Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

doctornick

Indy retheme of Dinosaur, convert Restaurantosaurus to a adventurer themed restaurant, build an Indy themed bar, wooden coaster replacing Chester & Hester's, and non-Indy themed boat ride replaces Nemo.

To be honest, I'd much rather see a Shanghai Pirates version of Indy in DHS than that.

First of all, I think that POTC tech plus Indy would be a perfect fit and would set the ride apart from other Indy themed attractions. It's great to have variety among the parks.

Second, DHS could really use that type of ride - a high quality E-ticket, no height restriction, high capacity. Wish they would be building something like that right now (well, besides the Mickey ride, since that only replaced an existing attraction; I'm talking an actual addition).

But, mostly, because that re-imaging of Dinoland - as cool as that result probably would be - just seems like a colossal waste of money. I hate re-purposing perfectly fine existing attractions. Build new and actually add capacity. Dinosaur, the Boneyard, Restaurantosaurus - that stuff is all fine. Any marginal improvement by converting to Indy would relatively pointless. And why get ride of a perfectly good theater, in a park dying for indoor attractions to beat the heat?

Should they replace Chester and Hester's? Of course. But if that's the "big plan" then why not just tear down Dinorama and put in the Excavator and call it a day. Seems like the same capacity as the above reworking of the theme, much less cost and downtime, and keeps Dinosaurs in the animal park which should be there.

doctornick

for the sake of discussion, consider you're making final call and were allocated funds for only one project...
would a project going to mk be worth something not going in somewhere else?

I'd agree that they should continue to focus on building up the other parks as much as possible, especially when it comes to E-ticket big draws.

That said, I think there would be some value to adding some less splashy but high capacity attractions to MK. The theater actually seemed to me to be a good choice. I still would think it would be awesome/appropriate to build some version of Western River in Frontierland for the 50th.

Magic Feather

Any chance this comes with a South American animal trail?
I could be totally wrong, but I don’t think the south side of the park was built with animal enclosures in mind
The south side of the park wasn’t built with a South America either but you can build anything you want.

There are already some minimal animal facilities on the south side supporting the species in the oasis and dinoland. If they were already engaging in a large project in that area animal habits and housing could be constructed as part of the project. Now whether or not they would is another question.

The original masterplan had the Asia, Africa, and to a much lesser extent Oasis and Discovery Island as being the only Animal Exhibits, well real, living animal exhibits that is. It was planned to be a mirror of sorts, with two safaris bookending the NE and NW corners (Tiger River and Kilimanjaro) and two "not currently in existence creature" lands on the SE and SW (Dinoland and Beastly Kingdom).I would not expect a large-scale animal exhibit to come to the South side ever. Animal hospitals were too far away and not placed in a place where easy access could be maintained, and one animal trail doesn't really warrant building a giant new Animal hospital in my or Disney's eyes. Animal care will be staying on the North, slightly West, side of AK to accommodate Maharajah, Gorilla Falls, Kilimanjaro, AKL for the foreseeable future, if not forever.

So I'd love to be tracking "something" here, but there seems to be a lot of speculative interpretation of cryptic messages. Did I miss anything?
So far, with a few exceptions about one of a few Dinoland Plans and another one, most of the "concrete plans" have been shots in the dark-ish/ wishful thinking.

doctornick

The original masterplan had the Asia, Africa, and to a much lesser extent Oasis and Discovery Island as being the only Animal Exhibits, well real, living animal exhibits that is. It was planned to be a mirror of sorts, with two safaris bookending the NE and NW corners (Tiger River and Kilimanjaro) and two "not currently in existence creature" lands on the SE and SW (Dinoland and Beastly Kingdom).I would not expect a large-scale animal exhibit to come to the South side ever. Animal hospitals were too far away and not placed in a place where easy access could be maintained, and one animal trail doesn't really warrant building a giant new Animal hospital in my or Disney's eyes. Animal care will be staying on the North, slightly West, side of AK to accommodate Maharajah, Gorilla Falls, Kilimanjaro, AKL for the foreseeable future, if not forever.

I've always imagined that the huge cleared area north/somewhat west of Asia could be used for a new continental land (like Australia or South America) which would/could have significant live animals. That would be on the north side of the park near the animal hospital.

What was the original masterplan for that area, anyway? I know Tiger River Run was going to be much larger than Kali but I don't think it would have used all that land, would it have?

cheezbat

This is what needs to happen. DHS gets a water ride. They also get an Indy ride. Makes sense to keep him in the park the IP is already used in.
Epcot gets additional love for Imagination redo and a solid Spaceship Earth refurb.
Animal Kingdom gets a Jungle Book ride and another dark ride or two just to give park goers some other chances to get out of the heat.
Magic Kingdom gets a Snow White dark ride replacement FINALLY, as well as a Stitch replacement and another solid C or D ticket ride in Frontierland to absorb the crowds.

Dreaming I know, but this is honestly the kind of stuff the bigwigs should be looking at when considering what the parks need. It's so obvious to us hardcore fans, why is it so hard for execs to see?

mickEblu

So what are the odds of Indy actually going to AK? Is it a long shot or is this close to being greenlit?

EDIT: whoa, possible Indy boat ride for DHS with Shanghai Pirates tech?!

cjkeating

What are the chances DAK ever gets a non-IP attraction again?

Africa and Asia are such wonderful lands and I would love Dinoland USA to be upgraded without an entire ride themed around an IP. Would a new (wooden?) coaster in Chester and Hesters be featuring an IP?

(I'm okay with some IP before anyone points out Avatar, Dinosaur, Bug's Life, Lion King...)

rle4lunch

To be honest, I'd much rather see a Shanghai Pirates version of Indy in DHS than that.

First of all, I think that POTC tech plus Indy would be a perfect fit and would set the ride apart from other Indy themed attractions. It's great to have variety among the parks.

Second, DHS could really use that type of ride - a high quality E-ticket, no height restriction, high capacity. Wish they would be building something like that right now (well, besides the Mickey ride, since that only replaced an existing attraction; I'm talking an actual addition).

But, mostly, because that re-imaging of Dinoland - as cool as that result probably would be - just seems like a colossal waste of money. I hate re-purposing perfectly fine existing attractions. Build new and actually add capacity. Dinosaur, the Boneyard, Restaurantosaurus - that stuff is all fine. Any marginal improvement by converting to Indy would relatively pointless. And why get ride of a perfectly good theater, in a park dying for indoor attractions to beat the heat?

Should they replace Chester and Hester's? Of course. But if that's the "big plan" then why not just tear down Dinorama and put in the Excavator and call it a day. Seems like the same capacity as the above reworking of the theme, much less cost and downtime, and keeps Dinosaurs in the animal park which should be there.

There's nothing "perfectly fine" in dinoland except the bone yard. Dino needs work, and the whole land feels like DCA 1.0. For all the people screaming about ruining the pristine nature and mission statement of AK, look no farther than the half a$$ed approach that was used in dinoland.

FullSailDan

This is what needs to happen. DHS gets a water ride. They also get an Indy ride. Makes sense to keep him in the park the IP is already used in.
Epcot gets additional love for Imagination redo and a solid Spaceship Earth refurb.
Animal Kingdom gets a Jungle Book ride and another dark ride or two just to give park goers some other chances to get out of the heat.
Magic Kingdom gets a Snow White dark ride replacement FINALLY, as well as a Stitch replacement and another solid C or D ticket ride in Frontierland to absorb the crowds.

Dreaming I know, but this is honestly the kind of stuff the bigwigs should be looking at when considering what the parks need. It's so obvious to us hardcore fans, why is it so hard for execs to see?

I agree with everything except the Spaceship Earth Refurb. It's not a NEED right now. There are many other areas of Epcot that NEED work. Spaceship Earth, while not perfect in the eyes of those who have watched it change over the years, does it's job fairly well still for average park guests. It could use some minor touch ups here and there, but right now it just isn't as pressing as the rest of the futureworld. Living seas is a disaster, Land is a one and done except for the rare few of us who love LWTL, Imagination is a wreck, and then we have a whole empty pavillion just begging for something, ANYTHING. A restaurant that could be amazing, but sits dead, (still think it would be great turned into a "best of" the countries fine dining experience with a quick service side), and innoventions... what a sad graveyard.

DAK1928

I agree with everything except the Spaceship Earth Refurb. It's not a NEED right now. There are many other areas of Epcot that NEED work.

I certainly agree that other Future World projects should take precedence in the immediate future, but any upcoming FW rehabilitation would need to ensure its crown jewel feels modernized and relevant (looking at you, descent).

If the FW hotel and D23 revamp are to come to fruition, a plussed SE needs to be included in that vision.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom