Is Star Tours 2 a Bust?

rreading

Original Poster
At least in WDW?

I was reading a trip report on a different website with referenced a surprisingly brief wait for the ride - and right now apparently there's only a 24 min wait at this peak hour in a peak season.

Apparently it's doing well in its prominent location in Disneyland. But if it's not doing well, is it: not well done?; poorly advertized and out of the way so people aren't stopping by; or just a series that's gone beyond its expiration date?

flynnibus

Premium Member
At least in WDW?

I was reading a trip report on a different website with referenced a surprisingly brief wait for the ride - and right now apparently there's only a 24 min wait at this peak hour in a peak season.

Apparently it's doing well in its prominent location in Disneyland. But if it's not doing well, is it: not well done?; poorly advertized and out of the way so people aren't stopping by; or just a series that's gone beyond its expiration date?

It's a very high capacity attraction. It's waits will vary anywhere from 5-45mins regularly. It has 50% more capacity here then at DL.

It did what it was supposed to do - reboot a tired attraction that needed a refresh so it will continue eating capacity for another decade plus. It will likely do that.

So no - not a flop.

s8film40

It's not a new attraction, it's just a slightly revamped old 80's style simulator. Now that all the hype is wearing off it's just returning to it's previous status. I would expect that it will continue to be very slightly more popular than the previous version, but I don't think you can expect it to be as popular as something new and innovative would be.

ddbowdoin

It's a very high capacity attraction. It's waits will vary anywhere from 5-45mins regularly. It has 50% more capacity here then at DL.

It did what it was supposed to do - reboot a tired attraction that needed a refresh so it will continue eating capacity for another decade plus. It will likely do that.

So no - not a flop.

AGREED... they can load a great deal of people!

wilkeliza

I thought it was fantastic as well the family that was next to me the last time I rode it.

However, I think much of the general population is uninformed or ill-informed. One guy was very adamant to his party that it was the same exact ride they did two years ago just in 3D. Some believe the rebel spy is the same seat every time, some think only the transmissions change, and even more don't even know that the ride can be different every single time. I did see two little girls who were loving it while the next ride two other girls seemed to hate it so I think it will have a new generation of repeat riders but just like every ride will have a population of people that will not enjoy it at all.

JoeZer

Steampunky Time Lord
I was down in the World this past weekend and got to try out Star Tours 2.0 for the first time. REALLY enjoyed it. The queue for Stand-By did have a bit of a wait now and then...due mainly to the Brazilian tour groups being around. Otherwise, as flynnibus mentioned above, the set-up here in Florida is able to handle larger numbers of people at one time.

I've experienced the original version numerous times and while I enjoyed that one as well, I am quite pleased with the update to the attraction. With the way the "story" is designed, there are 54 different story-element combinations at this time to experience. And...it does help to watch the pre-boarding video if you can catch it as it sets up part of how the story kicks off once you're seated and strapped in.

tirian

No, it's extremely successful. WDW simply has twice the capacity and less of a local fanbase trying to experience all combinations.

rreading

Original Poster
Glad to hear that it's a high capacity ride, and I suspect that it may not be everyone's cup of tea. It is a well-themed area, and certainly while I like Star Wars, I hope that TDO sees a benefit to its improvements.

wolf359

Wait times are not an end-all, be-all indicator of popularity.

As has already been mentioned Star Tours loads very efficiently and especially with this being freshly opened and summer time all of the simulators are in use.

I rode it over a dozen times on my recent trip, and really enjoyed it every time. This was exactly what the update should have been. More importantly, everyone else riding seemed really excited and impressed by the random elements. I hope the positive feedback on this attraction encourages Disney to find more ways to add random-ness to future attractions.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
At least in WDW?

Very highly rated from us
http://www.wdwmagic.com/Attractions...port---Star-Tours-The-Adventures-Continue.htm

Bravo 229

Not a bust at all. I've been on it 13 times and haven't heard a single complaint from anyone walking off - not to say there aren't any, but I've only seen positive reactions from fellow park-goers.

Pioneer Hall

It is doing pretty well...and as others have stated the capacity definitely helps WDW over DL. The attraction is also being marketed pretty well down here in FL. Disney doesn't really do single attraction advertising campaigns outside of the local area. On a national level, people aren't likely to make a trip for one attraction...but locals very well may.

MickeyPeace

I was there for opening week. Got a fast pass and still decided to skip it. Lines were at about 25 min without fast pass.

Its just not my kind of attraction. I don't like simulators. I rode this once before in 2008. It was a walk on attraction. Upon exiting I saw a couple of people laying on benches looking pretty sick.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom