Is It Just Me, or Do Omnimovers Stop a Lot More Than They Used To?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Heppenheimer

Just to echo what a few others have said, one day it will probably be you that causes the brief stop. Will you want people complaining about you or calling you names for being unable to physically move as quickly as you did a couple decades ago? What if you develop Parkinsons or maybe have a child with physical challenges? I suppose we could just implement a rule that only physically fit specimens can go to the parks.
Given the obesity rate in this country, then Disney World would go out of business.

nickys

Premium Member
We had “ride stops” during our June trip at the following attractions: Spaceship earth, The Living Seas with Nemo and Friends, The Gran Fiesta Tour, Under the Sea, Peoplemover, Pirate of the Carribean, and it’s a small world.
I’m beginning to think the same... this is getting a little ridiculous. I’m not in favor of denying access but something needs to be done and I don’t know the solution. Can you imagine how often the Skyliner is going to stop?

The Skyliner won’t need to stop. :banghead::banghead:

Except possibly at the Riviera station.

nickys

Premium Member
I find that hard to believe. Explain please

There are the double turn wheels at each terminus station. Cabins for loading or unloading ECVs, wheelchairs and even strollers (if the adult is nervy) will be pulled onto the second wheel. They can take as long as they like without affecting the rest of the line, and are just inserted back onto the line when ready, in the gaps left by those pulled off.

Kingoglow

Quite right. How dare the old and infirm spoil the enjoyment of others. You are very selfish and if you are lucky, you may live long enough to become a 'bit less able'. Another example of Me Me Me attitude

So, as you say, spoiling the enjoyment of others - isn't, in itself, self and rude?

I agree 100% with the OP that this has become a huge issue that ruins the experience that everyone is paying for. It is not okay that a single disabled person can stop the ride for 300+ other guests. That ratio is just not right.

The problem is with Disney for not having a better solution for on-boarding the people that refuse walk onto the ride. They handled it well with TSMM where there is a separate loading area and the vehicle is pushed into the line of cars. Increase the gaps in several places (or remove ride vehicles) operate a loading zone for the handicap and big eaters. The send the special vehicles into the gaps when they can.

Kingoglow

Just to echo what a few others have said, one day it will probably be you that causes the brief stop. Will you want people complaining about you or calling you names for being unable to physically move as quickly as you did a couple decades ago? What if you develop Parkinsons or maybe have a child with physical challenges? I suppose we could just implement a rule that only physically fit specimens can go to the parks.

I am down with that.
Never considered myself someone that forces my problems onto others though; I might just be a good person.

CLEtoWDW

There are the double turn wheels at each terminus station. Cabins for loading or unloading ECVs, wheelchairs and even strollers (if the adult is nervy) will be pulled onto the second wheel. They can take as long as they like without affecting the rest of the line, and are just inserted back onto the line when ready, in the gaps left by those pulled off.
In theory that makes sense but I’ll reserve my final judgement until I see it executed when it opens. I still think the thing is going to be absolute flop and Disney will regret it a couple years after opening it.

Kingoglow

I have to have, what I call, a 'perfect ride' of HM when I visit. I ride HM over and over again until I make it through without a stop.

I find Disney's current operation of HM and UTS to be lackluster. There are better ways to handle the loading of the disabled and heavy eaters, than to disrupt the experience of so many others.

nickys

Premium Member
So, as you say, spoiling the enjoyment of others - isn't, in itself, self and rude?

I agree 100% with the OP that this has become a huge issue that ruins the experience that everyone is paying for. It is not okay that a single disabled person can stop the ride for 300+ other guests. That ratio is just not right.

The problem is with Disney for not having a better solution for on-boarding the people that refuse walk onto the ride. They handled it well with TSMM where there is a separate loading area and the vehicle is pushed into the line of cars. Increase the gaps in several places (or remove ride vehicles) operate a loading zone for the handicap and big eaters. The send the special vehicles into the gaps when they can.

They can build that kind of system for new rides. What do you suggest they do for existing rides though?

nickys

Premium Member
In theory that makes sense but I’ll reserve my final judgement until I see it executed when it opens. I still think the thing is going to be absolute flop and Disney will regret it a couple years after opening it.

I’m getting a sense of deja vu here. In which case, I’m going to take a stab and guess that my explanation was unnecessary because you’ve already seen it several,times over on the Gondola thread. But just for fun, define “absolute flop”. And how are we going to know that Disney will regret it.

Omnimovin

It's impossible to get stuck upside down on a coaster because of gravity.
I wouldn’t say it’s impossible but it is unlikely, it has happened a few times, usually because the wheels jammed up for some reason and made the train stop..

HoldenC

I suppose we could just implement a rule that only physically fit specimens can go to the
Now that is a great idea! The amount of overweight and obese people also ruins the ambience of the park. Too badly disney enables their lazy lifestyle by a not requiring written permission from a doctor when they rent an ecv

HoldenC

Quite right. How dare the old and infirm spoil the enjoyment of others. You are very selfish and if you are lucky, you may live long enough to become a 'bit less able'. Another example of Me Me Me attitude
Actually I would argue it is they who are selfish. If you know you cannot physically walk around because of age, that should be a sign somewhere like the Magic Kingdom is not the place for you 🤔

HoldenC

Yes, let’s keep that class of riff-raff from the parks. Mustn’t have them clogging up the lines or wait times....
giphy.gif

LongballMG

I would also argue that people are more aware of what they can and can't do and also advocate for themselves.

15 years ago when I worked at the Backlot Tour, we would ask people in wheelchairs if they could "take 1 or 2 steps" from the ramp to the Shuttle or if they wanted to remain in their wheelchair and be strapped in.

The family would answer "no they can't" before we could even finish the question and sometimes, but rarely, the guest would say they actually could take 1 or 2 steps.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom