Is the Great Movie Ride lost on today's youth?

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Original Poster
Since my first time experiencing the Great Movie Ride in 1989, it's always held a very special place in my heart. To me, it's one of the classics that I'd hate to see go, or even given a half-hearted refurb. Though, I wonder if today's youth have little to no connection with the attraction.

I'm not saying I want the ride shut down and completely redone, but I think the finale clip show should be updated again. Even on my first ride at age 6, I was very clueless about a lot of the featured movies. As I grew older, I watched many of those movies because I wanted to see how well the ride depicted the scenes.

These days, do you think the lack of popularity is due to the fact that kids have no clue what 90% of the attraction is based off?

Just wanted to hear your thoughts. :wave:

Victoria

Not old, just vintage.
Since my first time experiencing the Great Movie Ride in 1989, it's always held a very special place in my heart. To me, it's one of the classics that I'd hate to see go, or even given a half-hearted refurb. Though, I wonder if today's youth have little to no connection with the attraction.

I'm not saying I want the ride shut down and completely redone, but I think the finale clip show should be updated again. Even on my first ride at age 6, I was very clueless about a lot of the featured movies. As I grew older, I watched many of those movies because I wanted to see how well the ride depicted the scenes.

These days, do you think the lack of popularity is due to the fact that kids have no clue what 90% of the attraction is based off?

Just wanted to hear your thoughts. :wave:

After riding GMR with my 11 year old niece and my 9 year old nephew last year I can assure you that the ride is totally lost on the youth of America. Neither of them have any clue what most of the movie scenes are about and they can't identify 90% of the movies in the finale. I realize the ride isn't aimed at kids, but it definitely could use some updating. Like you, when I was younger I didn't know what most of the movies where about either but as I got older I watched them to fill in the missing pieces. I think that at minimum the finale should be updated ASAP. :shrug:

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Original Poster
After riding GMR with my 11 year old niece and my 9 year old nephew last year I can assure you that the ride is totally lost on the youth of America. Neither of them have any clue what most of the movie scenes are about and they can't identify 90% of the movies in the finale. I realize the ride isn't aimed at kids, but it definitely could use some updating. Like you, when I was younger I didn't know what most of the movies where about either but as I got older I watched them to fill in the missing pieces. I think that at minimum the finale should be updated ASAP. :shrug:
It would break my heart to see the ride's scene's redone. Though, the place needs some TLC, stat! I hope I don't get flamed for saying this, but I'd almost like to see the ride go the way of Living with the Land. Drop the CMs, who, let's be honest, can really make or break your ride. Dub in some audio narration. Update the finale. Please?

Animaniac93-98

I'll start off by saying that I think it's downright insulting to suggest that the following films are "obscure":

- Singin' in the Rain
- Mary Poppins
- The Wizard of Oz
- Alien
- Raiders of the Lost Ark
- Casablanca
- Fantasia

If kids don't know about these films now, they'll know eventually. Far too much TV exposure, home video reissues, IMDB hits and the like to just be forgotten.

Other sections such as the Gangster and Western scenes are based on broader concepts that shouldn't be difficult to grasp. And even Tarzan while may not beginning the most widely scene version, the character himself is not forgotten or obscure.

Only Footlight Parade is arguably "lost" on most people, but that kind of or era in film musical history should be featured.

If it's not popular with youth, I blame the CMs performance or the lack of upgrades to the AAs which pale in comparison to other attractions now. Especially with the advancments made to facial expressions in animatronic figures, new ones could pull off the more "intimate" scenes like the one form Casablanca used, while still begin able to do the borader emotions of other film scenes with more fluid movements and better skins. No longer would the stiff faces fail to convey the original actors emotions (at least as much).

So I blame tech more than content.

maggiegrace1

I do not want the finale updated if it means taking things out..which it would...:(

I also enjoy the tour guides and think that is one of the great things about the ride...which I do love as you do Jenn..:D

I like it the way it is..the youth can go dance to High School Musical..:D
:shrug:

:lookaroun

Master Gracey 5

This one has always been one of my favorites, even when I was younger. I don't think you need to be able to identify movies in the finale to be able to appreciate the message of film as a classic art medium and an important part of millions of people's lives. In fact, I've been proud that as I've gotten older I can now recognize many of the older films they show clips of.

I'd say it speaks to a larger problem with kids today and their interests/attention span. I can only hope that they learn to appreciate this ride as they grow older, much as you learn to appreciate Epcot as you mature.

That said, the ride does need some TLC. As we mentioned in another thread, the CMs don't seem as well trained or interested which mainly detracts from the experience. The AAs could use some updating which would help add some flash to the scenes. The finale was updated only a few years back (you can tell fro the addition of Narnia which came out in 2005) but could probably use a few new films every so often. The core ride is great, but like everything else in WDW it can't last forever in its original form.

One Lil Spark

EPCOT Center Defender
Original Poster
Some AA updating like they did in SSE would be great! Just a few scenes with some much needed plussing and perhaps an HD finale might bring more crowds to this great attraction.

misterID

It should feature classic films and icons, like it does. Appealing to kids would ruin it. What modern "iconic" films would be placed there? I know Titanic would probably be one... The Dark Knight... Appealing to kids is when you'd get into the territory of having High School Musical placed in the GMR and it would dumb it down and open the flood gates...

The Excorcist would be a great addition, then you wouldn't have to worry about any of the scenes being lost on children. Problem solved!

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
It's called the Great Movie Ride...not the Great Video Game Ride nor the Great YouTube Instant Gratification Ride.

If kids don't appreciate it...I blame the parents.

Alexx

I'm 16 and i've seen the majority of the movies on the GMR and the ones I havent seen I know of them but I know what you're saying the majority of kids won't know the films.

mickey2008.1

Lets compare it to radio, back in the day it used to be soft redio, mostly elevator music, now its the eighties, nineties, and disney pop. same as the movie ride, it is stuck in the past, you have to keep the great movies, just like radio keeps alot of the great songs from the 60's and 70's. its time to add the great movies from the past 40 years, examples saving private ryan, forrest gump, surfs up, titanic, ect.....there are so many.

WDW Vacationer

Well there's a few reasons kids don't like it....

•The GMR doesn't go over 40 MPH.

•They don't know a good movie when they see it.

•They have the attention span of a squirrel.

The kids I go to WDW with have it listed on their "must-do" list and look forward to seeing this each trip.

Alexx

Well there's a few reasons most kids don't like it....

•The GMR doesn't go over 40 MPH.

•They don't know a good movie when they see it.

•They have the attention span of a squirrel.

The kids I go to WDW with have it listed on their "must-do" list and look forward to seeing this each trip.

fixed :)

PlaneJane

In the Parks
No
If it's not popular with youth, I blame the CMs performance or the lack of upgrades to the AAs which pale in comparison to other attractions now. Especially with the advancments made to facial expressions in animatronic figures, new ones could pull off the more "intimate" scenes like the one form Casablanca used, while still begin able to do the borader emotions of other film scenes with more fluid movements and better skins. No longer would the stiff faces fail to convey the original actors emotions (at least as much).

So I blame tech more than content.

You honestly should know that TDO is not going to spend money on a attraction that is sponsorless and has AA's that are considered in TDO's eyes in perfect shape. Do I even have to bring the Yeti up?

diddy_mouse

I don't remember riding this when I was a kid, so I put it on my "to-do" list as an adult. When I did finally ride it I got the feeling of "Ah, Classic Hollywood!" which I do think is lost on a large part of the younger generation. Considering the Studios was originally set up to remind guests of the Hollywood-that-never-was.

I'd love to see the AAs get upgraded (a la SSE) and the finale film get a little bit of a boost.

Raven66

I have so much love for this ride. It's actually one of my favs. I love all kinds of movies and have passed that on to my daughter. The ending montage is really my favorite part. I love to get lost in it and take the kid with me. The Alien part has always scared her tho but she still loves the ride. On our last trip I rode it by myself. It just didn't seem the same without my daughter and hubby with me. I like being in awe of it all with them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom