needs to be said of how impactful it is.

DisUniversal

1) So, a cheesy sound effect is a cultural legacy and a chain of restaurants and numerous memorable quotes is not?
2) Agree...Alien had a notable cultural impact.
3) Sorry, try again.
4) Are you kidding me? Forrest Gump? Tom Hanks?

1) So, a cheesy sound effect is a cultural legacy and a chain of restaurants and numerous memorable quotes is not?
3) Sorry, try again.

Tarzan has also had it's share of sequels, spin offs, pop culture references.

I mean they made a Disney movie about him!

Watch and research The Public Enemy. It's a great pre-code film, and you'll know exactly what I mean.

Not a fan of Tom Hank's performance of Forrest Gump, to be honest.

- B.

I think it would be cool if they redesigned the ride to show how classic movies inspired current ones. That would be a way to keep classic movies while keeping younger people engaged with the newer ones. And perhaps building appreciation for the classics, which the current ride fails to do.

misterID

3) Sorry, try again.

You're talking about the greatest films of all time, and a timeless classic character along the lines of Superman, The Lone Ranger and Batman.

Forrest Gump is an American Classic and I wouldn't be against its inclusion, but those films mentioned have tremendous significance in the history of American film. Which is the point of the ride.

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Simple solution folks...do the ride as the history of Walt Disney animation and movies starting from the beginning and how things evolved through time and the technology changes up to the latest ones etc. Plenty of material and very interesting show scene possibilities

Would be an awesome family ride for all ages

yoda_5729

In any update to the ride there will be huge debate as to the movies to choose, but also which are plausible to pull off, or Disney has the rights to do. In all truth, Gump would be easy enough and help represent the career of Tom Hanks. Gump was a big hit, and did inspire more then Bubba Gump Shrimp. Weird Al has a song about the movie. It also is the iconic performance for Hanks. Don't get me wrong I'm not a huge Gump fan, but it is considered a classic, and was in AFI's Top 100 movies of all-time, something Tarzan, Alien, and Public Enemy can't say. Also, though I hate them, Gump did win the Academy Award for best actor, and best film. Him on a bench with the feather blowing around might actually be cool if done right, and it could be a small section. No disrespect though to those other films.

Lots of movies can have a case made for them. I think one thing should be iconic images, like Kong on the Empire State Building, or ET flying across the moon (those obviously are owned by Universal, but they can and should be in the montage.) I like Some Like it Hot, and AFI named it the greatest comedy in the history of American Movies, but it would be difficult to come up with the right scene to represent that classic movie. That's why I've mentioned Marilyn's skirt blowing scene, as it is one of the most iconic moments in the history of cinema. Heck, if you wanted a Disney moment, Lady and the Tramp eating spaghetti to represent romance. Looking at Hank's career, I can only really come up with Gump, or the piano in Big as things to represent him, though Toy Story might have possibilities.

What's a Great movie though? Dark Knight? Wall-E? Die Hard? Avengers? Avatar? Jurassic Park? Sunset Boulevard? Tarzan? Robin Hood? Silence of the Lambs? All About Eve? Sound of Music? Shawshank? Animal House? I will unquestionably admit, it takes time to earn the stature of Great Movie. The first year the Library of Congress collected films for it's library they chose 25 films, and the Godfather didn't make it? Clearly personal bias comes in, and some may hate some of the movies already represented. The benefit some of those have is that they did change movie history, though Some Like it Hot, Psycho, and Jaws changed movies as well.

I always like Tarzan the character, the concept etc. It is important to have a adventure type show represented, but much of what people are saying about the impact of the movie Tarzan, actually comes from the books, pulps, comics etc by Edgar Rice Burroughs (though the yell is from the movie, which is famous). It'd be like saying the Harry Potter movies were completely responsible for the cultural status of Potter, forgetting the books which were every bit as big. Tarzan the character has been done so many times and so many versions, I have no real problem with saying it's a great movie, but I could argue Gump was every bit as great from an artistic and historic standpoint.

Last edited:

DelGriffith

Exactly what has been the cultural legacy of Tarzan? Alien? Public Enemy? The Searchers?
Public Enemy was instrumental in launching the Gangster genre. The Searchers is widely regarded as one of the best films of all time. It is an iconic Western and is probably the best known movie from the still legendary movie star John Wayne. The Tarzan movies and Alien are a bit iffy though.

ryan1

A HUGE opportunity was missed from the get go back when it was MGM (it'll always be MGM to me).

Bond, James Bond. If Bond replaced the Gangster section that would be fine with me. I like the gangster scene but its the largest section of the ride and 50+ years of Bond could be represented well.

Also, Gump would be a horrible option due to the fact that there wouldn't be a scene worth recreating on the ride. Would you have him sitting on a bench and just say "Stupid is as stupid does" or "Life is like a box of chocolates"? I'm 99% sure its in the final montage and that is the perfect place for it. Give it a nod but nothing more.

LostPrincessKarleigh

I can see a Star Wars expansion being the thing that kills GMR. the show building would be perfect for a massive Star Wars attraction, and you could turn Commisary Lane into a Tatooine market, turn the ABC Commisary into the new ride entrance, give Sci-Fi Dine-In a Star Wars makeover, and you have a large 'expansion' for a far lower cost than anything that would need a new building.
No! Not my Sci-Fi dine in! D: that's one of my favorite restaurants on property. :(

Imagineer Mitch

It would be interesting if they took the "being in the movies" idea and put you in different ones while being in a memorable scene from movies while using the Mystic Manor ride system. But make it interesting with the vehicle being interactive from each scene. Also use scenes that would be fun to escape from or scenes that accentuate the rides features.

Steel City Magic

Once again im amazed theres another thread on this. Not gonna happen. Hey lets demolish spaceship earth or cinderellas castle while we're at it. Lol I see 0% chance of removing gmr in the near future. The only way I see it happening is IF they completely change the theme of the entire land down the road. I just cant see it happening. Id love to see an update though. The ride needs some love and tlc

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom