Is late August hotter than July?

Slippin' Falls

Original Poster
Hey guys. I'm goin to WDW for the first time in August from 8/23 - 9/1. Every other time I have been to WDW it has been sometime in July. I was just curious of the late August heat as I expected it might not be as hot in late August as in July since summer is drawing towards an end. However someone told me it is more hot and humid in late August than in July. Just wanted to know your opinions on the heat.

Debbie

Hot is hot. July and August are just that. I don't know where you are from; but if you are not acclimated to heat, it can really take a toll on you. There isn't much of a 'feel' difference between a 98 degree heat indice and 105 heat indice. The humidity is high and after a typical rain shower; imagine a steam bath. Sometimes, September gets a little relief, not often and I've been in October when it was 90 degrees.
Just be prepared, know what you are getting into, and just know, that in these hot, summer months, it's still in the 80's after dark.

LouDisney

I agree with Debbie. July and August are just that...hot.
I am from the south and I am used to the heat and humidity, but that is not the case for everyone. Just be prepared.

drp4video

We go in AUgust almost every year, and I laugh, cuz the weather is about the same in Michigan right now as it is in WDW in AUgust...We have been in the 80's and 90's with very high humidity.

Right now it is 12:20 a.m. in Michigan, and it is 79 degrees with 80 % humdity.

It's always hot here! :lol: Well, it seems like it is....
I moved here in July 2004, moved into my apt in August and have had the A/C on 95% of the time (until it broke over July 4th).

I get sinus headaches if I overheat, so I have a big problem being outside. Drink plenty of water, go in & out of the a/c, etc. Someone gave a tip about carrying a cool pack, one of those kind that you snap & shake & it's a cold compress for 20-30 minutes.

Just be prepared. Enjoy your visit!! :cool:

Number_6

drp4video said:
We go in AUgust almost every year, and I laugh, cuz the weather is about the same in Michigan right now as it is in WDW in AUgust...We have been in the 80's and 90's with very high humidity.

I was going to say something similar. Looking at the weather lately, it's been just as hot, if not hotter across most of the country. If you can deal with it where you are now, you'll be fine by the time you get down here.

Nemo14

Number_6 said:
I was going to say something similar. Looking at the weather lately, it's been just as hot, if not hotter across most of the country. If you can deal with it where you are now, you'll be fine by the time you get down here.
I told my DH this morning that we should fly down to FL to cool off!

DisneyFine

Slippin' Falls said:
Hey guys. I'm goin to WDW for the first time in August from 8/23 - 9/1. Every other time I have been to WDW it has been sometime in July. I was just curious of the late August heat as I expected it might not be as hot in late August as in July since summer is drawing towards an end. However someone told me it is more hot and humid in late August than in July. Just wanted to know your opinions on the heat.

Actually, its quite funny seeing Floridians in the winter cause they have their winter coats on, and long pants, and then when our plane enters the gate they stare at us cause we are waring shorts and t-shirts! But yes July is the hottest of them all, but August is not far behind! 8 more days for me!!:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

miles1

Nemo14 said:
I told my DH this morning that we should fly down to FL to cool off!

I was just thinking the same thing. It's 3:00Pm here in Conn, and the digital thermometer in our back yard (in the shade) reads 102.4! The dew point is currently 77 degrees. I can't wait the three more weeks until we go to Florida to cool off.

pluto77

drp4video said:

I'm from Michigan too, I was wondering if it may be hotter here than it is in Florida this week. :lol: It's like 97 right now, and the other day they said the heat index was at 110 degrees. :eek: It's funny how that works, in the winter it falls to the negatives, but in the summer I think it gets to be just as hot as Florida sometimes, and, like Florida, MI is also a peninsula so we're not spared from the humidity either. :cry: I don't mind the heat as much as some people though.

typhoonguy

I'm from Michigan too, I was wondering if it may be hotter here than it is in Florida this week. :lol: It's like 97 right now, and the other day they said the heat index was at 110 degrees. :eek: It's funny how that works, in the winter it falls to the negatives, but in the summer I think it gets to be just as hot as Florida sometimes, and, like Florida, MI is also a peninsula so we're not spared from the humidity either. :cry: I don't mind the heat as much as some people though.
Keep in mind however that the sun is much more powerful here and can make 100 Degrees feel hotter than what it would in say ohio or new york. Also, those areas, the lows on hot days usually dip into the low 80s and high 70s. Where as here a low is typically mid-80s during the summer.

drp4video

I know, but people in Michigan always look at me like I am crazy when I tell them I got to WDW in AUgust. THey always ask me how I can stand the heat!...hahahahahahaha

MicheleK

Hot is hot............July or August, it's the same. We just got back from WDW and at 11:00pm it was still 86º. Sweat was dripping down my back while watching Wishes :eek:. My friends say the same thing "how can you go to Florida in the summer!?" My answer is it's just as hot (if not hotter) here in the summer, so I'd rather be in Disney having a blast than working here. :)

Seemba

August 2007 - First Timer

Oh boy . . . we are planning our honeymoon to be at Disney (my first time), the week of Auguest 12th, 2007. If this thread is any indication, we're in for a hot one.

What's the rain like in August? I've heard that it can rain every day. . . are they usually afternoon showers, or are they the kind of all day deluges that ruin vacations. . . ?

The Mom

Premium Member
It depends, because you're entering real hurricane season. (It officially starts June 1st, but historically things don't really get going until August)

August is hot. It's as if you're asking if it will be cold in Minnesota in January. Yes. How cold? If you're from Florida, colder than you ever want it to be. :lol:

Basically, it will be tolerable (but not cool) right after sunrise, with things starting to get unbearable by noon. I highly suggest that you plan an afternoon shower and nap, along with a change of clothes. Head on back after 4, when the sun isn't as intense. If it rains (which is likely) it may or may not cool things down...and cool is a relative term. It depends upon the direction of the storm.

So, plan on getting to the parks early, taking a break from the heat at noontime or so, and going back and staying late...knowing you can take that nap later.

maryt01

august weather

june thru oct are hot at wdw. we bring hand held fans for waiting in lines. there is also abandana sold at sorting good stores thAT can be refrigerated. thake them to the parks and then tie it around your neck. it actually helps. when bandana gets warm, you can wet it with cold water and it still help keep you cool. do not buy the fans with water bottle sprayers. they are akward and heavy. enjoy your trip. dec is a great weather month, it is not too hot nor too cold. besides the parks are magically decorated for christmas. enjoy your trip either way! wdw dining plan is a must!

Eric2255

Hot is hot............July or August, it's the same. We just got back from WDW and at 11:00pm it was still 86º. Sweat was dripping down my back while watching Wishes :eek:. My friends say the same thing "how can you go to Florida in the summer!?" My answer is it's just as hot (if not hotter) here in the summer, so I'd rather be in Disney having a blast than working here. :)
It is not just as hot in northern states! Florida is a sub tropical/tropical climate, the same cannot be said for northern states. You are crazy if you think Michigan or any other Northern State is as hot as it is in Florida during the summer. The thing you are forgetting is the sun down here is 10 times more brutal compare to up north. Your lake water never gets above 70° in the summertime. The ocean water down here gets so dang hot because of our climate. If it was truly that hot in Michigan the Great Lakes would warm up

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom