Is Shanghai Disney Making Us Look Bad?

Chef Mickey

Original Poster
For those of you that have seen the new Pirates ride and the Tron ride, do you feel like this brand new shiny park with new rides is making our beloved WDW look bad?

I have mixed emotions. While it's difficult to compare a 45 year old park to a brand new park, I can't help but think we can and should be doing better. Even our new rides do not look like this, so I'm sad to say I'm even more critical of Iger at this point.

Star Wars needs to be amazing.

Here are the videos I referenced that have been floating around. It's worth your time to watch them. I have considered going to Shanghai later this year just to experience this first hand. My jaw dropped when I saw Pirates.

Pirates:

Tron:

brb1006

The Shanghai version of Peter Pan's Flight puts the WDW version to shame. While the Tron ride is different it is also superior to Space Mountain when it comes to the amount of effects and smoothness of the attraction at least according to some of the videos I've seen of it.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
That version of Pirate's....by god that is EPIC

Of course Shenghai's rides are going to be better than WDW, but by better I should say 'technoglically more advanced".
Epic is such an over used word. Funny how all of the sudden video screens are "epic".

jaklgreen

This kind of makes me mad. Obviously they are capable of making amazing rides but for some reason they have been holding out on doing that at WDW. I mean, look at the new little mermaid ride, its a joke. I think that they think that people will come to WDW no matter what so why put the money and effort into it. WDW should be their "flagship" location that the other parks strive to be. IMO There is no excuse for them going cheap at WDW, especially now that they have shown the amazing things that they can do.

Wendy Pleakley

I'm hopeful the new Avatar or Star Wars attractions will wow us, but I can't get too optimistic.

This is, after all, the company that build an underwhelming Winnie the Pooh ride in California, when they could have amazed So Cal by cloning Hunny Hunt.

Wdw62114

Ill take the three mountains and haunted mansion ANYDAY over whats going in at Shanghai. Plus if you combine all 4 of WDWs parks to just Shanghai, WDW wins by a landslide as far as attractions. I do agree with another poster that the little mermaid is a complete joke and Ill add that 7DMT was a bust for me too. I have a feeling that Pandora is going to be mind blowing with tech and effects. Super excited for it.

Fox&Hound

Hmmmm, interesting topic. I think this new Pirates ride really sets a new standard. Tron- doesn't do it for me. Lots of moments of darkness but maybe you need to ride it.

Do I get jealous? Of Pirates and rides like Mystic Manor. Yes. Do I think SW and Avatar will be on the same par? Yes, I truly do. Does seeing this amazing Pirates video make me think differently about the Mermaid ride (which I have defended and enjoy)? Sadly, yes, it does. You just see what Disney is capable of and think "Let's step up our game in the domestic parks too". I love the classic dark rides but Pirates shows what you can do with technology- not always the same ride of driving by static scenes or AA's. I mean, I do love and appreciate those, but sometimes its fun to think outside the box.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Grief no.

TRON is sixty seconds from launch to brake zone. And one quarter is unthemed outside. Nice tech, poor execution.

Pirates is stunning. If anything it makes management look bad for not bringing something similar to US parks sooner. Same with Mystic. Same with Rat / Pooh. Even Pan.

The park is nice but the attraction roster is lacking. One E+ doesn't make a park.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Pirates at WDW is terrible once you have experienced the alternatives so its hee haww to do with DLS. Tron like mine train is great concept, nice eye candy but too short. Something Disney has been excelling at since Kali river rapids.
WDW suffers from two things, poor maintenance and under investment in new attractions, if they did the latter theycould do the former without turning the half day pars into half hour run throughs. Also we re not all 8 year old girls or menopausal cat ladies can they expand there offerings to cover that.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
It's only making WDW look bad in the fact that any NEW ADDITION to the park's at WDW are really crappy quality to the new attractions at Shanghai.

Otherwise, almost everything is more amazing at Walt Disney World..

216bruce

The Shanghai Pirates has a few nice, really nice, moments in it but I've never been real impressed with video screens in a ride through. They just don't impress me much. The AA's are great and the sets look wonderful. Still not as good as DL's Pirates, which is for me the gold standard.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom