Is Rise of the Resistance worth the hype and stress?

Is Rise of the Resistance worth the hype and stress with VQ?

• Total voters

Miss Bella

I agree with most of what you’re saying, but sadly you are describing a world that doesn’t exist anymore. In the world that we currently live in, you get what you pay for, fair or not.

As for your statement that onsite guests already get enough perks, while you’re certainly entitled to that opinion, there are plenty of people who could reasonably think otherwise. It is what it is.

Regarding your comment about “3 or 4 star accommodations,” people are paying for much more than the actual room itself. They are also paying for things like amenities and location. Taking that into account, I personally have no qualms about paying north of $500 a night to stay in a deluxe resort. I can only speak for myself, but I feel like I’m getting plenty for my money, notwithstanding the fact that I agree that the actual rooms, standing alone, are not worthy of that type of money.

Anyway, like I said before, just my $.02.
Location, location ,location. There’s a lot of crappy beach hotels and rentals houses that get top dollar for location. Location is everything.

As far as the ride goes. Yes!!! It’s worth it. I didn’t find it stressful at all. Just be at the park before 10am.

As far as the

Miss Bella

Anybody that is willing to pay $500 per night for a 3 or 4 star accommodation really doesn't deserve any more perks. They already have to much money whereas many of the day trippers do not. They are not entitled to anything other then the Disney resort experience which is what they are paying for when they check in the resort. The parks are just more easily accessible and they already got a huge jump on Fastpass and ADR's. That is enough. They can even have an easier time getting to rope drop then those that stay offsite, so they have that advantage as well. Those of us that do not stay onsite really don't want to be treated like second class citizens anymore then we all ready are. What made Disney famous was the original first come, first serve setup that existed. We all were treated equally regardless of our financial situation. It was that real escape from the real world that we were after and that is slowly being taken away from us because of entitlement.
A lot of middle class families save up for a year or two to get a premium experience. The notion that they are all filthy rich is ridiculous. It’s called planning, budgeting and saving. They absolutely deserve more than a day guest. That’s how the world works. You get what you pay for. You buy business class on a international flight you get lie flat seats, meals, pajamas, Bose headsets, Unlimited drinks. You buy coach you spend 1/5 the money and you get a cramped seat and bad food. In what world would you expect to be treated the same regardless of what you pay.

Paper straw fan

I have been on it, but I have a friend who put it like this:

“4 days in extreme heat, spent thousands, stood in lines most of the time, was tired, frustrated, and finally after a couple days trying, got a time at the end of the day to ride- so we waited around all day, and I knew deep down that nothing could be worth this amount of time and effort.

And then I rode it- and in hindsight, I would have gone thru even more to experience that. WOW.”

Goofyernmost

I agree with most of what you’re saying, but sadly you are describing a world that doesn’t exist anymore. In the world that we currently live in, you get what you pay for, fair or not.

As for your statement that onsite guests already get enough perks, while you’re certainly entitled to that opinion, there are plenty of people who could reasonably think otherwise. It is what it is.

Regarding your comment about “3 or 4 star accommodations,” people are paying for much more than the actual room itself. They are also paying for things like amenities and location. Taking that into account, I personally have no qualms about paying north of $500 a night to stay in a deluxe resort. I can only speak for myself, but I feel like I’m getting plenty for my money, notwithstanding the fact that I agree that the actual rooms, standing alone, are not worthy of that type of money.

Anyway, like I said before, just my $.02.
Yes, but it is a world that can exist isn't it?

Enough perks? Yes, more then enough. I already stated that the price was for the "added" experience that apparently is worth a lot of money to some, just not to me. I'm pretty sure that for $200.00 per night I can get the same amount of amenities offsite (and have). The idea of sleeping onsite I just don't find to be an amenity. I feel like a prisoner in those resorts. They either enticed me to use the prison bus from the airport, effectively locking me in at that point. Forced me to decide what I want to eat 6 months ahead of time, causing me to spend even more money for food, etc. and even if I drive they now have the audacity to change me per night to park my car at the place that I am already paying north of $500.00 per night. Nope, sorry.. none of that appeals to me. But like you said to some it is worth it. To me? Not even close to tempting.

Please do not misinterpret this as arguing the point. What you feel is good is no business of mine. I'm just trying to explain why I feel the way I do and just like you we cannot always pass our opinions along to others. As long as you are enjoying yourself and you can afford the cost, who am I to find fault with your decision?

Goofyernmost

A lot of middle class families save up for a year or two to get a premium experience. The notion that they are all filthy rich is ridiculous. It’s called planning, budgeting and saving. They absolutely deserve more than a day guest. That’s how the world works. You get what you pay for. You buy business class on a international flight you get lie flat seats, meals, pajamas, Bose headsets, Unlimited drinks. You buy coach you spend 1/5 the money and you get a cramped seat and bad food. In what world would you expect to be treated the same regardless of what you pay.
You are assuming that I do not have the available money to participate. I do, but I choose not too. For what the Premium experience costs I can go twice and stay at my favorite hotels, something that I find a lot of fun rather then one that I will be thinking about how much money I am spending instead of the experience itself. Having done both, I can assure you that I have never felt the need to spend that much to sleep someplace.

In regards to couch vs. whatever else is available. When you get off that plane that just took all of you to the same place, at the same time, do you get access to anything else. Do you wear a badge that says you paid extra for the flight so I should be able to not have to wait to be seated at a table or should be given guided tours of places simply because you paid the airline more then those stiffs behind you in "coach". You do get what you paid for. In your example you paid for first class accommodations on an airplane and that is what you got. Nothing else was passed forward to you because of that. The same applies to our discussion. You have paid for whatever accommodation you used and for that you go the "alleged" submersion in that part of the show, but when you left that resort you paid basically the same amount to get into the park that everyone else does. Those lower forms of life, like myself, did not pay for your resort amenities and therefore we don't get them. You didn't pay any extra to get into the parks (a completely different department. Resorts vs. Parks) so why should you receive special treatment other then what you already got such as early choices of Fasspasses or ADR's. Again it all boils down to our own needs when deciding whether or not to stay in Disney jail. I find no need since I am going to be spending my day in the parks. That is what I go there to experience to begin with. You want more, you pay for more and only those of you that spend that much are going to experience that. Whatever floats your boat, just don't think that you should be able to lump those two different experiences into being one. They are not!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Okay, Yoda. You ranked Rockin' Roller Coaster over Rise of the Resistance.
Yep...because one has been there for 21 years and uses physics and one is a sim and has been open for less than 21 weeks.

New ride may be great...characters Aren’t but the ride appears to be good...

But you dismissing tower and RNRC is patently ridiculous for what I would guess is a significant majority of customers.

Enjoy mine train and enchanted stories with belle👍🏻

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Yep...because one has been there for 21 years and uses physics
It's a roller coaster painted black put into a box, also painted black on the inside... With cutouts of glow in the dark signs.. A coaster which can also be found at another park outdoors.

If we're talking age as being a requirement for best rides of all time... Then Ellen's Energy Adventure and the current incarnation of Imagination must be GENIUS.

Also, personally, I'd definitely put Space Mountain above Rockin'. Sure, it has no launch shoot, but there's still physics. And its older. ;-) Definitely #1 attraction of all time.

MickeyLuv'r

It is also one of the reasons we’re probably going to stay at the S&D so we can get to the park (walk) without any complications.

That's where I stayed as well. Being able to walk over was definitely a bonus, and I kinda like the S&D.

We didn't queue all that much before the opening of the park- you just have to be inside the park to get a BG. You don't have to be inside the gate for LONG before the park opens. I'm sure we allowed a margin in case security was slow, but as long as you are past the entrance and logged in to the app, you're good. The important part is being all logged in and ready to go, not how much before RD you arrive.

While waiting, I headed toward RNRC, and that was a good choice. I quickly rode it twice after getting a BG.

MickeyLuv'r

Ahh thanks. Went right over my head! :D

While resorts guests can often ride it, they aren't promised a boarding group, or anything close to a promise.

As opposed to say, resort guests being able to pre-book 3 FP before they arrive. (Even then WDW never exactly promises you'll get to use the FP, but usually having a FP = getting on the ride in a timely manner. There's always fine print somewhere that says park hours/attractions/fireworks aren't guaranteed.)

I think that's what he was trying to say. If one is paying onsite prices, it ought to come with a special Rise perk. Like it would be awesome if staying onsite= a Rise FP, or even being able to get a BG from the comfort of your hotel room.

Unfortunately, the ride isn't all that reliable, or at least it wasn't in the before times.

TheX8

While resorts guests can often ride it, they aren't promised a boarding group, or anything close to a promise.

As opposed to say, resort guests being able to pre-book 3 FP before they arrive. (Even then WDW never exactly promises you'll get to use the FP, but usually having a FP = getting on the ride in a timely manner. There's always fine print somewhere that says park hours/attractions/fireworks aren't guaranteed.)

I think that's what he was trying to say. If one is paying onsite prices, it ought to come with a special Rise perk. Like it would be awesome if staying onsite= a Rise FP, or even being able to get a BG from the comfort of your hotel room.

Unfortunately, the ride isn't all that reliable, or at least it wasn't in the before times.

I think RotR is Disney's best ride ever. Definitely deserving of some planning.

Now I don't understand why people feel certain entitlement because they are staying on property. Are they forgetting that the perks and amenities of staying on an on property resort has been relayed to them through the website?

There in black and white states the benefits of staying in a Disney hotel and I'm assuming pre-Covid nowhere in that page it states "ability to get on any ride you want." What they are paying the premium price for is the luxury. It's like buying a Mercedes vs a Toyota. You will feel pampered and given a good service if you purchase a Mercedes. But you are limited to the laws that just because you drive a Mercedes you can't drive it however you want. You have the same level of treatment if you'd drive a Toyota.

A good perk of staying onsite is the fact that if you are tired you won't have to drive to your hotel. Let the bus do that.

dave&di

That's where I stayed as well. Being able to walk over was definitely a bonus, and I kinda like the S&D.

We didn't queue all that much before the opening of the park- you just have to be inside the park to get a BG. You don't have to be inside the gate for LONG before the park opens. I'm sure we allowed a margin in case security was slow, but as long as you are past the entrance and logged in to the app, you're good. The important part is being all logged in and ready to go, not how much before RD you arrive.

While waiting, I headed toward RNRC, and that was a good choice. I quickly rode it twice after getting a BG.
That great advice, thanks! I don’t really do apps on my phone so that‘ll be another worry! 😂

MickeyLuv'r

I think RotR is Disney's best ride ever. Definitely deserving of some planning.

Now I don't understand why people feel certain entitlement because they are staying on property. Are they forgetting that the perks and amenities of staying on an on property resort has been relayed to them through the website?

There in black and white states the benefits of staying in a Disney hotel and I'm assuming pre-Covid nowhere in that page it states "ability to get on any ride you want." What they are paying the premium price for is the luxury. It's like buying a Mercedes vs a Toyota. You will feel pampered and given a good service if you purchase a Mercedes. But you are limited to the laws that just because you drive a Mercedes you can't drive it however you want. You have the same level of treatment if you'd drive a Toyota.

A good perk of staying onsite is the fact that if you are tired you won't have to drive to your hotel. Let the bus do that.

I think perhaps you quoted the wrong person. I explained another person's post, stated I stayed at a non WDW hotel, then said attractions aren't guaranteed to onsite guests.

Though I gather you're opposed to Universal Studios' offering Express Pass to their customers as an onsite perk at 3 of their hotels?
And WDW offering the free food promotion to their customers?
And only some WDW hotels having hot tubs?

(Not that this has anything to do with Rise being worth the effort.)

MickeyLuv'r

That great advice, thanks! I don’t really do apps on my phone so that‘ll be another worry! 😂
In another thread...you talked about getting a smartphone for your trip. More or less, if you get smartphone, it comes with some apps. pre-installed. Adding new ones is easy, I'm sure someone can show you when you buy the phone, as there are a few you'll likely want to add.

Adding the Disney app is easy, and if you are getting a phone for WDW, absolutely one you'll want to add.

3-D

As a huge Star Wars fan, I felt that ROTR was a disappointment...mainly due to the process of getting on it. It kind of puts any other plans you have for the day on hold and I also wasn’t a fan of the way it’s set up. Too much moving/running around in groups (after the whole virtual queue process they actively encourage everyone to RUSH onto the getaway ship and people just push and jockey for position which is annoying — this behavior shouldn’t be encouraged IMO). Also thought the live castmembers were a little hokey. Obviously it’s a very impressive ride on a technical level but I came away sort of MEH on it. I also wish it had been based on the original trilogy rather than the sequels — and I do enjoy the sequels more than most — but it would have been more enjoyable/iconic if it was Darth Vader and the Emperor instead of Kylo Ren.

I saw more upset people than happy people the day I rode it because it was one of those days where it only functioned for like four hours of the day with long gaps of no one getting on.

Honestly enjoyed MFSR more than ROTR.

dave&di

In another thread...you talked about getting a smartphone for your trip. More or less, if you get smartphone, it comes with some apps. pre-installed. Adding new ones is easy, I'm sure someone can show you when you buy the phone, as there are a few you'll likely want to add.

Adding the Disney app is easy, and if you are getting a phone for WDW, absolutely one you'll want to add.
Thanks for this! I think my main worry is bring a network from the UK, I’ve had advice on that thread regarding ’data’ and ‘roaming’ (I think I’ve used the right terms!). If all this was for a park in the UK I’d probably be more confident!

gerarar

Premium Member
I’ve only ridden it twice (could’ve had a third but they stopped calling groups 2 more before mine! Stopped at BG 134 while mine was 136). But it’s totally worth the hype and wait. It’s such an amazing experience, won’t even call it a ride.

I’ve been watching almost every single ROTR video that gets uploaded to YouTube now. Guess that makes me an addict!!:p

Fsunolekrw

If you want to feel like you’ve been dropped right in the middle of one of the large battle scenes from one of the Star Wars movies and therefore get to live the experience it is definitely worth it. Best attraction on property.

Raineman

There seems to be so much stress and anxiety behind securing a spot in the virtual queue with many people struggling to even get it after multiple tries. For those that have ridden it, is all the stress, anxiety, and effort you have to put in to just possibly have a chance at riding really worth it? Does the ride live up to the hype or does the process put a damper on it? Has the complexity of the VQ with the reliability of the ride just too much?

Personally, it's a great ride, but at this time, it's not worth the process just to hopefully get a chance.
I would never use the word “stress” to describe anything at a theme park. Social unrest, money problems, family problems-those do cause stress. If anything at a theme park causes anyone stress, they might want to move on to other forms of entertainment.

I just wish that Disney's "best ride of all time" was literally anything other than Star Wars... God I hate star wars.

I get its popularity, though.
If you replace Star Wars with Harry Potter, I have the same feelings. I don’t get the Potter hype, never have. Having said that, the fandom for both are very similar in their obsessiveness and defensiveness.

MickeyLuv'r

If anything at a theme park causes anyone stress, they might want to move on to other forms of entertainment.

Oh, I don't know. Rare, but:

1. Six Flags Texas: 2013- passenger flung from seat on the Giant, fell to 75 feet to her death.
2. Oakwood: 2004 - Passenger fell from her seat while riding a water roller coaster, died. rider operators failed to check restraints.
3. Slitterbahn Waterpark - decapitation
4. Daytona: 2018 - Sandblaster car derailed, 2 passenger were flung 34 feet, and 8 others injured
5. Six flags GA: 1984 - Haunted Mansion fair, attraction had no sprinkler or easy emergency exit, 8 people burned to death
6. Disneyland: 2003 - car came off the track, 1 person died, 10 injured.
7. Disneyland- boy trapped under a car

And these are just a few accidents that have happened. Members of my family have personally witnessed rather 3 serious accidents. The first two involved fatal attraction ride malfunctions that lead to fatalities. One was very many years ago, but it is the kind of thing you never forget.

The third was a time I witnessed a woman with an infant in a baby carrier take a nasty spill on the pavement in Epcot. I didn't see the actual fall, as I was too far away, just the immediate aftermath. Kudos to WDW, paramedics swooped in immediately. My interpretation was that she missed when stepping off a curb. Instead of bracing her own fall, she braced/protected her baby. It appeared she successfully protected the baby, but badly injured herself in the process.

Clearly that could have happened anywhere, but I still picture it every time we walk through that area, and that was 10 years ago.

I was also going to post another ride malfunction I read about where nobody was badly injured, but people were trapped nearly upside down on a coaster for hours before they could be rescued. I also happened to ride Splash the day before someone was killed on it.

I'm also forever wary of large bounce houses, especially outdoors. Not exactly an amusement ride, but they are notorious. A quick search and you'll find lots of photos.

I dunno, to me 'stress' = a traffic jam when I'm late. More or less, we regularly live with stress. I wouldn't go to theme park if I felt overly traumatized, but I also would never go to an amusement park without being aware of my surroundings either. I try to be cognizant of emergency exits, and take a moment to make sure my seatbelts appear properly latched. that level of awareness.

Sorry for the rant, I just think it is smart to be aware theme parks do pose a little bit of risk.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom