Is Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad too scary for a 5 year old girl?

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
I am planning my fast passes... I got thinking, Is Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad too scary for a 5 year old girl? She's been on roller coasters in smaller theme parks & could most likely handle Seven Dwarf's Train, but not sure about these (as the videos make them look pretty rough/tough).

VTdisneytravel

Original Poster
Yeah, I am really feeling like I shouldn't fast pass these then... My daughter is only 41lbs, so I don't think she'd handle a rough ride that well.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
At least do Splash. The big drop is thrilling, and the height can appear scary at first, but it's over very quickly.

Big Thunder is more intense, but if you want to test that, have the kiddo do Barnstormer. If they can handle that, they probably won't bat an eye at Big Thunder.

My kid's first trip was when she was 5, and that's what I did. I tested her on Barnstormer to see how she'd feel about roller coasters, and worked her up.

But, Splash was a favorite of hers from the moment she saw it and we got soaked on the first ride (something she said for years when she wanted to do Splash "Daddy, lets go get soaked!"

Weather_Lady

My 4-year-old loved Big Thunder Mountain (and she loved Splash until the big drop).

A good rule of thumb (and the one I neglected to follow for Splash) is to show small children Youtube videos of the rides ahead of time, so they can make an informed choice about whether they want to do it.

CAPTAIN HOOK

Is Splash Mountain and Big Thunder Mountain Railroad too scary for a 5 year old girl?
Its not your childs age which is the over-riding factor here - its the demeanor of her. You say that she's done roller coasters, then BTMR should be a breeze for her. Its a bit bouncy but otherwise fine.
Splash is a different proposition. Its well themed with lots of smaller drops. They're no issue and the theming will keep her happy. The big drop may require a bit of hand holding and vocal encouragement, but most kids (mine included) don't have any issues

MotherofaPrincessLover

My daughter was just 5 when she went on both of them and loved them. But with that being said, her favorite ride at MK was Space Mountain. She's kinda a thrill seeker (which is really weird). But I know a lot of 5 year olds that would not enjoy either. If she loves rides, I'm sure she will be fine. If she's hesitant about rides, you're the one to make the best call.

DizneyPryncess

It definitely depends on each child. My daughter is 3, and we're going back for her 4th birthday. She wants to ride Splash Mountain in the worst way (and is already tall enough!) She talks about it every single day, and watches the ride though on YouTube. It could be another story when she sees it in person. I would recommend pulling up some videos on YouTube and showing them to your 5 year old. See what she thinks about them before you make FP+.

popcenturylover

Definitely, depends on the child! My DD6 rode splash at 4, 5 & 6 & loved it! She rode BTMRR at 4 & hasn't rode it since! She absolutely hates it! On our trip last week she rode the Barnstormer 5 times in a row & the Mine train twice. She LOVES both of them! You just have to gauge them, show them the ride & see if they want to ride it. If they start crying or throwing a fit then of course it's a no-go!

HouCuseChickie

I think it depends on the child. My kids loved Big Thunder at that age and I know my younger one was a few pounds lighter than yours and was just fine. She's about 6.5 now, now weighs 48lbs, and was probably 38 lbs on her trip when she rode it the first time (and maybe about 41lbs on the 2nd trip where she rode it). Splash is a different story. They like the ride, but hate that last drop enough to not want to ride it. Which is funny because the older one has ridden Everest and she loves that.

Cosmic Commando

If she's done other coasters, then I don't think BTMRR should be too much of a jump. My hazy memory seems to recall that there's a decent jolt when you're entering the lift hills, so maybe just hold her for those. Otherwise, I don't think it's very rough.

Splash is pretty intimidating from the outside. If she can stand on that bridge that looks out over the big drop and still want to ride, then she'll be fine. Bring a dollar store poncho... she may be willing to ride, but not willing to get wet.

Mouse_Trap

Neither are intense rides at all, I'd think they'd be just fine.

BTMR is no more intense than a kiddie coaster but way better themed.

AnCsMommy

I agree it depends on her wishes and demeanor. We went last year with my (almost) 5 year old and he went on Splash and BTMR and loved both. He was maybe 38lbs at the time. My youngest will be a couple months shy of 4 on our next trip and will finally be at the 40" mark and wild horses couldn't stop him from riding the "big kid" rides. However, I have a nephew who was 6 or 7 and well past that 40 inches before he would brave anything with a height requirement at Disneyland.

lyssehm

I stood my daughter in front of the big drop on Splash when she was about 4 1/2 in order to show her what she was getting into. It is her favorite ride now. We didn't do BTMR with her yet, but that was because I felt unsure about her being on it. I remember riding it with a friend who is bigger than me. The lap bar on that one only goes down as far as the biggest person in the seat and I felt like I was bouncing out of the seat a lot. However, during a recent viewing of the Disneyland Fun Sing-a-long Song dvd, my daughter asked if she was big enough and when she could ride "that" and pointed to BTMR on the screen. We're going to go for it on this next trip with fingers crossed. I have also employed youtube videos in order to gauge her interest (and because it is as close to being in the parks as I can get from home). Sometimes, even a brief explanation of what to expect works well too.

I think Disney's theming helps make those rides less scary also. I wouldn't ride regular roller coasters in places like Six Flags until I was 17, but rode the Disney coasters from about 7 years old on. The choice is up to you, but maybe you should get her input too.
Good luck!

Last edited:

BalooChicago

My son is 6 1/2 and will not do Splash or Big Thunder (he did them once each when younger) my nephew who is just a couple months older loves both.

We did rider swap on BTMRR at DL and it worked out well so my wife and I could ride.

EmmieSue

My five year old niece rode Splash multiple times. It was her second favorite. We rode big thunder once and she did love that one too, but us adults didn't really enjoy how sore we were after riding it. She was fine of course. Lol. Her favorite ride was actually tower or terror and she totally talked some girl probably in her twenties into not chickening out from going on that ride.

Splash is really not scary at all. The big drop is the only "thrill" part and it's over so quick.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom