Is the Great Movie Ride lost on today's youth?

Susan Savia

The ride should be left as it is. Its about the Classics, something kids of today don't often know about. Maybe after riding it they might want to know more? :shrug:

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Awww, not TDO...? :lookaroun

:lol:

Be careful...people will start to confuse me with some of those people that blame everything on TDO.

I know the post that you refer to...it's should've been obvious that I was being facetious. :shrug:
  • Second post of the thread.
  • Disclaimer immediately afterwards!
  • Subject of thread not located in Florida

_Scar

I'm young, but I still 'got' the classic-ness of the movies.

I still haven't seen Singin' In the Rain or most of the other movies, but I think you'd have to be living under a rock to not hear about these by a certain age. (maybe 14-15 ish)

rodserling27

It's called the Great Movie Ride...not the Great Video Game Ride nor the Great YouTube Instant Gratification Ride.

If kids don't appreciate it...I blame the parents.
Excellent.

I've loved this ride since I was a kid, despite the fact that even now I have yet to see, in full, some of the movies. I've never seen in full: "Casablanca," "Singin' in the Rain," and I've never seen "Footlight Parade" at all, apart from the previews in the queue.

But I still love this attraction. I think they've done a pretty good job updating the finale film over the years...they added POTC film footage along with some Narnia and whatnot....a little refurb of the AA's wouldn't hurt at all though.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
If there was any other attractions in the half day park would folk still ride this? Its not exactly a real repeat experience is it?

Hell I can only vaguely remember some of the films through my grandparents watching them, what chance do the younger ones have. Just because a film is held in reverence doesn't guarantee it will stand the harsh light of examination buy a more aware audience, even if they are thick.

The AAs are tatty, and the scenes they depict a bit like comparing Call of Duty to tennis on the Atari. Nostalgia has its place, just not in a theme park attraction.

BrerFrog

Well there's a few reasons kids don't like it....

•The GMR doesn't go over 40 MPH.

•They don't know a good movie when they see it.

•They have the attention span of a squirrel.

The kids I go to WDW with have it listed on their "must-do" list and look forward to seeing this each trip.

I don't know why, but that part made me :ROFLOL:

bgraham34

This is an attraction that I have not gone on in a while. I think it needs some sort of overhaul. A new scene added and 1 removed. But choosing a scene to remove would be hard. I would leave that up to people well above my paygrade.

cblodg

I'm not sure if it's lost on the younger generation. When I was younger I loved it. I was fascinated by old movies and such so it really appealed to me; even more so when I was in high school and took Film Critique and learned about some of these films.

If anything, GMR needs to remain as a shrine to what Hollywood was and not what it has become. Could it use some sprucing up? Sure, but not a drastic overhaul. Remember, DHS (MGM) is supposed to be about the Hollywood that never was and nothing embodies that more than GMR.

Future Guy

It needs better Animatronics. That is all. I really love how it doesn't pretend that the only movies in existence are whatever Disney films are currently on the home video market. And if they ever remove that shot of the U.S.S. Enterprise from the finale montage, I will throw a tantrum.

Testtrack321

It's no more lost on this generation as it was lost on the prior, or the next. I bet there are kids out there who haven't even seen Peter Pan or Snow White, yet we're not talking about removing them from the MK (both have poor AAs too). As someone said earlier, it's the GREAT MOVIE RIDE, it's about GREAT MOVIES, not well known movies or popular movies of the time.

For me personally, I think that the Great Movie Ride is one of the defining qualities of the studios. Before Rock'n Roller Coaster, Tower of Terror, and Toy Story Mania, it was the headliner attraction next to Star Tours in entertainment value. When I first went on when I was around ten (even though the alien scene kind of creeped me out!) , I thought it was amazing and still do to this day. It's the idea of looking back at a bygone yet astounding era that I think attracts me to it every time.

pjulie75

I think it would be great if it had 1 section of the ride changed every year to freshen it up. It would be exciting to see the new scene and would keep the ride fresh. My kids however love the Wizard of Oz scene and so do I. Ride is a must but wouldn't say I get excited at the thought of going on it, just keeps us out the sun for a while:ROFLOL:

nibblesandbits

I would like to see this ride get a sprucing ala Spaceship Earth's ascent. I think the AAs in this attraction desperately need work.

I also would like to see a new scene or so added. You don't have the change the whole thing, but change up one scene or so and add something a little more current/classic. Like the added computer scene in SSE.

Just sprucing up this ride, I think could make a huge difference. It's not a bad ride...I love it....but it just needs some TLC.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Original Poster
:lol:

Be careful...people will start to confuse me with some of those people that blame everything on TDO.

I know the post that you refer to...it's should've been obvious that I was being facetious. :shrug:
  • Second post of the thread.
  • Disclaimer immediately afterwards!
  • Subject of thread not located in Florida
As was I in quoting you. :wave: :D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom