Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

SoupBone

Imagine what people would say if there never ever was a Club Cool. And, as part of this renovation, Disney proudly announced, "And as a special treat to our guest -- and in cooperation with the Coca-Cola Company -- and in keeping with our international theme of World Showcase, Epcot will provide a spot where guests can refresh themselves with samples of Coke flavors around the world! And we're going to call it... Club Cool!"

It would be ridiculed.

Ehhhh, I don't think so unless it was complaining for the sake of complaining. Tasting different Coke products that I can't buy here has always been a "Cool" thing. If they rotated flavors out and even used the space as a consumer product testing space, it could be beneficial from a data side as well. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm gonna really miss Club Cool.

Sir_Cliff

Define useful. Starbucks, Club Cool, Meet and Greets are useful depending on the beholder.

I'm not angry by it, but it does come across as unnecessary and a misuse of money when these "additions" could be worked into the existing setup and allow for money to redo Imagination, for example. Money can be better spent, that's my dislike of it. Comes across as short sighted to me. Just my opinion though. It's a fine example of modern day Disney.
Retrofitting is not necessarily cheaper than building new facilities. For example, I'd be surprised if they are saving money by keeping the original Universe of Energy building rather than just bulldozing it and building a new custom structure for the queue.

The other point is that they likely want to open up the centre of Future World so the pavilions aren't essentially invisible once you get past Spaceship Earth. Whether it turns out well or not remains to be seen, but I can see the argument for doing that. Particularly as, personally, I don't think the Innovations/Communicore buildings are in and of themselves especially attractive.

DisneyDreamerxyz

I used to work in Mousegear and I have to say that those two buildings are very oddly shaped and rather than trying to retrofit an old building just to save the building I think removing it and starting with something fresh is the better way to go.

Mousegear has many awkward doorways and small back areas from when it was Centorium and the strange U shape really makes it difficult for guest and cast to manuever through the store.

bcoachable

Really pretty interesting to see how attached we patrons become to things (fountains, etc) because of the feelings the things (fountains, etc) evoked in us while we were visiting...
I kind of view these theme park places as artwork-
I’m ok with someone messing with the art as long as what comes next can keep adding to the original feeling I (we) got that first time we walked through the gate, and strolled around.
it gets scary to me when I think of imagination, and what happened there...
So here’s to those creating what’s to come- May it be “like a grand and miraculous spine redo”
Thanks to Marni and others for keeping us informed as possible as we watch patiently over the next four years...

TJJohn12

Imagine what people would say if there never ever was a Club Cool. And, as part of this renovation, Disney proudly announced, "And as a special treat to our guest -- and in cooperation with the Coca-Cola Company -- and in keeping with our international theme of World Showcase, Epcot will provide a spot where guests can refresh themselves with samples of Coke flavors around the world! And we're going to call it... Club Cool!"

It would be ridiculed.

Almost like the ridicule that labeling coke products at each WS pavilion with the local language, and maybe reusing round Coke packaging that resembles a globe? ;-)

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
Anger over demolishing a building that hasn't housed anything useful or entertaining in about a decade.

I am guessing you never visited EPCOT Center, not to be confused with it’s current iteration, Epcot. It’s truly a shame that you will never see the wonder that was the original spine and Communicore. It is well within Disney’s creative cache to have reused and restored the original buildings, saving a piece of EPCOT Center history. @marni1971 has even commented positively about an alternate plan which did just that. What you have seemingly proposed here is uninspired sprawl to cater to the ever present festival.

So many possibilities of design while preserving the legacy of EPCOT Center, but hey we got another beer garden. And throw in some merch and a retro night time show to say we care.

Bender123

Ehhhh, I don't think so unless it was complaining for the sake of complaining. Tasting different Coke products that I can't buy here has always been a "Cool" thing. If they rotated flavors out and even used the space as a consumer product testing space, it could be beneficial from a data side as well. Maybe I'm in the minority, but I'm gonna really miss Club Cool.

Plus it was free...the mere fact that you could SHOCK get something extra that cost nothing extra was huge. Add in the fact that it was something that was cool, unique and refreshing...It was the exact right fit for the exact right location. Im going to miss it...even though it was blatant advertising.

Cmdr_Crimson

Club Cool and the 80s hallway next to it were the best...nothing but air conditioning, chairs, tables and some rarely used bathrooms. Im going to miss that area...
I Would say...before 2015 when Disney realized they could use the hallway for something...During that time when you walked in there hardly anyone would sit on the floor and just walk through. I on the other hand would sit close to the windows, grab a popcorn, people watch and listen to the Innoventions loop..I'm glas I recorded footage when it was like this before the atrociously bad idea to throw chairs in there and called it......shudders "The D-Zone".......:oops:

Bender123

I Would say...before 2015 when Disney realized they could use the hallway for something...During that time when you walked in there hardly anyone would sit on the floor and just walk through. I on the other hand would sit close to the windows, grab a popcorn, people watch and listen to the Innoventions loop..I'm glas I recorded footage when it was like this before the atrociously bad idea to throw chairs in there and called it......shudders "The D-Zone".......:oops:

That didn't last long...it was gone by Summer 2016. The chairs and tables were there, along with some couches/benches.

It was wonderful...send the kids to Club Cool for free beverages while I crash on a bench in the AC.

Cmdr_Crimson

That didn't last long...it was gone by Summer 2016. The chairs and tables were there, along with some couches/benches.
Again...It was better without the chairs and tables were not there. It looked like this when I went there...Nice and empty..
299.JPG

TOCPE82

It would be ridiculed.
Ice Station Cool was better :)

DanielBB8

I am guessing you never visited EPCOT Center, not to be confused with it’s current iteration, Epcot. It’s truly a shame that you will never see the wonder that was the original spine and Communicore. It is well within Disney’s creative cache to have reused and restored the original buildings, saving a piece of EPCOT Center history. @marni1971 has even commented positively about an alternate plan which did just that. What you have seemingly proposed here is uninspired sprawl to cater to the ever present festival.

So many possibilities of design while preserving the legacy of EPCOT Center, but hey we got another beer garden. And throw in some merch and a retro night time show to say we care.
They could have saved Energy, Horizons, World of Motion, and the original Imagination. Communicore was the least consequential loss. I don't understand why buildings that have no attractions is considered something well worth saving. Today it's a beer garden. Tomorrow it might be something else, but it will still remain festival seating for food and alcohol. They will be much more interesting than technology exhibits.

They should try to save Imagination, but their track record is not so great. Spaceship Earth will make it. Can we finally call "Wonders of Life" building the "Play Pavilion"? I suspect the Play Pavilion is why Communicore/Innoventions doesn't need to return there.

Aries1975

Retrofitting is not necessarily cheaper than building new facilities. For example, I'd be surprised if they are saving money by keeping the original Universe of Energy building rather than just bulldozing it and building a new custom structure for the queue.

The other point is that they likely want to open up the centre of Future World so the pavilions aren't essentially invisible once you get past Spaceship Earth. Whether it turns out well or not remains to be seen, but I can see the argument for doing that. Particularly as, personally, I don't think the Innovations/Communicore buildings are in and of themselves especially attractive.

Although I had not experienced it, I have frequently heard about the odors in the building. I may be completely wrong, but plastic pipes do not like snakes. A breach with 1st generation PVC sanitary lines is unfortunately probable. Retrofitting pipes and ductwork through concrete is never fun. As sad as I am to see the building demolished, there is usually a very real cost advantage to building new versus adapting a building to a new purpose.

rreading

I don't know that this thread needs another opinion, but...this is a forum...

I frequented SSE, Horizons, Imagination and WOM in their heyday and they were amazing! Our family loved them, and we rode them again and again. After professional training took me away from WDW for ~10+ years, I was disappointed to find most of the classics gone or gutted. At least SSE and LwtL are still standing.

However, I have never found Communicore to be useful to the flow of the park nor interesting in themselves. The buildings look better from above; at ground level, they didn't captivate me then nor now. And while I suppose that the way that they separate FW East from FW West could allow a presentation of each side of FW when you walk through, I would have always preferred to walk straight from SSE to the Seas then Land then...rather than have to walk all the way to the Land entrance then back.

While I appreciate and enjoy the Fountain and the view of SSE it provides, hopefully once the entrance of Epcot is cleaned up then there will be a beautiful view on entering and we won't miss the cleaner view from the back. I've tried to stop and watch the fountain show, but my family never lets me loiter and it does NOT capture their interest.

I respect @marni1971 and those who feel that these plans could have been done better; but I'm not surprised that they decided that razing Commmunicore was needed to open up the center of FW.

Now they need to do it well; and on completion - please improve Imagination.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom