Is the DVC business for sale?

brianstl

Original Poster
DVC have just switched from RCI to II for their trade programme, which means we can use points now for Marriott resorts.

I doubt any such move would be good for DVC members. People joined DVC because it was Disney’s timeshare. I don’t want to be competing for booking WDW resorts with Marriott owners, for example. If DVC members want to join another timeshare company they can do so.
Who could book at current resorts wouldn't change if DVC was sold.

correcaminos

It still amazes me how companies don’t understand that you get what you pay for. Pay cheap overseas people, you get crap IT. They aren’t vested at all, so couldn’t care less if they do a good job.
You aren't IT are you? Disney IT has always been crap since the beginning. Has zero to do with what you're saying. The bulk of Disney IT is states side last I saw. Going for form over function has been their MO from early days. Which leads to a mess of things. You're thinking more customer service issues many companies deal with. IT workers are pretty equal no matter where they studied IMO. You'll get bad among well paid or not. Ask me about a guy being fired who is making great dough here but whose work ethic is lousy

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
You aren't IT are you? Disney IT has always been crap since the beginning. Has zero to do with what you're saying. The bulk of Disney IT is states side last I saw. Going for form over function has been their MO from early days. Which leads to a mess of things. You're thinking more customer service issues many companies deal with. IT workers are pretty equal no matter where they studied IMO. You'll get bad among well paid or not. Ask me about a guy being fired who is making great dough here but whose work ethic is lousy
Actually, I've been in IT for over 45 years in almost every single job you can imagine IT performing. Network engineer, web designer, computer security, and a software developer for over 30 years. Disney IT was crap because they were never given the resources necessary to do the job correctly in the first place (and they still don't) - not because of all bad people. Sure you will find people with a lousy work ethic - I've seen it many times, but they are usually the minority, not the majority.

I worked for a company that outsourced their software development to a foreign company that paid it's developers $10-12/hour, similar to what Disney has done. I was responsible for checking the code and putting it into the production environment. Well, they claimed they were senior level developers but the code they wrote looked like it came from a 10 year old that had started coding over a summer. It was total crap. I had to rewrite all of it, and so the company actually ended up paying more than if they would have not outsourced the work. So yes, I know all about it and why their websites are worse than before.

correcaminos

Actually, I've been in IT for over 45 years in almost every single job you can imagine IT performing. Network engineer, web designer, computer security, and a software developer for over 30 years. Disney IT was crap because they were never given the resources necessary to do the job correctly in the first place (and they still don't) - not because of all bad people. Sure you will find people with a lousy work ethic - I've seen it many times, but they are usually the minority, not the majority.

I worked for a company that outsourced their software development to a foreign company that paid it's developers $10-12/hour, similar to what Disney has done. I was responsible for checking the code and putting it into the production environment. Well, they claimed they were senior level developers but the code they wrote looked like it came from a 10 year old that had started coding over a summer. It was total crap. I had to rewrite all of it, and so the company actually ended up paying more than if they would have not outsourced the work. So yes, I know all about it and why their websites are worse than before.
Honestly I'm a bit shocked by your comment then. If you did any hiring or firing you'd have seen how it isn't just overseas or high pay that brings in good. Proper pay will keep, but not always even bring in good.

Sorry you feel your company didn't do it right. If doing it too speedy you'll run into issues too.

You didn't mention also if your company pushed for speed which we know sucks for coding too. Spoken as one who hates real and true program coding and will avoid like the plague as being lysdexic it takes me waaaay too long.

Disney again, hasn't outsourced last I knew. In fact the law suit said they were state side workers. So you're still off on that. They decided form over function from day 1 which is the Disney way. Disney imagineers weren't always the best with knowing how to create because they were made to imagine new idea. Trying to do that in the IT world causes failure mwhich is exactly what Disney did. Some of the best workers I know are immigrants who started working in other countries. Their IT knowledge surpasses many here. My experience of course.

Disney's continual lack of redundancy and issues with data boggle me to this day.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
Honestly I'm a bit shocked by your comment then. If you did any hiring or firing you'd have seen how it isn't just overseas or high pay that brings in good. Proper pay will keep, but not always even bring in good.
Yes, I have had to hire and fire workers. One of the jobs I hated the most was letting someone go, even when it was the right thing to do.
Sorry you feel your company didn't do it right. If doing it too speedy you'll run into issues too.
I left that company since they weren't interested in doing it the right way.
Disney again, hasn't outsourced last I knew. In fact the law suit said they were state side workers. So you're still off on that. They decided form over function from day 1 which is the Disney way. Disney imagineers weren't always the best with knowing how to create because they were made to imagine new idea. Trying to do that in the IT world causes failure mwhich is exactly what Disney did. Some of the best workers I know are immigrants who started working in other countries. Their IT knowledge surpasses many here. My experience of course.
What lawsuit are you talking about? I thought I read a big stink quite awhile ago that Disney IT folks had to train their replacements that were outsourced to a foreign company. I am certainly not stating that all foreign workers are bad - I know quite a few that are excellent, just that when you don't work directly for the company, you don't have as much of a vested interest in making things perfect. I've seen that over and over with more than a few companies.

correcaminos

Yes, I have had to hire and fire workers. One of the jobs I hated the most was letting someone go, even when it was the right thing to do.

I left that company since they weren't interested in doing it the right way.

What lawsuit are you talking about? I thought I read a big stink quite awhile ago that Disney IT folks had to train their replacements that were outsourced to a foreign company. I am certainly not stating that all foreign workers are bad - I know quite a few that are excellent, just that when you don't work directly for the company, you don't have as much of a vested interest in making things perfect. I've seen that over and over with more than a few companies.
That lawsuit was about bringing in workers with valid visas. Nothing with outsourcing but had to do with hiring in. Not the same thing really. It was a handful of years ago too. So long after Disney's IT failed anyway. To me it is all about what company you use if you do outsource. Not where. Domestic outsourcing is real too. It's not always in a company's best interest to keep in house. But that's not what Disney did anyway

Maybe I'm callous but when someone doesn't do their job I no longer feel bad if they lose it.

LuvtheGoof

Grill Master
Premium Member
That lawsuit was about bringing in workers with valid visas. Nothing with outsourcing but had to do with hiring in. Not the same thing really. It was a handful of years ago too. So long after Disney's IT failed anyway. To me it is all about what company you use if you do outsource. Not where. Domestic outsourcing is real too. It's not always in a company's best interest to keep in house. But that's not what Disney did anyway

Maybe I'm callous but when someone doesn't do their job I no longer feel bad if they lose it.
Ahh, ok, and I completely agree that if someone isn't doing their job, I won't feel bad at all if they lose it.

correcaminos

Ahh, ok, and I completely agree that if someone isn't doing their job, I won't feel bad at all if they lose it.
My husband is an IT manager who is about to fire someone who stinks royally. He has zero guilt. I'm happy I'm more or less self employed for tax purposes (I work for a company in another state and it's easier this way due to their rules) and am so glad that I just do it all or outsource when it's something I don't want to do. I rarely have to worry about lousy workers. Like when doing a major overhaul to our site I outsource since I have no time for that an my daily work that I do on our site. Though I fired our last person as they were totally incompetent. No guilt there. That's not regular for me though.

Phonedave

My husband is an IT manager who is about to fire someone who stinks royally. He has zero guilt. I'm happy I'm more or less self employed for tax purposes (I work for a company in another state and it's easier this way due to their rules) and am so glad that I just do it all or outsource when it's something I don't want to do. I rarely have to worry about lousy workers. Like when doing a major overhaul to our site I outsource since I have no time for that an my daily work that I do on our site. Though I fired our last person as they were totally incompetent. No guilt there. That's not regular for me though.

I do not know if this is what TDC is doing with their IT, but as somebody who project manages projects involving IT with a company that uses WAY more IT resources than Disney does, I know what I see as the biggest problem with IT in general.

Contractors.

It is not that the contractors are not skilled, it is that they do not have the knowledge of the ecosystem in the company. When you are a salaried employee and you work in an Agile pod dedicated to one or two systems, you know those systems. You know how they are coded, you know the systems they interact with, you know how to code in them effectively.

When you are a contractor, or even an employee that gets bounced from project to project, there is a large learning curve to becomming proficient in the system you are coding in.

correcaminos

I do not know if this is what TDC is doing with their IT, but as somebody who project manages projects involving IT with a company that uses WAY more IT resources than Disney does, I know what I see as the biggest problem with IT in general.

Contractors.

It is not that the contractors are not skilled, it is that they do not have the knowledge of the ecosystem in the company. When you are a salaried employee and you work in an Agile pod dedicated to one or two systems, you know those systems. You know how they are coded, you know the systems they interact with, you know how to code in them effectively.

When you are a contractor, or even an employee that gets bounced from project to project, there is a large learning curve to becomming proficient in the system you are coding in.
No idea what the mix is tbh. The lawsuit fired workers and gave off an idea they were not contractors, and I only talked with one IT who was not a contractor but moved around different groups a lot - some of it was pandemic driven in recent years, but they did switch a lot to keep jobs. I know another who quit with not so rosy things to say (but understandably a bit tight lipped about specifics). So my gut goes with management who doesn't realize the harm they do by moving people around over just contract work. Again Disney never pushed for good functionality - my guess is the uppers foster a bad environment that focus on more unimportant aspects and drive back end to be lousy. The crud I've been through with my own account issues with Disney IT makes me think it's such a mess that it'd be really hard to properly fix. I also wonder for changes to website and apps how much they focus on testing. Feels that users are the guinea pigs way too often. All speculation on my part.

lightguy

Surely if DVC was sold, the new owners could change anything and everything about it. Even if home priority was kept, at 7 months it could be open to all the global membership whether DVC or otherwise.
I don't believe this is true- at least for existing properties. They can do anything they want for future development. First, I think we need to clarify that while everyone refers to it as Disney Vacation Club, DVC is technically the common owners association. The development, marketing and sales operation- which I guess Disney could sell- is Disney Vacation Development, Inc. That's who you buy your DVC points from.

When you buy into DVC (or any other timeshare), you are buying a legal real-estate interest in the property. The deed and covenants specify certain things that can change and others that can't. Disney can't "sell" my ownership interest in the property. And since Disney has little to no ownership interest in the physical property (they retain the underlying land and the structure reverts to them at the end of the term of the timeshare), there's not much they can "sell" with regard to the current properties. To be honest, if they tried, the owners could probably take over operational management of of the individual DVC resorts. DVC (the sold properties) is essentially a condominium. The owners pay Disney a management fee to operate their units/buildings/resorts/reservations/etc. They also pay them pro rata operational costs for parking, transportation, shared front desk operations, etc. Interestingly, between 25% and 33% of the annual dues people pay are actually just to cover the property taxes on the properties. DVC- meaning the owners and common association- actually picks up significant percentages of the operational costs of of the bus system, monorails, boats, hotel operations in the hotels like AKL, etc.

None of this makes much sense unless Disney wants to sell off their entire hotel operation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom