Is it worth watching the Avatar movies before I go to Disney?

miggymouz

Original Poster
I've never had an interest in Avatar, but is it necessary to know what's going on to fully enjoy the experience?

The Pho

It’s not necessary at all. The film and the land are separate from each other apart from the setting. The land can very much be fully enjoyed independently.

MinnieM123

Premium Member
I've never had an interest in Avatar, but is it necessary to know what's going on to fully enjoy the experience?

Last year, I watched the movie about a week before I went to see Pandora - The World of Avatar. For me, it gave me a point of reference when I went on FOP and Na'vi River Journey. Regardless, I also think that you would still enjoy both, even if you did not have a chance to see the movie beforehand.

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
If you have seen Pocahontas or Dances with Wolves or Ferngully, you've already seen the story done better.

After seeing Avatar in IMAX 3D, I told my wife the movie was like a Disney ride. The story is horrible, trite and tired, but the cinematography was beautiful.

Spare yourself the preaching and enjoy the land for the incredible achievement it is. You could always read a synopsis online if you want a frame of reference, but it really isn't needed.

sedati

I say watch it (Extended Edition) even if you're not going to DAK. But take my opinion with a grain of salt as I am clearly the only person on earth who liked the movie.

Cmdr_Crimson

It’s not necessary at all. The film and the land are separate from each other apart from the setting. The land can very much be fully enjoyed independently.
But, haven't they stated that it is taking place several years after the accounts of the first film?

Tom Morrow

I experienced the land without having seen the film, and I loved it, it became one of my top lands. I recently actually watched the film and it actually didn't add too much to my enjoyment of the land, though I thought it was decent. I might go as far as to say that the land might be better without having seen the film because with no frame of reference, it truly feels like stepping into and exploring an alien world and you never feel like you're missing out on details.

But, haven't they stated that it is taking place several years after the accounts of the first film?
According to the FoP preshow, "over a generation ago".

Tick Tock

Avatar 2 Travel of the To’lekkons was alright, and Avatar 4 The Final Battle was the best movie in the series. But do not watch Avatar 3 Vessel Flute Of the Fourth Dimension! All the Na’vis do in that film is telling Jake Sully to “Hey Listen!” Worst movie of all time 7.5/10
I agree with most of this, except the 4th one. I thought the CGI was a little weak, and didn't particularly care for it switching genres to a musical 3/4 into the story without explanation.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
Nope, not a bit. You'd be better served watching a documentary about 60's counter culture hippies. It's a thin veneer of story they've applied.

Sharon&Susan

Leaked photo from set of the next Avatar movie:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom