Is the clock ticking on the Sorcerer Mickey Hat icon at the Studios? YES!

Rob562

For a "temporary" structure, it definitely seems like they built it more to be permenant. This is all part of their corporate agenda.

"Sturdy" does not necessarily mean it's not "temporary". Something that tall that was meant to be in place for 18+ months needed to be hurricane-proof. It's not like a tent they set up in the parking lot for a marathon that can be taken down in 8 hours if a hurricane starts heading for Central FL...

-Rob

Stupido

I always find myself torn when thinking about the hat. On one side, yes, I believe the hat is atrociously tacky, overpowering, and unnatural. It doesn't fit the feel of the park. It isn't worthy of being an iconic centerpiece for Hollywood Studios. I am all for ripping it down, and pretending it never existed.

However, on the other side, that would leave the Chinese Theater as the iconic centerpiece of Hollywood Studios. While, yes, this fits the theming, and, yes, it's classic, and, yes, it's been there since opening, I don't think that the Chinese theater is worthy of being the iconic centerpiece of Hollywood Studios either. The Chinese Theater is already an iconic location on Hollywood Boulevard. I think the cornerstone of the park should be something original. Why go look at Disney's recreation of an already existing building?

I think further more, Hollywood Studios theme park is not a direct representation of old Hollywood anymore. It has since expanded it's theme to pretty much anything having to do with performance art. You have stage shows, music inspired roller coasters, singing competitions, and of course, attractions based off of movies. I think that TDO needs to really find something that can represent more of these ideas, and produce something worthy of being iconic to a Disney Park.

Long shot, I know. But I think that it's what is needed.

Zweiland

The hat is just a cool looking icon can't the earful tower and the hat share the love.
This already has and will be explained over and over again in this old thraed, but I'm happy to do it again. Compare these two pictures.

removehat_before.jpg

removehat_blvd.jpg

A "theme park" is supposed to have a theme. Hollywood Boulevard's theme was (note the past tense in "was") the Golden Age of Hollywood, from the 1920s-50s. A classic Hollywood theater certainly fits better in that theme than a giant cartoon hat, not to mention the fact that it's a pin shop, or the fact that it was supposed to be temporary.

MickeyisMyBestFriend

This already has and will be explained over and over again in this old thraed, but I'm happy to do it again. Compare these two pictures.

removehat_before.jpg

A "theme park" is supposed to have a theme. Hollywood Boulevard's theme was (note the past tense in "was") the Golden Age of Hollywood, from the 1920s-50s. A classic Hollywood theater certainly fits better in that theme than a giant cartoon hat, not to mention the fact that it's a pin shop, or the fact that it was supposed to be temporary.
Yeah your right

Mouse_Trap

I guess the problem is that the studios without the hat lacks the marketable graphic of the other parks. Sure there's water tower, but isn't that hidden away in the backlot? It's certainly not the centrepiece as you enter the park like the rest.

Personally, I love the Crossroads to the World Mickey, but pretty sure that would hit some copyright infringement if they marketed that as their icon.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I guess the problem is that the studios without the hat lacks the marketable graphic of the other parks. Sure there's water tower, but isn't that hidden away in the backlot? It's certainly not the centrepiece as you enter the park like the rest.

Personally, I love the Crossroads to the World Mickey, but pretty sure that would hit some copyright infringement if they marketed that as their icon.

But the water tower is used in a lot of marketing, and the hat could be put somewhere else and still be a marketing logo.

sabbyxxo

Ya take away that stupid pin shop underneath. The hat blocked the theater which should be showcased as if you're walking down like the red carpet while entering the park, I think. Aka, build a red cemented walk way, with handprints of past Hollywood stars / Disney characters, the heads that are randomly placed next to American Idol there, and showcase the fabulousness of the Chinese theater! I mean, it IS 'HOLLYWOOD' studios, not 'block an original Hollywood icon by a pin shop under an oversized hat' spot. What a fabulous idea! I thank myself ;D

CrescentLake

What would be the icon if the Hat were to be demo-ed? Could they use the Chinese Theater as the icon? Or back to the Earful Tower?

And side note...what is DCA's icon now?

lazyboy97o

DCA's icon, I think, is Mickey's Fun Wheel?
The original logo icon was Grizzly Peak. Nothing is really sitting in that role now that the logo was changed to the Mickey Mouse typeface.

The Sorcerer Mickey Hat has a great film provenance that is well matched to the Disney Studios.
In The Sorcerer's Apprentice it is not Mickey's hat. Instead it is the object of his prideful and impatient desires. Eager to act, Mickey embarks on a ultimately destructive endeavor he cannot control.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom