Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

Movielover

In what way?

Having said that, Orlando’s was inferior in its last decade of operation.

The set itself was not as fully built out as WDW's. leaving a lot more of the structure exposed. Beyond just the visual element I believe (I'll have to look this back up because I can't find my original research) that some of the additional water and special effects were not installed as they were in WDW. It's the same effect but less of it if that makes sense? Again I'll have to go back and back that up. Also I'm not sure what state it's in right now because of upkeep.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
The set itself was not as fully built out as WDW's. leaving a lot more of the structure exposed. Beyond just the visual element I believe (I'll have to look this back up because I can't find my original research) that some of the additional water and special effects were not installed as they were in WDW. It's the same effect but less of it if that makes sense? Again I'll have to go back and back that up. Also I'm not sure what state it's in right now because of upkeep.
Can’t say I noticed that. But I’ll certainly look into it now you’ve said it.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
So sure, they could shoehorn Indy in by doing a plot such as that - but a plot like that neither does justice to AK or to Indy. Indy is an archaeologist. An archaeologist isn't one who studies history, but one who studies human history via human artifacts. Every one of the Indiana Jones movies is about the search for some human artifact that has mystical properties - the Ark of the Covenant, the Sankara Stones, the Holy Grail, and the Crystal Skull. Sure, from a setting point of view, Indy often visits locales that match some of the locales in Animal Kingdom, but from a thematic point of view, Indy is not really about anything to do with animals, nature, or man's relationship with nature (all themes of DAK). So being against Indy in DAK for me is twofold - I don't want to ruin DAK's thematic cohesion (and among the parks, it currently has the best cohesion), nor do I want a land based on Indy that doesn't do justice to the thematic elements of the Indiana Jones franchise.

So is Animal Kingdom a zoo or not a zoo? Disney claims it's not a zoo, but it seems people want everything to be 100% related to animals because of the name of the park.

Disney can easily make a land of a certain part of the world that Indy can have an attraction in, and still be a land based around the different animals of the region and other attractions related to that as well. Indy could even be searching for something and find something else that's much more important/significant that's animal or conservation related. We know from the movies that he's obsessed with making things right, so I could definitely see that happening.

lazyboy97o

No idea where to put this, but Joe Rohde made a very quick trip to Orlando. (36 hours)

In another post he commented: "...very important decisions are made in some very short periods of time...and you kind of have to be there for that period of time."

Hope a new expansion has been approved for DAK
It sounds more like it is related to Sausalito. Lots of decisions get forced by construction in themed entertainment.

Stripes

It sounds more like it is related to Sausalito. Lots of decisions get forced by construction in themed entertainment.
That's right, I forgot he's in charge of Marvel projects.

I don't think he'd have to fly out to Orlando to make a construction decision though. That's just a hunch.

RSoxNo1

I would argue it could fit. The theme at the heart of Animal Kingdom is Man vs. Nature, and Nature always triumphs. Indy vs Snakes, Indy vs Rats, Indy vs Ants... you get the idea. Sure it’s a little bit far-fetched, but so is Avatar.

Regardless, I haven’t heard much as of late on this project. (Or much of it going into Hollywood Studios either) I’ll post more if I hear more.
I think the starting point of Indiana Jones as a thematic tie to Animal Kingdom is better than the starting point for Avatar (looking purely at the plot of the movie). When you get deeper into both, they absolutely nailed the story treatment for Pandora and could certainly do the same with Indy if they so chose. Having said that, count me on team DHS for Indy.

jt04

I think the starting point of Indiana Jones as a thematic tie to Animal Kingdom is better than the starting point for Avatar (looking purely at the plot of the movie). When you get deeper into both, they absolutely nailed the story treatment for Pandora and could certainly do the same with Indy if they so chose. Having said that, count me on team DHS for Indy.

You made such a strong case for DAK, which I completely agree with, but what is the case for DHS in your opinion?

RSoxNo1

You made such a strong case for DAK, which I completely agree with. What is the case for DHS in your opinion.
With Indy there is already the leap from archaeologist to paleontologist in the novels. Beyond that, it's not that difficult a leap should they want to continue the dinosaur angle. Beyond that, man vs. animals, man vs. nature, and conservation can all be extensions of the Indiana Jones story that would fit into that park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom