Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

coruscant

Earful Tower is the icon of Walt Disney Studios Park in Paris, the only other Disney studios park. I highly doubt it's right in the middle of the park. (Drops microphone)

http://www.disneylandparis.co.uk/destinations/walt-disney-studios-park/

Well you have to realise that the layout and size of the Studios in Paris is very different that the Hollywood Studios in Florida. The tower stands near the entrance, next to studio 1 which is the "main street" of that park. In the middle of the park you have the partners statue. So although it is not in the middle of the park, it is very visible, especially from the entrance and the middle of the park. It stands more as an icon that the one in Florida even though it is not in the middle. But then again an icon does not need to be in the middle of the park (SSE at Epcot).
You can see below a picture of the entrance of the Studios in Paris with the tower towards the left side of Studio 1.

BrerJon

Well... at least we know where the top of the hat (affectionately known as the "hat nipple") is going now!

dsajkl654322thumb.jpg

(Disney California Adventure, on top of their theatre, for the 60th celebration)

Not really, though. Just trying to lighten the mood!

That does look like a Sorcerer's Hat. Why is Disney so obsessed with using that thing everywhere, and why are they so keen to destroy views of historic theatres with it?

I feel sorry for our friends on the West Coast having to endure that, but hopefully the SAH will really, really, be temporary, unlike what we faced.

EDIT: Nevermind, just seen the blown up photo and looks like it's not a hat after all, phew!

kucarachi

I do understand the purist that like things a certain way, and having a perfect view of the Chinese theater being the perfect photo op on Hollywood blvd. But I worked at Disney's El Capitan and that is s truly magestic Hollywood theater. The Chinese was dirty, carpet stained, And bathrooms looked like a murder scene. If you truly want a Hollywood icon that is beautiful inside and out they should build the el Capitan and put in a Oscar type audience participation show...instead of oscars they can hand out little sorcerers hats

UofMGuy423

You know I have never known DHS/MGM without the hat. So, it is a little sad to see it go, from a nostalgic standpoint. That is how a lot of people remember the park, how they identify it from their younger years.

Funny you should say this as I never thought of it that way. Last night at dinner, I was using one of my McDonald's glass collector's cups from the 100 Years of Magic Celebration and there was trivia on there about the hat. So my son was reading it out loud. After he finished, I said, the hat won't be there on our next trip, they are taking it down. All 3 of my kids (11, 9, and 8) were devastated. They couldn't understand why the hat was being removed, they thought it was the dumbest idea and expressed their love for the hat. (this discussion followed their complaints that Maelstrom shouldn't be switched to Frozen, so they were already a little upset I suppose). But, for them, they've only known the park with the hat and they didn't even realize the theater was hidden behind it!

Last edited:

Brad Bishop

Funny you should say this as I never thought of it that way. Last night at dinner, I was using one of my McDonald's glass collector's cups from the 100 Years of Magic Celebration and there was trivia on there about the hat. So my son was reading it out loud. After he finished, I said, the hat won't be there on our next trip, they are taking it down. All 3 of my kids (11, 9, and 8) were devastated. They couldn't understand why the hat was being removed, they thought it was the dumbest idea and expressed their love for the hat. (this discussion followed their complaints that Maelstrom shouldn't be switched to Frozen, so they were already a little upset I suppose). But, for them, they've only known the park with the hat and they didn't even realize the theater was hidden behind it!

I think that's telling of the great time you had with them. Sure, the hat is an icon to them, but the meaning (devastation) wouldn't be there without that great time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom