Is it just my imagination or has Disney been on point with the air conditioning lately?

Yert3

Original Poster
Over the past, I want to say, 3 years or so, the insides of attractions and shops have been unbearably hot. Far gone are the days of having a nice 60°F (15.6°C) indoor temperature. Obviously they’re cutting back on the AC to save money and for environmental reasons. But I have to say, I have been pleasantly surprised over the past couple weeks or so. The AC has been great, dare I say, even cool inside most buildings and attractions. Heck, even every monorail I’ve taken the past few weeks has had the AC running and that has been a rare situation the past few years. Keep it up, Disney.

Last edited:

Disstevefan1

I have to say, it has not been that hot in central Florida the past couple weeks, the last few days is been actually cold (relatively speaking) at night. I think the real test will come with the dog days of summer.

Yert3

Original Poster
I have to say, it has not been that hot in central Florida the past couple weeks, the last few days is been actually cold (relatively speaking) at night. I think the real test will come with the dog days of summer.
I know. I live here. To give an example, It’s 82° right now and the Buzz queue was actually cool. In the recent past even at 82° it would have been a sauna in there.

Disstevefan1

I know. I live here. To give an example, It’s 82° right now and the Buzz queue was actually cool. In the recent past even at 82° it would have been a sauna in there.

I know too. I live 19 miles from WDW. I don't feel the humidity right now, even 82 feels tolerable when it's not so humid.

I hope you are right, but they will have to run the AC even cooler when it gets hot and humid, and not leave it where it is now, that's not going to cut it.

SirWillow

when I was there a couple of weeks ago when the temps where hitting the upper 80's each day, there were several places- show lobbies, a couple of rides, etc., where it was obvious the A/C was having a hard time keeping up. A couple of them were notably warm. While a few spots were still doing well and on the cool side, I'd say that the overall weather conditions have had more to do with your cool temps than the A/C.

Yert3

Original Poster
when I was there a couple of weeks ago when the temps where hitting the upper 80's each day, there were several places- show lobbies, a couple of rides, etc., where it was obvious the A/C was having a hard time keeping up. A couple of them were notably warm. While a few spots were still doing well and on the cool side, I'd say that the overall weather conditions have had more to do with your cool temps than the A/C.
I’m really not so sure. Like I said, this is a thing I’ve been noticing for a few years now. The past few months, even when it’s been 60° or even lower, I've found myself uncomfortably hot in almost all buildings, so I don’t think the outside temps have a lot to do with it. You worked at Disney back when they actually kept the insides cold as ice, point being, we both know what their AC units are capable of, even when it’s 95° out. I’m not alone in this. I asked my mother if she noticed a difference and she said she did as well. Love your videos, by the way.

Last edited:

TinkerBelle8878

I was in Epcot last May for a few hours and it was a typical hot, muggy, raining on and off day. No sun. But you could pass out on line for Soarin. It seemed warm in many but that was one ride where it was extremely uncomfortable and a 20 minute wait in that unnecessary heat. I'm all for the environment, but its Florida. Its a hot time of year. This is just being cheap and I would think computers and ride systems would be more prone to overheating and breakdowns. To quote Elaine Benes : "Mrs Seinfeld, I beg of you turn on the air conditioner" And yes it was nearing that level of discomfort.

Yert3

Original Poster
I was in Epcot last May for a few hours and it was a typical hot, muggy, raining on and off day. No sun. But you could pass out on line for Soarin. It seemed warm in many but that was one ride where it was extremely uncomfortable and a 20 minute wait in that unnecessary heat. I'm all for the environment, but its Florida. Its a hot time of year. This is just being cheap and I would think computers and ride systems would be more prone to overheating and breakdowns. To quote Elaine Benes : "Mrs Seinfeld, I beg of you turn on the air conditioner" And yes it was nearing that level of discomfort.
Tell me about it. Acording to wdwmagic, there was an effort to go around and get the thermostat to the highest acceptable temperature they could, but they went far beyond it. It’s way too hot. Thankfully, the past two or so weeks have been a very noticeable improvement.

Last edited:

Tori

A lot of buildings have been uncomfortably cold lately. I have to bring a light sweater when I go to parks.

draybook

I'm going to go with your imagination. The Nemo queue is usually nice and chilly but has been room temp warm this week. I can understand on the two days where the high was barely 60, but it's been consistent that the AC has been lacking. That's just our experience.

SirWillow

I’m really not so sure. Like I said, this is a thing I’ve been noticing for a few years now. The past few months, even when it’s been 60° or even lower, I've found myself uncomfortably hot in almost all buildings, so I don’t think the outside temps have a lot to do with it. You worked at Disney back when they actually kept the insides cold as ice, point being, we both know what their AC units are capable of, even when it’s 95° out. I’m not alone in this. I asked my mother if she noticed a difference and she said she did as well. Love your videos, by the way.

That's true, they did use to be cold almost everywhere. There were, however, always a couple of places that we could always count on to be much warmer, where the A/C didn't keep it as cool as in other places. Splash Mountain's queue was one place that was usually pretty warm- and it was actually one place that my daughter and I noticed that was fairly cool on this last trip, especially in the loading area.

I obviously don't know for sure, but I wonder if it's as much due to lack of upkeep/ replacements on the A/C units as anything- although playing with the thermostats is certainly possible as well. But many of the places we were it was warm enough to be uncomfortable and you would see cast members working indoor locations sweating from it.

Either way though- lack of upkeep or turning thermostats up- is another in a long growing list of places they're cutting costs. It's really sad to see it in so many areas at WDW, especially when they're already making huge profits in the parks and there's no need for it other than trying to squeeze every penny out. I'm waiting until it all catches up with them, like it eventually did at Disneyland when they did the same thing, but that might not be pretty.

Minnesota disney fan

That's true, they did use to be cold almost everywhere. There were, however, always a couple of places that we could always count on to be much warmer, where the A/C didn't keep it as cool as in other places. Splash Mountain's queue was one place that was usually pretty warm- and it was actually one place that my daughter and I noticed that was fairly cool on this last trip, especially in the loading area.

I obviously don't know for sure, but I wonder if it's as much due to lack of upkeep/ replacements on the A/C units as anything- although playing with the thermostats is certainly possible as well. But many of the places we were it was warm enough to be uncomfortable and you would see cast members working indoor locations sweating from it.

Either way though- lack of upkeep or turning thermostats up- is another in a long growing list of places they're cutting costs. It's really sad to see it in so many areas at WDW, especially when they're already making huge profits in the parks and there's no need for it other than trying to squeeze every penny out. I'm waiting until it all catches up with them, like it eventually did at Disneyland when they did the same thing, but that might not be pretty.

Okay, Sir Willow, I'll bite. What actually happened in Disneyland when it caught up to them???? I never heard about anything like that.

SirWillow

Okay, Sir Willow, I'll bite. What actually happened in Disneyland when it caught up to them???? I never heard about anything like that.

It's no secret. It led to declining attendance, horrible looking park (in comparison to what it usually looked like), and eventually the big accident on Thunder Mountain- all of it as a result of their cutting back on labor, expenses, and upkeep.

Raineman

In the past, I’ve noticed that the queue lines can get warm, but even riding the attraction itself can be uncomfortably warm. The 2 worst attractions for this, IMO, are PoTC and SSE; at some points, I was hoping to get splashed by a “cannonball” on Pirates just to cool off a bit.

wdwfan22

The studios has always been the worst offender for keeping stores and rides cool. And I’ve yet to see any change. On a recent visit to the Hollywood brown derby even the restaurant was warm making for an uncomfortable meal.

Minnesota disney fan

It's no secret. It led to declining attendance, horrible looking park (in comparison to what it usually looked like), and eventually the big accident on Thunder Mountain- all of it as a result of their cutting back on labor, expenses, and upkeep.

Thanks for answering, I see! I wonder how declining attendance would work in WDW though? It's always so crowded no matter what. However, my husband and I have decided to not go to WDW in the near future, and perhaps not at all, due to present circumstances at WDW; ie: over crowding, price increases everywhere, upcharges for events that used to be free, etc. I imagine it's a win/win situation for them due to over crowding which leads to frustrated people paying for upcharges. But not us. I' m not writing it off completely. Maybe we will get the "bug" in a few years and give it another try. But we're over it for now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom