Is it worth ? (Holiday season)

MDB12

Hello

I need your opinion!

1: FIRST DW trip !! 2 adult 2 high schooler from California
2: planning to go during school winter break this year.
3: 7days to spend at parks

Total coast for Air tickets, official hotels, park tickets will be about $15,000. ( not includes foods and shopping )

I guess end up I costs $20,000 total.

Question!!
Is it worth to spend that much ?

( we don't want to go when weather is hot, we can't go when kids have school)

MDB12

Original Poster
A couple of thoughts as I can commiserate with some of your planning concerns.

I do not sleep well with all of us in a single room. It is what drove us to try the 1 bedroom villas in the past. A separate room for mom and dad, a roll out bed and sleeper chair in most of the living rooms. (You will need to make sure that is the configuration as your son wants to sleep separately).
The 1 bedroom villas have a washer and dryer.
Some of the 1 bedrooms have 2 baths, some do not. (I love having 2 bathrooms).
I love the full kitchens. We have grocery delivery and while I refuse to cook on vacation it is wonderful to have some snacks, drinks etc. available.

I absolutely hate changing hotel rooms. Ex. if you are checking in on Monday, you are packing up Tuesday night and have to have your luggage transferred to your next place the next morning (and I was told they will no longer transfer cold items from your fridge, they used to). You are then homeless till your check in time at the next place.

Also, each of those 3 resorts are separate reservations and you can only book your dining at the 60 day mark for the first check in, then 60 day mark for the next, etc. If you are only in 2 you can at least book half of your trip at 60 days, then the rest. If you only stay in one place you can book all of your reservations for the length of your trip (up to 10 days).

Regarding the travel time to and from parks, we use Uber heavily lately. It depends on how tired we are, crowd levels etc.

It is a lot of money, but sadly not unheard of. If you can swing it, get one of the nicer rooms/villas. You will have a full kitchen, more space and a balcony which is a must for me. Nothing like coffee in the morning on the balcony or a sip of vino in the evening! 🤣
As the poster above said, there are people who are Disney Vacation Club members who rent their points so you could get a villa much cheaper, but it might be a little complicated for a first time trip.

Have a wonderful time, whatever you end up doing!

Yes it's very nice to stay at 1bedroom villa that has sofa bed in living room, and Washer/dryer( IMPORTANT!)
Just wondering looking at map of The Villa at Grand Floridian, It seems like boat stop is not so close.
I hope monorail is close. I don't want to be tired already to just get to monorail/boat stop in the morning🤣

Oh no , I won't cook at Disney trip that's for sure 😂
I travel a lot but I just don't empty my luggage if I won't stay long at one place, then pack up in the morning won't be so difficult.

I thought I can make all dining reservations at the 60 days mark from first check in date even I stay at 3 resorts but
I have to double check .

Thank you for your reply !!

Upvote 0

aliceismad

Yes it's very nice to stay at 1bedroom villa that has sofa bed in living room, and Washer/dryer( IMPORTANT!)
Just wondering looking at map of The Villa at Grand Floridian, It seems like boat stop is not so close.
I hope monorail is close. I don't want to be tired already to just get to monorail/boat stop in the morning🤣

Oh no , I won't cook at Disney trip that's for sure 😂
I travel a lot but I just don't empty my luggage if I won't stay long at one place, then pack up in the morning won't be so difficult.

I thought I can make all dining reservations at the 60 days mark from first check in date even I stay at 3 resorts but
I have to double check .

Thank you for your reply !!
If distance to your room is a big consideration, you could get an idea of distances using Touring Plans' room finder tool.

Also if walking is difficult, have you considered renting a scooter?

Upvote 0

MDB12

Original Poster
If you're eligible for MWR tickets, are you eligible for Shades of Green? That would save a lot of money, and it's very close to Magic Kingdom. Obviously it would require transport to the other parks, but via bus it is not a long trip.

(Personally we often take a mid-day rest and don't walk 20K steps a day either. Bus to park in the morning, enjoy the Park through lunch, bus back to hotel, pool time, bus back to park to enjoy dinner and evening.)
Yes we are eligible for Shade of Green but It's all booked.
I had check it out months ago I think.

My husband and kids keep playing all day so only I will go back to rest. I hope I won't get lost, seriously🤣
Then probably I don't feel like going back to the park anymore😆

Thank you for your info !

Upvote 0

MDB12

Original Poster
If distance to your room is a big consideration, you could get an idea of distances using Touring Plans' room finder tool.

Also if walking is difficult, have you considered renting a scooter?

what a usual tool ! I just tried and choose 7min or less for " walking distance for transportation" then I got zero result 😅

Then after I changed to 11 min or less, all rooms are hit😂
I guess it takes at least 10 min from all rooms in Villas.

Renting a scooter !! I have not tried a scooter in my life (since I am like a princess 🤣)
I will need practice though my kids will enjoy doing it.

Upvote 0

MDB12

Original Poster
It's close, but you don't walk to Animal Kingdom. You have to ride a bus. Unlike Disneyland, walking from hotel to any Park is somewhat unusual. Disney busses are the primary transportation from hotel to parks.
I got it ! As long as bus stop is CLOSE from my room it's ok !! Sometimes bus/monorail/boat rides are easier that walking !!

Upvote 0

MDB12

Original Poster
First, your idea of "walking distance" and someone else's (especially WDW's) may be completely different, and is likely to change/shorten as your trip progresses. If you really are trying to avoid walking a ton, staying at one of the smaller resorts and/or in a Preferred room could help with that. Be warned that the moderate resorts are generally large or spread out (or both) and even a "Preferred Room" may not save you much walking there (looking at you, CSR). There is a reason my family adopted the saying, "My feet hurt like Disney." You're correct that one or two days of that much walking is not likely to be a big deal, but beyond three or four, you're gonna feel it. Totally worth it though. 💯 Every. Time.

My family of five loved the theming and convenience of POR but did not enjoy the lack of both at CSR and will never stay there again. (Many others swear by CSR and will stay there every time if given a choice). We adored the Lion King Suite at AoA we stayed in on our first trip because it had a bedroom with king bed, two full baths, and both a fold out couch plus a table for four that converted to a murphy bed as well as a kitchenette. AoA is a value resort and if you're wanting to avoid a lot of small kids it might not be a good fit. I would definitely encourage you to take a look at the family suites in the values, though. The theming is FANTASTIC and AoA does have a Skyliner station. AKL has wonderful theming as well and we have absolutely loved visiting when we've had dinner reservations there. Our next trip we'll be staying at BC (or possibly YC) as both are walking distance to IG of Epcot and have boats to access HS, though IG at EPCOT has the Skyliner, which we can also use to access HS. Neither has particularly delightful "Disney" theming from what I've seen (again, dinner reservation), but they are both themed well for what they are intended to be. I cannot give any input on GF as I've never visited nor stayed at that resort.

Research carefully the fold down beds as most are smaller than a regular twin bed. Assuming your son is a typically-sized senior boy he will likely be uncomfortable on one of these. If he is taller or built larger than typical, he will almost certainly not be comfortable. Though inflatable beds can be heavy, he could very well be more comfortable on one of those, depending on what the room has available. As long as you don't exceed the room occupancy (shouldn't be an issue with just three of you) having an inflatable mattress isn't an issue, by my understanding.

Last I heard, WDW was not moving luggage between hotels for split stays. If that hasn't changed, please consider that staying at three resorts means two transfers between them and may result in significant time and hassle getting everything moved from one to the next. As others have done, I would recommend no more than two hotels for that short a stay, but ymmv.

Buses can be a VERY long walk from the park entrances and the bays the different hotels are assigned sometimes change, so there is no hard and fast rule re: which resort will have the closest bus stop at the park. My least favorite part of visiting WDW is leaving the park and realizing our bus stop is the furthest away, which seems to happen more often than not. We have had to wait for subsequent busses more often at a AoA, but we also had to wait a few times at POR and at CSR. During the Holidays I think it is likely you will have to wait for another bus more than once, both going to and especially coming back from the parks.

One more thing I always recommend for WDW: Bring at least two pairs of good walking shoes for each person. Popup showers are common and overnight is NOT long enough for tennis shoes to dry out in your room. If you have a laundry drying it probably would be nbd, but using a hair dryer to get them dry enough to use the next day is a stinky, stinky nightmare. 🤮😂

I wish my room in BW inn has washer/dryer then I would give up on extra space and cancel Animal kingdom villa.

We are 4 of us and my son is a typically sized senior so he will fits on whatever in the living room :D

I think I just bring luggages to bell desk for split stay so it will be ok.. but if bell desk is faraway and crowded then it won't be ok 🤣

I feel I got 3 years older just planning this trip😂

Thank you for telling me how much dryer is important for shoes 🤣

Upvote 0

Gaston's gal

Thank you for the reply !

I only booked hotel room only so far and have not purchased ticket yet. I can get 7 days ticket from Military base MWR later.

The villa is very expensive and I know that's one reason it's costing a lot...even regular room of official hotels are over priced during holidays but it's just nice to sleep away from kids after long day if you get 1 bed room villa LOL
You mentioned that you can get the 7-day ticket from Military Base later. If you get Military discounted tickets, did you ask if you could get the Military rate for your room? You can at least get it on the room that you are checking in on for December 17th. For your flights, I like to use the Hopper app to see when is the best time to buy my airline tickets. It has worked great for me on several vacations. I hope you and your family have a wonderful time at WDW. Yes, it is very different than DL, but it is still fabulous. :)

Upvote 0

macefamily

If going for the holidays try to get the Mickey's Christmas tickets. You can make your MK trip for that event. Should be much smaller crowds with several additional perks.

Upvote 0

MDB12

Original Poster
You mentioned that you can get the 7-day ticket from Military Base later. If you get Military discounted tickets, did you ask if you could get the Military rate for your room? You can at least get it on the room that you are checking in on for December 17th. For your flights, I like to use the Hopper app to see when is the best time to buy my airline tickets. It has worked great for me on several vacations. I hope you and your family have a wonderful time at WDW. Yes, it is very different than DL, but it is still fabulous. :)

Yes I did call DW and asked about military discount for room rate of 12/17 but it was all booked😢
I will call back again if someone canceled but it's unlikely I think.

I didn't know about Hopper app, let me check it out.
I was checking price at Google flight and I purchased a little under $3,000 for 4 people but now it's over $5,000 !!
I think I've got a good deal for holiday season.

Thank you for your warm reply !😊

Upvote 0

Cowboy Steve

Personally, the Holidays at Disney are my favorite... and we have almost exclusively visited right after Thanksgiving. In fact, this year we arrive on the 27th, which is the Sat after turkey day. We are driving from Ohio towing a 42' 5th wheel... leaving EARLY Friday morning. My wife is questioning my sanity driving the I-75 corridor on Black Friday... but my sanity has been in doubt for many years now... so... lol. The holiday decorations are really neat and just about every square inch of the property (seems like anyway) gets decorated.

Upvote 0

crawale

Hello

I need your opinion!

1: FIRST DW trip !! 2 adult 2 high schooler from California
2: planning to go during school winter break this year.
3: 7days to spend at parks

Total coast for Air tickets, official hotels, park tickets will be about $15,000. ( not includes foods and shopping )

I guess end up I costs $20,000 total.

Question!!
Is it worth to spend that much ?

( we don't want to go when weather is hot, we can't go when kids have school)
If you love crowds it will be great.

Upvote 0

MDB12

Original Poster
If you love crowds it will be great.
I have big kids going to High school, I can’t go to Disney in the off season. When school is off DW is crowded as all we know.
DW in summer is too hot for us.

If kids were early elementary grades then I of course I would love to avoid the busiest time.

Upvote 0

MDB12

Original Poster
Personally, the Holidays at Disney are my favorite... and we have almost exclusively visited right after Thanksgiving. In fact, this year we arrive on the 27th, which is the Sat after turkey day. We are driving from Ohio towing a 42' 5th wheel... leaving EARLY Friday morning. My wife is questioning my sanity driving the I-75 corridor on Black Friday... but my sanity has been in doubt for many years now... so... lol. The holiday decorations are really neat and just about every square inch of the property (seems like anyway) gets decorated.
Oh please drive safe from Ohio and have a wonderful time !! 😊

Upvote 0

Redhawk

Boardwalk is a great hotel. Easy walk to Epcot and Hollywood Studios but can also take the boat service. One short bus ride to AK and MK. Plus if you let the teens wander off on their own - the Boardwalk has some fun stuff. Also look at Swan and Dolphin - same general location but less money than Disney proper hotels and you still get esrky entry/late night perk - which is about the only perk left.
If you have Marriott Bonvoy reward points perhaps you can use them for free nights at the Swan or Dolphin, which are Marriott properties and quasi-Disney. They have Disney decor and also park transportation, and as Magicmom203 said, you get the early entry perk. I'm not sure about the late-night perk, which my husband and I loved because we're not early risers. Seems like that was done away with this year but perhaps it's been brought back.

Upvote 0

yensid1967

Looking at your breakdown for hotels...why not just stay at AK Villas for 8 days and save 'some' money?(PS- I can put you in a 3 star hotel near Disney Springs offsite for around $61/night...so close you could walk but they did have shuttles last time I was there)
Depending on where you are(assuming you are in the US), why not check out Amtrak..they are usually cheaper than flying and it is probably a mode of transportation you never thought of!(I too a short ride on Amtrak in August to get the feel of traveling by train...it was a great experience, comfortable seats and no hassle to buy tickets, board the train, etc...I wished our trip was a little longer in the end!)

I have helped a few people with trips and saved them money by staying off site, if you would be interested in finding a cheaper price off site, send me a private message! I'll be happy to help! I am not a travel agent, just someone that likes to help!

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom