Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

Timothy_Q

The GMR just wasn’t popular like that anymore. Why not replace it with something new and innovative. I understand it was a DHS original attraction but I don’t think a lengthy refurb would have saved it. With the direction the park is going it wouldn’t have made sense to keep it.
1- The park needs more capacity
2- The park is still about movies. GMR was DHS thesis ride
3- The park has tons of expansion space that should be used before you start replacing rides
4- The park needs more capacity (again)

Princess Leia

1- The park needs more capacity
2- The park is still about movies. GMR was DHS thesis ride
3- The park has tons of expansion space that should be used before you start replacing rides
4- The park needs more capacity (again)
GMR and Horizons were both the thesis rides of their parks, and now they’re gone :( I think the closest AK has to one is the Safari? Not sure what MK’s would be.

RSoxNo1

The GMR just wasn’t popular like that anymore. Why not replace it with something new and innovative. I understand it was a DHS original attraction but I don’t think a lengthy refurb would have saved it. With the direction the park is going it wouldn’t have made sense to keep it.
The fact that it wasn't "popular" would actually help them in this case. The park will be in desperate need of ride capacity not demand. It will have plenty of demand between Star Wars Land and Mickey and Minnie's that simply having the additional 2000+ ride capacity will help with guest satisfaction. By doing a proper refurb/update to GMR they would also make it more relevant for years to come.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
GMR was axed because it took too many cast members to operate and it didn't sell merch.
Add that to the cost of live fire effects and the cost of extensive animatronic upkeep and you can figure out why they nixed GMR....it was milking their little fledgling mom-n-pop company dry :rolleyes:
Plus the projected cost of the much needed (and deferred) refurb.

Rich Brownn

Well, the fact that it hadn't been upgraded since day one probably had a lot to do with the loss of popularity.

jt04

I shall never forget! No amount of screens can dim my love for live action movie scenes, aliens dropping down from the ceiling, and being transported into Munchkinland on the yellow brick road. Call me an old soul, but Disney just doesn’t do it like they used too.

I think it became an issue of IP ownership and media companies rushing to control properties in this new era that doomed the GMR. Twilight Zone likely has an expiration date too.

prfctlyximprct

I think it became an issue of IP ownership and media companies rushing to control properties in this new era that doomed the GMR. Twilight Zone likely has an expiration date too.

I hope you are wrong, but I sadly feel you may be right. I grew up watching Twilight zone on all major holidays with my mama, it will break my heart when it is no longer.

jt04

I hope you are wrong, but I sadly feel you may be right. I grew up watching Twilight zone on all major holidays with my mama, it will break my heart when it is no longer.

The tower will still be there. And the IP will likely end up somewhere............ In the Twilight Zone.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom