Is it worth at $700 savings to stay at Pop Century?

WDWFan2018

Original Poster
We are currently booked at POFQ. My kids are 8 and 5. Would you take the $700 savings and stay at POP or spend the money to stay at POFQ? We don't do the parks every day. We usually take 2 days to go to DS and chill by the pool.

JTT

I love POFQ but I would save the $700 and stay at the POP. You can get a refurbished room with the trundle bed that gives you a nice table and chairs when the bed is folded up. POP has access to the new sky liner gondolas. Also, your kids will probably like the decor of POP better than the POFQ. It's brightly colored and it's an easy walk to the Art of Animation resort.

John park hopper

We stayed recently at POFQ with my son and, daughterinlaw and granddaughters age 4 and 6 and they lived the pool. We did not utilize the resort as much as we should have-- all our time was spent in the parks. You need to ask yourself how much time will I spend at the resort if it is just a place to sleep I'd go with POP and use the $7O0 on other things.

Wendy Pleakley

If I'm spending time at a resort, I'll always choose a moderate over a value.

POFQ is a nice resort to just walk around. You can also walk to Riverside and use their pool, I believe. That's two nice pools to use during your non-park days.

Taking a boat to Disney Springs is one of those "only at Disney" things, which is one of the reasons we stay onsite to begin with. Of course, the gondola's are an awfully enticing reason to stay at Pop.

POFQ is better. I think it's fair to say that a moderate will always be better than a value. Whether it's $700 better is a matter of personal opinion.

If money's not a big issue, spend the extra for a nicer resort. If you're on a tight budget, the $700 can make a difference in terms of better meals or other perks.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
POFQ is better. I think it's fair to say that a moderate will always be better than a value.

I don't think its fair to say a mod is always better than a value.
I've stayed at all 5 values, 2 mods (POR in a RR and CSR), and 1 deluxe (CR, TPV, CL) and while the mods and deluxes have some pros ofver values they also have their cons and honestly for me the cons outway the pros of the mods and deluxes and for the most part I will stay and will recommend staying value especially with kids and even without since I do not have kids of my own.

LUVofDIS

I would save the $700, visit other resorts on off days if you want to see them. POP's pools are nice enough plus you have access to AoA. The food is okay - good, the transportation will be better come September or just after. So I guess it also depends on when you are visiting. Also, which parks are the most important to you.

KeithVH

The total transaction between the two hotels may be $700 less for POP but you're not taking into account the tangible (and intangible) differences that exist. It would be one thing if the two hotels were roughly equivalent. However, as has been pointed out more than once, you are giving up several obvious things to save money. And probably some secondary benefits as a result of where you stay (like easier/reduced travel times, better clientele, access to other services, etc).

If it's all about the benjamins, then, of course, stay at Pop. If you want a better experience, you would be better off at POFQ. Only you can really define what that is worth to you.

Tom P.

Everyone's mileage varies. Several folks here are telling you how the moderates are measurably better than the values. OTOH, I'm not a big fan of the moderates. Mostly because they are too large and spread out. Granted, French Quarter is the least big of the moderates, so it has an advantage in that regard over the others.

But, as an example, our family has stayed multiple times at each of Riverside and Art of Animation. I prefer AoA, hands down. I just like the resort better. I wouldn't stay there because it costs less. I would stay there because I like it better.

My point is that there are pros and cons to everything, and you have to decide what works best for your family. For a $700 difference, I would definitely choose Pop Century. But that's just my opinion.

Disney Dad 3000

As has been said, every one's tastes and priorities are different. I personally would stay at Pop and save the 700 for a future trip. Or take that 700 and split stay Pop and upgrade 2-3 of your Pop nights at BW or WL.

Now that the rooms have been refurbished , you aren't running into a bed when you walk in, an added bonus. Pools at Pop are pretty basic and the theming isn't on par with POFQ, but they are decent. We actually liked the food court at Pop pretty well. Plus there's only one bus stop and a super quick ride to HS and AK. Skyliner on the way provides a easier resort return than waiting for the bus. Plus with Skyliner you have easy access to the Boardwalk area for relaxing, etc and caribbean/riviera/swolphin for other meal options.
We like PO too, so either way, I think you'll have a good time.

Stellajack

Premium Member
We are currently booked at POFQ. My kids are 8 and 5. Would you take the $700 savings and stay at POP or spend the money to stay at POFQ? We don't do the parks every day. We usually take 2 days to go to DS and chill by the pool.
Truthfully, the only way to really know is to stay at POFQ at least once, especially if you have previously stayed at Pop or another value. I love POR and my husband prefers POFQ. My advice is to try FQ to determine for yourself. It appears that you have been to Disney more than once by your statement that "we usually take 2 days to go to DS and chill by the pool." Anyway, enjoy the trip whatever you decide!

Tom 55

I have stayed at both resorts with kids. The difference being moderate rooms are 60 square feet bigger than value rooms and moderates have a hot tub. POFQ has a really cool dragon slide. Pop has 2 pools. This is the one called Computer pool near building #9. Does this help you make up your mind?

Attachments

• IMG_1002.JPG
    IMG_1002.JPG
    129.2 KB · Views: 234
  • IMG_1001.JPG
    IMG_1001.JPG
    148.8 KB · Views: 237
  • IMG_1003.JPG
    IMG_1003.JPG
    131 KB · Views: 231
  • IMG_1000.JPG
    IMG_1000.JPG
    124.1 KB · Views: 234
  • 20190424_083548[1].jpg
    20190424_083548[1].jpg
    129 KB · Views: 230

Coaster Lover

In the Parks
No
How much time do you plan to stay at the hotel? We have had stays where we were at the parks from rope drop to closing time and were literally ONLY in the hotels to sleep. For such a trip, I would gladly take the extra 700 USD for in park spending (that's a lot of snacks, meals, and merch). However, if you plan to spend more time at the hotel (days "off", pool days, etc), then spending more for a better hotel experience might be worth it. Pop is (by no means) a "bad" hotel. Even if you are spending time at the hotel (as opposed to in the park), you're still going to be comfortable and feel immersed in the Disney experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom