Is it worth shipping food staples to a resort?

mdcpr

Hi - I’ve seen a few messages about people shipping food items to resorts so they are ready by the the time they arrive. Is this really worth it, cost-wise?

We’re staying st the WL for 5 days. Should I consider shipping bottles of water, cereal, snacks instead of relying on their local on-site market? Are the prices that different?

It’s our first time at WL so we don’t know what’s available.

homerdance

We have done lots of different things, we used to stop on the way since we always had a car from the airport. But we found that to be a waste of time, so we started doing various delivery services. We used garden grocer, and had good luck with them, except it felt like they were doing us a favor buy letting us pay them to shop for us. The last two times we used Walmart delivery in Orlando and Shipt from Target. I personally liked the Shipt better, walmart was cheaper.

All of that being said, we only have things delivered as some of our "staples" are not available on Disney Property. Really not staples, but things we drink at home that aren't offered on Disney Property, such as Dt. Mt. Dew for the wife. Every year we buy less and less as we really don't spend much time in our room except late night and early morning. We found the time we spend in our room is not spent eating, getting to much food is just wasteful.

Upvote 0

Janir

How come you didn't like Garden Grocer? We're flying to Orlando from NYC and we're not renting a car, so I was thinking of ordering from them. While I always fly with first aid kits, I'm concerned there will not be early breakfast foods ready since we're planning to hit the parks early every morning. We're not into heavy breakfasts early in the morning, so I was looking into getting bagels, muffins, yogurt...that we can keep in the room. On top of that, my son is gluten-free so I need to be really prepared. In addition, water. My family does not drink soda, but drink water like camels.
Get some water bottles or something that can filter water. Florida is a swamp with nasty water. In park free water will still taste nasty even from the quick service. I'm planning on getting some water and soda delivered from Amazon Prime Now for our upcoming trip and some snacks and breakfast foods. And some baggies for loose ice in coolers. Hopefully park security will be alright with that. I'll get smaller bags that are easy to see into each with out having to root around in the baggie.

Upvote 0

Moana76

In the Parks
No
Get some water bottles or something that can filter water. Florida is a swamp with nasty water. In park free water will still taste nasty even from the quick service. I'm planning on getting some water and soda delivered from Amazon Prime Now for our upcoming trip and some snacks and breakfast foods. And some baggies for loose ice in coolers. Hopefully park security will be alright with that. I'll get smaller bags that are easy to see into each with out having to root around in the baggie.
Yes, small baggies of ice will work fine through security. I did this for my trip in April.

Upvote 0

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

Let's take a worst case approach... you arrive with NOTHING, grab a Cab TO Local Market, buy a boatload of food, then Cab BACK to Resort....

Cab fee's? About $50 total, to & from. Food Cost? Compare something like WALMART, to everything else. Subtract any delivery or shipping costs....

We have never done this sort of thing.... just a calculation framework for you. Ordering food for delivery may still be cheaper, but I would not ASSUME that it is cheaper :).

Upvote 0

MickeyCB

Love Garden Grocer. We are DVC members and for both small and large trips we order from them. We get the gamut from snacks, cold stuffs, wine etc. In all of our times of ordering we have never had a missing item.

Upvote 0

clarabellej

Hi - I’ve seen a few messages about people shipping food items to resorts so they are ready by the the time they arrive. Is this really worth it, cost-wise?

We’re staying st the WL for 5 days. Should I consider shipping bottles of water, cereal, snacks instead of relying on their local on-site market? Are the prices that different?

It’s our first time at WL so we don’t know what’s available.
It may be worth it for some, but I’ve never felt the need. I don’t find Disney QS places to be that expensive in the parks and in our case, that is where we spend all our time. I drink tons of free water offered in the parks. We often split meals. Portions are generous. I just don’t find the need for food in the room and I never carry it into the parks. You can save a bundle by not booking dining/character meals. They are fun, but honestly way over priced and kids often don’t eat well. They even make me a little nervous/all the keeping track of where the characters are and having the autograph books open and ready and the camera/phone. There are tons of character opportunities outside of these pricey meals. Also don’t buy Disney extras, dessert parties, etc. I know you are talking about food/drink delivery to your room, but that just got me thinking about other ways to save. Disney was offering opting out of Mousekeeping, not sure if they still do that. That was awesome. I received a $60 gift card that I used to purchase a super cute Disney Parks Pandora charm at Uptown Jewelers on Main Street.

Upvote 0

Bartledvd

We just use uber/lyft to publix/target/walmart depending on what we want it’s less than $20 each way including a good tip and when it comes to getting perishable items like fruit or vegetables we can make sure we pick the best/freshest options ourselves. Savings pay for the trip if you just buy breakfast items for a few days vs buying from any park or resort.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom