Rumor Is Indiana Jones Planning an Adventure to Disney's Animal Kingdom?

sedati

Successful movies were imported into the parks, In tandem with original ideas. We got Lion King and Alien Encounter, Mermaid and Timekeeper.

Alien Encounter is an odd example as it grew out of an IP that was pulled. Would an attraction designed and built around the Guardians of the Galaxy world and characters suddenly become wholly original if late in the process they alternated the color scheme and switched out Star Lord for Space King, and Rocket Raccoon for Turbo Hampster? Would it be better?

Clopin Trouillefou

Some recent proposals I have seen do have "cross promotion tie in" (with long justifications explained in the proposals), that are technically IP-less. While that may be the corporate wording for the mandate, the reality of the mandate is: Can this draw more revenue than simply from ticket sales? As in, will it have merch, food & bev, etc. accompanying it.

hi all, forgive me if I'm conflating things, but is the expectation still that primeval whirl/dino-spinner are removed next year, regardless of any potential indy presence? and is the hinted "don't cry for me anandapur" plan independent of this as well? I only get the chance to catch up on slow days so I thoroughly appreciate the info haha.

shortstop

hi all, forgive me if I'm conflating things, but is the expectation still that primeval whirl/dino-spinner are removed next year, regardless of any potential indy presence? and is the hinted "don't cry for me anandapur" plan independent of this as well? I only get the chance to catch up on slow days so I thoroughly appreciate the info haha.
I'm no insider, but I don't think I've seen anyone say anything concrete with what will or won't be happening, so I wouldn't expect Dino-rama to be removed next year with the info we have.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

You can catch up on the latest here: http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/rumor-and-timeline-tracker-v-2.934137/

Insiders say things likely to happen but no final decisions or timelines yet.

No Name

"Projects are being pushed through development because an executive insists on getting a new brand into the parks quickly."

Still waiting for the "quickly" part.

They're getting TRON into the parks at a breakneck speed. ;)

That's not always the case, but certainly is with things like FEA, MB, and this.

HauntedMansionFLA

Why is it the same people who criticize Disney for losing the synergistic Potter IP to Uni also criticize Disney for promoting franchises they actually own in the same way? Odd.
Who was the executive that let Harry Potter slip through their fingers? Frozen mania will be here again when the next movie comes out. Look out Speedway over at MK.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That's not always the case, but certainly is with things like FEA, MB, and this.

FEA was indeed one of their quickest turnarounds from movie to ride: 31 months.

Coco will be similar at probably 30 months.

And from Vol 1 of GotG to Mission Breakout: 33 months. (Though, 6.7 years until the coaster.)

But I'm not sure if anyone wants to call 2 1/2 a half years "quickly." Additionally, it then becomes difficult to name any other 'quick' turnarounds, because, besides those few 'speedy' turnarounds, the numbers get worse for 'quick'...

It took 3 years for the first Toy Story attraction; 5 1/2 years for the TRON cycle at Shanghai (and that's counting from the sequel); Cars Land took 6 years; and it will be 6 1/2 years from purchasing LucasFilm to the first SWL opening.

The one time Disney was really really quick was opening "It's Tough to be a Bug" 7 months before the movie premier.

And... where are the attractions (or even the announcements for the attractions) based on: WALL-E, Up, The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Wreck-It-Ralph, Big Hero 6, Inside Out, or Moana? If there are going to be any more quick turnarounds, then, they need to get working on more IPs right now... and it doesn't seem they are except for the small handful already announced.

Handy chart...

upload_2017-11-29_15-59-57.png

Now, I'm not saying there isn't a IP push... I'm quibbling over the offhand description of that push as happening 'quickly.'

Note that I didn't even include the length of time between Steam Boat Willie and M&MRR. ;)

AEfx

Now, I'm not saying there isn't a IP push... I'm quibbling over the offhand description of that push as happening 'quickly.'

Note that I didn't even include the length of time between Steam Boat Willie and M&MRR. ;)

LOL @ the last one. :)

That said, I think that chart does kind of demonstrate a strike against the "they are just tie-in promotion" idea of synergy. If they were doing that, they would be coordinating the attractions for release concurrently with the films. What is kind of funny is that a few years ago, a lot of the members here were complaining that Disney *didn't* have anything major ready to go for Frozen (the quote I remember seeing most was "Iger was too (whatever) to believe enough in the film").

What it feels like to me is that they have a property, it becomes successful, and they add it to the parks to please the people coming to the parks who want to see them. It's difficult for me to think it's all about "promoting" IPs that are long out on home video before most of these actually appear.

No Name

And from Vol 1 of GotG to Mission Breakout: 33 months. (Though, 6.7 years until the coaster.)

But I'm not sure if anyone wants to call 2 1/2 a half years "quickly." Additionally, it then becomes difficult to name any other 'quick' turnarounds, because, besides those few 'speedy' turnarounds, the numbers get worse for 'quick'...

It took 3 years for the first Toy Story attraction; 5 1/2 years for the TRON cycle at Shanghai (and that's counting from the sequel); Cars Land took 6 years; and it will be 6 1/2 years from purchasing LucasFilm to the first SWL opening.

The one time Disney was really really quick was opening "It's Tough to be a Bug" 7 months before the movie premier.

And... where are the attractions (or even the announcements for the attractions) based on: WALL-E, Up, The Princess and the Frog, Tangled, Wreck-It-Ralph, Big Hero 6, Inside Out, or Moana? If there are going to be any more quick turnarounds, then, they need to get working on more IPs right now... and it doesn't seem they are except for the small handful already announced.

Handy chart...

View attachment 247194

From original movie to ride? That's an awfully odd way of looking at it.

For example, GotG's release date is hardly relevant to the situation. Tom Staggs approved no major Marvel attraction in the US (and only one overseas) over his entire 5 or 6 years. Bob Chapek took over and didn't like that. Design was quick, and the tower closed for less than 5 months. I'd say that's faster than normal Disney speed. There are plenty more examples if you need more.

The author never implied this was the case for every new project or every new hit movie, just for more now than before. But even with your timelines, since recent and upcoming projects like Frozen Ever After and Mission Breakout are the fastest you can find, you're only validating the author's choice of words. ??

On a side note... of course we're debating one word in the author's sentence rather than his overall point about the larger issue, which of course stands. Also, you're killing me with "Toy Story Ranger Spin." You definitely did that on purpose. Did you make that chart just for me? And finally, there are smaller-scale Inside Out and Big Hero 6 rides attractions coming.

Last edited:

EricsBiscuit

Handy chart...

View attachment 247194

Also Sleeping Beauty Castle was like 4 years BEFORE sleeping beauty.

GlacierGlacier

Handy chart...

View attachment 247194

CTX/Dinosaur aren't in there. Though that's OK, I forgot Dinosaur was a movie too.

Cesar R M

Handy chart...

View attachment 247194

Are there really plans on doing a full overhaul of Mexico's ride to COCO?

Cesar R M

LOL @ the last one. :)

That said, I think that chart does kind of demonstrate a strike against the "they are just tie-in promotion" idea of synergy. If they were doing that, they would be coordinating the attractions for release concurrently with the films. What is kind of funny is that a few years ago, a lot of the members here were complaining that Disney *didn't* have anything major ready to go for Frozen (the quote I remember seeing most was "Iger was too (whatever) to believe enough in the film").

What it feels like to me is that they have a property, it becomes successful, and they add it to the parks to please the people coming to the parks who want to see them. It's difficult for me to think it's all about "promoting" IPs that are long out on home video before most of these actually appear.
Regardless or not.. FEA actually had a ride and presence.
Tangled only got a darn toilet.

The good side is, it got a decent float in the parade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom