Is the D23 Expo worth visiting from the UK?

cree

Original Poster
Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum, I just signed up and I really wanted opinions from Disney fans.

I've always wanted to go to the expo but I didn't save enough to go in the past. Now I actually do and I made plans to visit Anaheim just for this 3 day event and the 60th anniverary of DL. Before I buy the tickets and book flights etc, I want to know if this event is GENUINELY worth travelling all the way from England for 5 days. As I've heard 50/50 opinions. Is it more of a thing for locals or US residents, things like that.

If not, I'll book a trip to DW for a bit ;D

Californian Elitist

If you're willing to be up in the wee hours of the morning to get in line for the really popular and most anticipated panels, it'll be worth it. Just prepare for some of the longest lines you've seen in your life.

Or you could just visit DL alone...

cree

Original Poster
Thing is, I don't wanna pay over £3000, fly 9 hours and stay for 5 days just to que in panels with a 50/50 chance of even getting into the panel and not the screen room. If not I can go to DW for 2 weeks!

Californian Elitist

Thing is, I don't wanna pay over £3000, fly 9 hours and stay for 5 days just to que in panels with a 50/50 chance of even getting into the panel and not the screen room. If not I can go to DW for 2 weeks!

That's why I suggested just doing Disneyland. Or even a Southern California trip. You can stay in California for two whole weeks and try something different, or you can go back to WDW and stay for two weeks.

cree

Original Poster
That's why I suggested just doing Disneyland. Or even a Southern California trip. You can stay in California for two whole weeks and try something different, or you can go back to WDW and stay for two weeks.

That's a good idea. Thank you so much for your help!

216bruce

As someone who's been to two D23 Expos I can confirm the crazy wait times and the 50/50 shot you have at getting in to some panels. I found that if you go to one of the "big" arena sessions that you are pretty much giving up the better part of that day at the Expo. Really tough to do much beforehand and guarantee a place for the Films, Legends or Parks arena shows. Then , considering that those can be about three hours or so, you exclude yourself from much else except for maybe an end of the day panel. My son and I have been discussing doing much less Expo and more DL this time. Going to wait and see who the Legends are before going to that one, will probably skip the Parks one since the Star WarsLand announcements will probably be made at The Star Wars Celebration. Will likely do just the "films" presentation and a couple of smaller panels. It is crazy there, but I really wish that the company would save more for the Expo and really make it special for parks fans.

BrerJon

I'm from the UK and went to D23 in 2011. Is it worth it for the convention alone? No, probably not, given you don't do much more than stand in longer lines than you've ever been in your life. But there is a little place 10 minutes walk away from the convention center that changes the game completely.

I'm not sure if you've been to Disneyland before but it's right next door to where D23 is, so you can spend most of the time there and with the 60th anniversary it will be a great time to visit the park.

So my advice is don't plan a D23 trip, plan a week in Disneyland that happens to coincide with the convention, that way you won't be disappointed but will get a Disney fan's dream week.

D23 itself is a very mixed convention. To get into any of the panels with movie stars, or Parks and Resorts, or any of the 'headline' things, you will need to get there four or five hours in advance, and even then there is no guarantee of getting in.

I planned to attend seven or eight panels when I was there, and over three days only managed to get in to two, with hours and hours spent in line. Maybe choose one main one you really want to wait for, then a smaller one, but for the rest of the time don't worry about the panels.

But there is lots to see and do apart from panels. Plenty of Disney fan art booths abound, and if you like current Disney film and TV things there tend to be lots of promotional booths. The highlight really was the animation booth and Imagineering sections which had minimal lines but were very well done - not revealing much new, but really nicely thought out and well presented.

There is also exclusive merchandise, and some of the Imagineering stuff is great. Plus like any convention there will be side things, stands and people you meet, that make it very memorable. Just don't get hung up on getting into Parks & Resorts, Star Wars or Marvel panels - everyone will be having the same idea.

Was it worth it? At full price, I'm not sure on it's own, and certainly not flying all the way across the Atlantic, but as part of a bigger Disney trip, where you spend most of your time at Disneyland then do D23 in the middle for a change of pace, it would definitely be worthwhile - and with managed expectations about time in lines, then D23 would definitely be a highlight.

Last edited:

GiveMeTheMusic

Sorry if this is in the wrong section of the forum, I just signed up and I really wanted opinions from Disney fans.

I've always wanted to go to the expo but I didn't save enough to go in the past. Now I actually do and I made plans to visit Anaheim just for this 3 day event and the 60th anniverary of DL. Before I buy the tickets and book flights etc, I want to know if this event is GENUINELY worth travelling all the way from England for 5 days. As I've heard 50/50 opinions. Is it more of a thing for locals or US residents, things like that.

If not, I'll book a trip to DW for a bit ;D

If you've been to WDW (especially more than once), book a trip to DLR, whether you choose to include D23 or not. If you do, maybe just pick one day for D23 - all 3 days isn't really necessary unless there are multiple panels you're willing to wait in line for. Since you're visiting from England, spend a week or more and see Los Angeles! It's an amazing culture and an incredible to place to visit...unlike say Orlando, which is solely about theme parks. Orlando has great parks, don't get me wrong - but when you come here, you can spend a few days at DLR (3-5 is plenty) and then take some time to see California, which is full of attractions in its own right. Come on over to the DLR board here if you want more advice - we've got some amazing threads about visiting SoCal and the things to do while you're here, as well as a comprehensive guide for WDW veterans visiting DLR for the first time.

D23 is great, and you get the feeling of being a part of something semi-historic. If seeing the Disney Legends ceremony or that kind of thing REALLY excites you, then take some time to do it. Stay at an off-site hotel (Disney's Anaheim hotels are super expensive and don't provide much advantage) and save some money that way.

Hope that helps!

Figments Friend

Some great advice in here.
I have recently been reading up on fan reviews of the overall D23 experience lately, as i have been thinking about maybe attending my first next year as well.
At this point it is still early....but i will admit, i have thought about it.
This comments here are insightful for me, too, so i am enjoying the read.

I have also heard very mixed opinions on the D23 Expo....and basically concluded that most of the disappointment people seem to bring away with them is these three key areas -

The insanely long lines to just get into the building itself, and for certain popular panel presentations.

Folks showing up expecting to do everything they want to do, or experience many different presentations/panels quickly learning it is fairly impossible to do so....even with the help of the new 'StagePass' feature.

D23 Members who have a paid Membership have expressed disappointment and even outrage in some cases that there is no 'class system' in place to insure paying members receive certain privileges then non-paying members or even the general public.

My impression is that if you attend, expect to spend a lot of time waiting in long lines if you want to see any of the main panels or purchase any of the exclusive merchandise offered.
Decide well in advance which panel presentation you really want to experience, and go for it...then focus on other aspects of the Event.
For me, i probably would not attend all three days. Depends on what is offered/presented ...but Saturday always seems to be the 'big day' for any Convention in general ( not just D23 ).

I highly recommend coming over to experience Disneyland. A absolute must-visit and well worth your time.
Spend a day or two at the Expo, but also allow plenty of time to enjoy the Parks...and the rest of Southern California.

:)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom