Rumor Is the End of Innoventions Near?

jt04

Any other implementation of Wakanda at Epcot, other than what you've suggested, would be laughable and a disgrace to the parks. So naturally I'm inclined to believe World SHowcase is exactly where it will end up being.

It is clear Disney is hesitant to add countries to WS. I think it is logistically difficult and politically risky. Wakanda would change that and give the creative team a lot of leeway in taking WS to a better future.

Definitely the type of creative freedom for Imagineering everyone here claims to want.

IMO.

TwilightZone

Friendly reminder that Disney doesn’t have the majority of marvel rights in Florida. Gotg is probably it. But it is a sign of ip overhaul.

Rich Brownn

It is clear Disney is hesitant to add countries to WS. I think it is logistically difficult and politically risky. Wakanda would change that and give the creative team a lot of leeway in taking WS to a better future.

Definitely the type of creative freedom for Imagineering everyone here claims to want.

IMO.
Can you imagine if some of the originally proposed countries had been built? Iran would certainly be an issue. USSR would need an overhaul. Lebanon and Israel? (We used to joke Israel would shell Lebanon nightly for the fireworks display). :/

aliceismad

BUT - are you ok with Wakanda in World Showplace? Because from a story treatment side that's where it would be built.

Whereas a Stark Expo-type sponsorship would fall in FW.
I don’t think they can use Stark in WDW because of the whole Marvel deal with Universal. I heard they could use Dr Strange, but I don’t actually know if that’s true. I’m not an expert in the legalese wording in the Marvel deal.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I have a handful of ideas and I'm a nobody. There are too many intelligent and creative people in Imagineering to allow this to continue, yet it seems that it is. Until proven otherwise, I am anticipating Epcot to be another version of the Magic Kingdom, but somehow more disjointed.

All due to the small- and narrow-minded people running the joint. They don't have the slightest clue about what "being creative" is, or how it can enhance their precious bottom-line. (And not in the illegal, cooking-the-books way ;))

Missing20K

All due to the small- and narrow-minded people running the joint. They don't have the slightest clue about what "being creative" is, or how it can enhance their precious bottom-line. (And not in the illegal, cooking-the-books way ;))
And all they would need to do is dust off the internal company history books and edu-ma-cate themselves. They work for the company that literally invented the industry and yet still have trouble realizing how that creativity drives the top and bottom lines. I'd guess there are some very frustrated creative folks at WDI that feel their hands are tied. But like us all, they need the paycheck.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
And all they would need to do is dust off the internal company history books and edu-ma-cate themselves. They work for the company that literally invented the industry and yet still have trouble realizing how that creativity drives the top and bottom lines. I'd guess there are some very frustrated creative folks at WDI that feel their hands are tied. But like us all, they need the paycheck.

They still have those? Well, TWDC history only goes back to 2005, so maybe they still have a few copies laying around somewhere...

Wait, you mean TWDC existed before Bob Iger was CEO? Are you sure? Who's going to be the one to break the news to him??

I found the following quote on insulated cups on the Disney Fantasy (but they are apparently theme park coffee cups) to be quite hilarious while also being irritating at the same time, given how crude the Bob's tend to be with things from the past:

"I love the nostalgic myself. I hope we never lose some of the things of the past." - Walt Disney

jt04

What Marvel IP’s can be used? And how many Marvel characters aren’t effected by the Universal contract.

I didn't necessarily mean Marvel is the future of FW. Just that type content.

They can't use the Marvel name or any characters directly connected to the Avengers or currently in use at IoA. That is my understanding. There are still thousands of more obscure characters and new ones they could develop. I don't think they intend for FW to only have Marvel IPs but it is possible.

I am sure the deciders are still deciding.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
What Marvel IP’s can be used? And how many Marvel characters aren’t effected by the Universal contract.

GotG (possibly without Dax) and Doctor Strange (who has already done a M&G in DHS).

Also available are the Defenders and Deadpool, but, with their R-rated movies/series, not likely unless they get used in the PG MCU.

Also available is Agents of Shields.

What can't be used is Spider-Man, Hulk, Avengers, X-Men, and Fantastic Four and any of their principal allies of villains.

There are other Marvel comic supers that are disconnected from the mainline supers comics such as Big Hero 6 and Legion (which is too R-rated for the parks). These can be used.

trainplane3

GotG (possibly without Dax) and Doctor Strange (who has already done a M&G in DHS).

Also available are the Defenders and Deadpool, but, with their R-rated movies/series, not likely unless they get used in the PG MCU.

What can't be used is Spider-Man, Hulk, Avengers, X-Men, and Fantastic Four and any of their principal allies of villains.

There are other Marvel comic supers that are disconnected from the mainline supers comics such as Big Hero 6 and Legion (which is too R-rated for the parks). These can be used.
So you mean Deadpool narrating the "Making of Me" isn't going to happen? I think he'd explain the process very well.

tirian

All of those attractions you mentioned were retrofits with low budgets. That rarely works, we know this.

IPs can work in Epcot if given the proper funding and story. Epcot needs a cohesive theme and whether or not the includes IPs or original concepts is largely irrelevant. It has been rudderless since 1997 and I'm not seeing any sign of that changing. It's survived on the backs of halfway decent attractions and festivals, but it's less than a year away from having the worst attraction lineup of any Disney park in the country.

I have a handful of ideas and I'm a nobody. There are too many intelligent and creative people in Imagineering to allow this to continue, yet it seems that it is. Until proven otherwise, I am anticipating Epcot to be another version of the Magic Kingdom, but somehow more disjointed.

WDI already did that. It’s called Shanghai DL; and it’s a disaster full of highly visible show buildings, a castle that looks like a box with towers tacked onto it (unless you view it exactly from the front center), and oversized landscapes with undersized theming.

Here’s a complete view.

https://www.rollercoasterphilosophy.com/category/asian-parks/shanghai-disneyland/

DreamfinderGuy

Adjust that for inflation and spread over 12 years. A 5th gate would cost at least that much.

It really all depends how much of a transition they intend. My number includes the rumored hotel and probably necessary transportation and infrastructure upgrades. They could easily spend that much.
I did adjust for inflation. Wasn’t Epcot 800 million at the time?

RSoxNo1

Drax can be used, he appeared in The Great Movie Ride.

TwilightZone

While I am not a fan of Marvel attractions being forced into Disney parks, I find it odd that Disney purchased Marvel knowing that they would be limited in what they could use in their parks. I get that the movies are huge money makers, but the fact that they cannot use some of the most iconic Marvel characters at WDW while their direct competitor can freely use them is kind of annoying. I feel as though they should have spent the money it would have cost to buy the rights from Universal so that Disney can freely use their own properties as they want to.

Again, I'm not really a fan of the way Marvel has been shoved into the parks, but I almost feel as though it would have been better in the long run if they could use whatever they want. I doubt we would have seen GotG shoved into EPCOT and DCA. Does anybody know how much it would cost for Disney to buy out the Marvel theme park rights from Universal?
Keep in mind they aren't free in the movie department either. Sony owns the rights to Spiderman, and I don't know what will happen with Fantastic Four even after the Fox buyout. Disney did a big gamble that payed off.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom