Is the Great Movie Ride next?

CDavid

I want to know how many people actually know who James Cagney is before they ride it.

I bet the numbers are something like under 15% for all ages, people under the age of 20; probably like 2%.

This is why it'll be replaced, don't know if I agree or disagree.

But as its been posted, if its for a Star Wars land, tear that bad boy down NOW!

The number of people who know who James Cagney is before they ride is not the point, but rather how many have a greater knowledge and appreciation for his and other films of the period after experiencing the attraction. I'm not quite sure how people can argue that classic movies are not relevant in an attraction which showcases the history and story of classic movies; You can't tell that story with present day blockbusters, which in ten or twenty years may themselves be far more obscure than any of the films in The Great Movie Ride.

Those who would disregard movies from decades ago are missing out on a rich legacy of very worthwhile productions. Further, if decades-old movies are no longer relevant to a theme-park audience, then Star Wars land should never be built; It is based on what will soon be a 40 year old movie - obviously it is no longer relevant.

That is not to say that The Great Movie Ride should not be updated (and it should have happened before now). The ride needs - or perhaps requires - periodic updates and enhancements. There is room for both classic and more recent "popular" movies, but to lose the attraction from a Hollywood/movie centered park altogether would be a travesty. It is the centerpiece of the park - should Disney also remove Spaceship Earth or Cinderella Castle?

This rumor came from Jim Hill who said that something "cool" was going to replace it once they announced the DHS plans, but couldn't say more. I found it odd that he went into so much other detail and spoilers about all of the DHS changes but when it came to GMR he said he couldn't talk about it. Why could you tell us everything else except this one facet of the changes?

Maybe because Jim hasn't read anything else about the rumor yet on WDWmagic? I say that only half facetiously... ;)

ryan1

In my mind there is a lot of room for improvement on the ride BUT it is an important ride to keep since it keeps kids exposed to classic movies.

If I got my way I would rearrange the ride to take you through a timeline of movies and movie making.

- Update the trailers (either different movies and at least go digital)
-Replace the Berkley scene with a movie highlighting classic silent movies (Chaplin, Keaton, The Train Robbery, etc)
- keep Singin' In the Rain (widely considered the greatest musical of all time) but relocate it.
- Move Casablanca up to where Singin' is currently and add a Gone With the Wind scene
- Keep Poppins or replace it with another classic Disney film
- Keep the first half of the western scene but update the AAs
- Move the Cagney portion of the gangster scene to replace the western "gun fight"
- Replace the entire gangster section
- Keep Indy
- Keep the horror section as is (you aren't going to be able to get the Universal classic horror films so what is there is a good substitute and pretty creepy.
-Replace Alien or condense it to make room for another sci-fi film (not necessarily Star Wars) to be added in the space portion
- I could take or leave the Fantasia scene with Mickey.
- Replace Tarzan completely
- Replace at least one scene of Oz either the witch scene of the emerald city scene
- Update the ending montage by adding a few new scenes and movies but DO NOT remove any. Also update the film to digital.

I would also keep the CM in the car and not bother with the whole switcheroo "movie magic" aspect of the ride. The CMs seem REALLY bored with it and it comes across as not caring.

I love the ride and it is a must do basically every time I'm at MGM the entire building is fantastic and the queue is one of the better ones in the parks.

wdw47

The script could definitely use a refresh, but a lot of it really depends on the delivery by the cast members. Jungle Cruise is the same way.

I agree to a certain extent. A good Jungle Cruise skipper is make or break for sure but the cast members in GMR are hindered by the awful script.

tirian

@Lance

If not for the GMR, I never would have fallen in love with classic movies. The real world is already dumbed down to the Lowest Common Denominator because everyone in the 80s and 90s was brainwashed to be as inclusive as possible in all ways, not just the important ones. The Disney World doesn't need to be further dumbed down, too. It's been oversimplified enough (see: Liberty Square, POTC, Future World, World Showcase [and its attractions that were never built]).

But the GMR is outdated. The live actors are embarrassing. The superior Western scene is rarely used to its potential. Drop Berkeley and add silent comedies. Replace Tarzan with Gone with the Wind. Make Alien scarier—it's still widely considered one of the best sci-fi horrors of all time specifically because Ridley Scott didn't dumb everything down (see the common thread here?). Update that ridiculous final montage that counts Sister Act, Three Men and a Baby, and POTC among the greatest movies of all time.

The number of people who know who James Cagney is before they ride is not the point, but rather how many have a greater knowledge and appreciation for his and other films of the period after experiencing the attraction. I'm not quite sure how people can argue that classic movies are not relevant in an attraction which showcases the history and story of classic movies; You can't tell that story with present day blockbusters, which in ten or twenty years may themselves be far more obscure than any of the films in The Great Movie Ride.

Those who would disregard movies from decades ago are missing out on a rich legacy of very worthwhile productions. Further, if decades-old movies are no longer relevant to a theme-park audience, then Star Wars land should never be built; It is based on what will soon be a 40 year old movie - obviously it is no longer relevant.

That is not to say that The Great Movie Ride should not be updated (and it should have happened before now). The ride needs - or perhaps requires - periodic updates and enhancements. There is room for both classic and more recent "popular" movies, but to lose the attraction from a Hollywood/movie centered park altogether would be a travesty. It is the centerpiece of the park - should Disney also remove Spaceship Earth or Cinderella Castle?

Maybe because Jim hasn't read anything else about the rumor yet on WDWmagic? I say that only half facetiously... ;)

FrankLapidus

Why does everyone always want to replace the Alien scene? That movie is a classic! And the set captures the mood perfectly.

Couldn't agree more, I think it defined the sci-fi genre along with Star Wars. I can remember reading someone define Star War as The Beatles of science-fiction and Alien as the Rolling Stones. I think that's perfectly apt.

For me it is, without a shadow of a doubt, one of the best films ever made.

misterID

Why does everyone always want to replace the Alien scene? That movie is a classic! And the set captures the mood perfectly.
Everytime I hear someone say remove the Alien segment it's always based on it being too scary for the poster's kids.

Here's a solution. Do what my mother used to say to me when my family dragged me into Magic Journeys and I knew that scary a** witch was going to show up and scare the hell out of me.

Tell them to close their eyes.

Problem solved.

FrankLapidus

You know, cause the aliens scare the 5 year old kids, Disney's target demographic. Oh and they aren't princesses so the little girls (Disney's major target demographic) can't be bothered.

Same reason we lost Alien Encounter. Which, coincidentally, Jim Hill says was originally conceived as an Alien ride set aboard the Nostromo and deemed too scary. It would have been an amazing attaction though.

And so we now have corndog-flavoured burps instead. Thanks Disney.

Fox&Hound

If they redid it, I wish it would be a celebration and ride-though of Disney's Animated Classics. What a great way to incorporate some lesser seen classics in the parks- 101 Dalmatians, Robin Hood, Fox and the Hound, Jungle Book, etc. It could also be a way to give Oswald some love, too. They could discuss Toy Story and computer animation and how it changed the art form. They could show Princess and the Frog and the "return to hand-drawn". Then even "Tangled" and how they used computer animation but made it look like water color. It could be very educational, show some history, have some current hits, etc. I think older fans would love to see some long forgotten classics and younger fans would love to see a Rapunzel AA. This way, for the many movies that deserve rides, they get some presence in the parks. I think it would be a great fit for the park and celebrate movies too. =)

rct247

No, I don't think GMR's days are numbered. Not quite yet at least. It should receive an update before it gets the boot.

As another thread discussed, there is a lot of misuse of the term "outdated". GMR is more "stale" than outdated meaning the the script, sets, and animations are aging, but not is a way that dates it to a specific year. The only thing that might be outdated would be the montage at the end.

DisUniversal

The number of people who know who James Cagney is before they ride is not the point, but rather how many have a greater knowledge and appreciation for his and other films of the period after experiencing the attraction.
Do you really think that anyone...even one single person, has a greater knowledge or appreciation for who James Cagney is after seeing what is basically a department store mannequin that vaguely resembles him?

I'm not quite sure how people can argue that classic movies are not relevant in an attraction which showcases the history and story of classic movies; You can't tell that story with present day blockbusters, which in ten or twenty years may themselves be far more obscure than any of the films in The Great Movie Ride.
A 3 second appearance by a cheap animatronic isn't enough for anyone to learn anything about the actor or movie being portrayed, nor does it really give much incentive to go out and watch one of those classic movies afterwards. It's best to stick with what most people can actually relate to when presented in the context of a ride like that.

Most people don't want to watch movies from the 30's and 40's any more than they want to listen to music from the 30's and 40's. Sure there are some exceptions, but not enough to justify an attraction like GMR remaining rooted so deeply in the past.

ogryn

As a homage to movies, Cinemagique does a much better job than the GMR in a much smaller space. I'd be sad to see GMR go though as it really is a large centrepiece ride that made Disney different from any regional park.

imagineer boy

If they redid it, I wish it would be a celebration and ride-though of Disney's Animated Classics. What a great way to incorporate some lesser seen classics in the parks- 101 Dalmatians, Robin Hood, Fox and the Hound, Jungle Book, etc. It could also be a way to give Oswald some love, too. They could discuss Toy Story and computer animation and how it changed the art form. They could show Princess and the Frog and the "return to hand-drawn". Then even "Tangled" and how they used computer animation but made it look like water color. It could be very educational, show some history, have some current hits, etc. I think older fans would love to see some long forgotten classics and younger fans would love to see a Rapunzel AA. This way, for the many movies that deserve rides, they get some presence in the parks. I think it would be a great fit for the park and celebrate movies too. =)

No.

BrerJon

As a homage to movies, Cinemagique does a much better job than the GMR in a much smaller space. I'd be sad to see GMR go though as it really is a large centrepiece ride that made Disney different from any regional park.

I love GMR and would be devastated if it changed, so I wouldn't support it, but I could see them doing the following:

Cinemagique has a small footprint. Imagine if they repurposed the GMR show building for another ride, but put Cinemagique into the Chinese Theater; it would just about fit in the preshow cinema. So they get to use the bulk of the GMR show building for whatever Frozen nonsense they want, but still have the theater being a front for a great attraction that pays tribute to great movies.

StitchRox

The script could definitely use a refresh, but a lot of it really depends on the delivery by the cast members. Jungle Cruise is the same way.
The script was fine until the last rehab in 2003 when that hack Jason Surrell got his hands on it and cheesed the whole thing up with stupid puns like "Ohhh I see dead people" and "No that's not George of the Jungle, that's Tarzan!"

Vegas Disney Fan

I like the ride but would prefer they scrap the script and just turn it into a Carousel of Progress type ride with the CM being the narrator, highlighting each genre and how movie making has changed over the years. They could keep most of the current scenes but rather than interacting with the scene I'd prefer they talk about the changes in movie making that made it possible, I'd also replace a few scenes with something more current and add a scene for computer animation. It's a fun ride but feels like it's missing something in it's current state.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom